Tutorial  Updated

How to have SEPARATE ATMOSPHERE AND SXOS EMUNAND HIDDEN PARTITIONS ON THE SAME SD TUTORIAL!

GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY!!! I have decided to make a..

How to have
SEPARATE ATMOSPHERE AND SXOS EMUNAND HIDDEN PARTITIONS ON THE SAME SD TUTORIAL!

PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE GUIDE BEFORE PROCEEDING. I WILL DO MY BEST TO MAKE THIS COMPLETE AND EASY TO FOLLOW.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE OR DATA LOSS DUE TO THE USE OF THIS GUIDE. I DO THIS FOR FUN AND AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL. i HAVE TESTED THIS METHOD AND HAVE SET UP A COUPLE SD CARDS.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!

The intent of this guide is to make ONE SD CARD with TWO HIDDEN EMUNANDS. One on 11.0 for SXOS and one with current firmware for Atmosphere.

More than likely the currently installed games WILL NOT WORK IN ATMOSPHERE if they were installed with the SXOS installer.

Tinfoil/awoo installed games may work fine. This is SXOS 's fault as the installer patched stuff in a way that is not compatible with the other CFWs.

There is also a section on SHRINKING the SXOS partition if you intend to only use it for USB loading. To minimize the impact it has on your SD and keep your HDD functionality for all 3000+ compatible games.. If you do this the current SXOS EmuNAND will break including installed games and saves.. IF you made backups of the save data you can restore them later.

Bottom line is, you will probably be reinstalling games and you need a backup of everything.

This guide make a few assumptions.. I will assume you are a current SXOS user with a working 11.0 Hidden Partition EmuNAND with a FAT32 SD. No Atmosphere installation required. There many ways to accomplish most things in this guide. I am doing the bulk of the work on the PC to limit the amount of times we take the SD out of the fragile Switch SD slot.

If you do not understand the above then this tutorial may be out of your league. Please google beginner switch hacking and learn some basics.

EmuNAND is the same thing as EmuMMC. It's just an older term. I call it by the old school term. Old habits..

This guide starts with a SXOS installation in place. If you wanted to go the other direction, adding a SXOS partition to an Atmosphere EmuNAND SD you would have to adjust accordingly but the main concept still stands.

DO NOT USE EXFAT!!! EVER! NINTENDO'S FAULTY DRIVER WILL CAUSE DATA LOSS!! DONT BE LAZY! FORMAT TO FAT32 AND DO IT RIGHT TO AVOID FUTURE ISSUES! I KNOW YOU DON'T WANT TO. DO IT ANYWAY! ANY EXPERIENCED PERSON WILL TELL YOU THE SAME. WHY WOULD WE ALL GO THROUGH THE HASSLE IF IT WASN'T NECESSARY? DO IT!

THERE ARE OTHER MULTI BOOT METHODS. THIS ONE IS THE MOST STABLE. YOU COULD JUST MAKE A FILE BASED EMUNAND FOR ATMOSPHERE. FILE BASED EMUNANDS ARE KNOWN TO CORRUPT. Good way to lose all your saves.

You will need a few things
  • Latest version of Hekate.
  • Latest NxNandManager
  • Latest EmuTool
  • Atmosphere SD files
  • Latest Sig Patches (the GBATemp thread)
  • A Raw Backup Of your SXOS EmuNAND (if you don't have one we will make one.)
  • A Backup of your current Atmosphere EmuNAND (if you don't have a current Atmosphere EmuNAND we will convert your SXOS EmuNAND)
  • A partition manager capable of moving and making partitions installed on your PC, I will be using MiniTool Partition Wizard but any capable partition manage should work.
  • A PC. Any should do, this guide is written with Windows in mind
  • A WORKING FOLDER ON YOUR COMPUTER (NxNandMnager and EmuTool can be quite finicky about external drives and things. Just make a new folder. For the sake of this tutorial I will use a folder CALLED C:\NANDS)
  • Keys.txt You can get these using Lockpick RCM or find them online.

BACK UP YOUR SAVES!!! I USE JKSV
BACK UP YOUR ENTIRE SD TO YOUR PC
This process will FORMAT YOUR SD!!!!!!

PREPARATIONS

Now we will set up the programs

On your PC:
  1. Make a folder for NXNandMananger. Folder can be anywhere except the working folder as long as you can find it.
  2. Unzip the NXNandManager .ZIP file to this folder
  3. Place the Keys.txt in the same directory as NXNandManager.
  4. Open NXNandManager, click OPTIONS then CONFIGURE KEYSET then IMPORT FROM FILE and point it to the Keys.txt.
  5. Unzip EmuTool and put the emutool.exe file anywhere except the Working folder as long as you can find it.

BACKUP CURRENT SXOS EMUNAND

If you have a raw backup already you may skip this step. Just put it in the working directory.
  1. Using a SD Reader insert SD with your SXOS EmuNAND in to computer.
  2. Run NxNandManager
  3. Select File > Open Drive> Select your SD.
  4. Select Full Dump
  5. Select Output Directory and choose your WORKING DIRECTORY. Name your backup. For the guide I name it SXOSemunandFULL
  6. Wait Until done
  7. Press OK
If you have a current Atmosphere EmuNAND you can back it up using the same steps now. Name it ATMOemunandFULL

OPTIONAL: Shrink SXOS EmuNAND

If you shrink your EmuNAND make sure you backup all saves first! Back them saves up even if you don't shrink the EmuNAND

If you would like to shrink your SXOS EmuNAND now is the time. This will make all installed NSP stop working. You can reinstall but it won't hold much. The intent is to make SXOS's impact minimal. I make SuperXCI (XCI files that contain all updates and DLC for the game) I convert NSP files and make Super XCIs out of them as well. This way Everything for SXOS compatible games is on the HDD. Except a Small EmuNAND.

You can select whatever USER data size you want. I only intend to have SAVE data on this EmuNAND so 8GB is enough for me. I play all NSP off of my SD in Atmosphere. SXOS is just for XCI USB loading.

In NxNandManager
  1. Select File>Open File and select your EmuNAND raw backup.
  2. Select Options > Resize EmuNAND
  3. Check Format User (this is optional, however this process will render the current USER data useless anyway so just format it to make it clean, Input file will not be altered)
  4. Select New Size.. I went with 5504 MB for user partition (8 GB Total) to keep enough room for saves.. some games have fairly large save files, you can choose whatever you want,
  5. Click Save As,, name the file whatever you want and choose the working directory. I call mine SXOSemuRESIZED
  6. Click Save.

Convert Hidden SXOS EmuNAND to Atmosphere File Based EmuNAND.

This will convert your Hidden Partition SXOS EmuNAND to Atmosphere EmuNAND files in the event that you don't have a Atmosphere EmuNAND backup. You should be able to migrate your saves and games over. GAMES INSTALLED USING THE BUILT IN SXOS INSTALLER WILL NOT WORK IN ATMOSPHERE.

If you have a raw backup from an Atmosphere Nand you can use that instead and skip this step. This section duplicates and converts your SXOS backup if you don't have an Atmosphere EmuNAND.
  1. Open EmuTool
  2. Under source select SXOS Hidden Partition
  3. Click "Select SD card" and select the SD with the SXOS Hidden Partition
  4. Under Select target select Atmosphere File.
  5. Under TARGET Click "Click to Select SD Card" Name the backup and save to the working directory. Ill Call it SX2ATMOemu
  6. Click START

Create New SXOS EmuNAND Partition

IF YOU ALREADY HAVE A SXOS EMUNAND IN A HIDDEN PARTITION ON THE TARGET SD YOU MAY SKIP THIS STEP
THIS SECTION WILL REFORMAT YOUR SD WITH THE NEW SHRUNKEN EMUNAND! YOU WILL LOSE ALL DATA!!! BACK UP THE SD FILES

In NxNandManager
  1. Select File > Open file and select the (Shrunken or not) backup of the SXOS EmuNAND
  2. Select Options > Emunand Creation Tool
  3. Check NAND path is pointing to your SXOS EmuNAND backup (Shrunken or not)
  4. Under "Select Emunand Type" Select SD partition
  5. Under "Select Target Disk" Select your target SD.
  6. Click "Create Emunand"

Resize FAT32 Partition and Make New Hidden Partition

THIS WILL MAKE ROOM FOR A SECOND HIDDEN PARTITION.

Now we will RESIZE your FAT32 Partition to leave a 29.2GB Unallocated Partition at the end of the SD
  1. Open MiniTool Partition Wizard
  2. Find the TARGET SD
  3. Right Click on the FAT32 partition
  4. Select Resize
  5. Reduce the size of the FAT32 Partition by 29.2GB using the slider. Make sure that the unllocated space AFTER the FAT32 partition is 29.2GB and DON'T MESS WITH THE UNALLOCATED SPACE BEFORE THE FAT32 PARTITION! THIS IS SXOS EMUNAND!!
  6. Press OK
  7. Right Click on the New Unallocated Partition after the FAT32 partition. (once again not the first one. That is your SXOS Partition.)
  8. Click CREATE
  9. In the "CREATE NEW PARTITION" window Select the following:
    1. Create As: PRIMARY
    2. Drive Letter: NONE
    3. File System: UNFORMATTED
    4. Cluster Size:; NONE
    5. Click OK
  10. In the MAIN WINDOW press Apply
That should format the unallocated space so the tools can see it.

Make new Atmosphere Hidden Partition EmuNAND

In EmuTool
  1. Under "Select source" select Atmosphere files (Or hekate back up files if that's what you have)
  2. Select "Click to select SD Card" and point to the Converted SXOS to Atmosphere Backup files (SX2ATMOemu) or your Atmosphere Backup, You must point to the directory with the BOOT1 BOOT2 00,01 etc etc files, Probably emummc\(A Numeric Code)\eMMC\
  3. Under "Select Target" Select Atmosphere Hidden partition
  4. Select "Click to select SD card" and point to your Target SD card.
  5. Press START.
Restore SD backup and install Atmosphere
If all went well you should be able to copy your SD files you backed up in the beginning of the guide. That should get SXOS back up and running. then you can install Atmosphere. There are a TON of guides. just get the newest SDfiles and toss them on the SD. You'll need sigpatches too if you want to play downloaded content.

1. Copy FILES YOU BACKED UP IN THE BEGINNING OF THE GUIDE back to the SD FAT32 Partition .
  2. Copy all Atmosphere files to your SD
  3. Copy Sigpatches to the SD
If you are converted your EmuNAND from SXOS to Atmosphere and you didn't shrink your EmuNAND you need to copy the files in the EMUTENDO folder contents from SXOS to the Atmosphere NINTENDO folder (emuMMC/XXXX/Nintendo, XXXX is a Alpha Numeric 4 digit ID) this should make everything compatible work.
(Remember games installed with the built in SXOS installer will probably need to be reinstalled.)

Make EmuNAND visible to Atmosphere.

1. Unzip Hekate files to the ROOT of your SD.
  2. Insert SD in to the Switch
  3. Boot Hekate using the hekate payload and your favorite payload launching method.
  4. Select EmuMMC
  5. Select Migrate EmuMMC
  6. Select Fix Raw
  7. Select OK
Now you should be able to boot in to SXOS and Atmosphere each with their own EmuNANDS!!! Just boot the payload for the CFW you want using your favorite injection method.

Now you can update the firmware for your Atmosphere EmuNAND using daybreak. There are MANY guides on the subject. Google it!

Make sure your games work. Then you can uninstall duplicate games from the SXOS. You can move games from SD to System NAND in the Switch Data management Menu while in EmuNAND. This will move them from the FAT32 partition to the Hidden EmuNAND to free up the FAT32 even more. Remember to leave room for save files.

EXTRAS!

Here I would like to make a few suggestions....

TESLA with the FastCFWSwtich overlay,

If you would like a convenient way to switch between the CFWs (and other things too) I recommend you install TESLA with the FastCFWswitch overlay. Once installed you can Hold down L and DPad Down then Click the right joy stick to bring up Tesla at any time. It allows you to run "overlays" that are basically just homebrew programs. Emuiibo is a great Amiibo emulator, there is a fast reboot, a UMS feature, FTP etc. in this case I recommend FastCFWswitch.

FastCFWswitch allows you to switch between different CFWs with a few clicks.

TESLA page on GBATemp
This is the page for Tesla. In this instance the trick is to install it for BOTH SXOS AND ATMOSPHERE.

1. Download the latest fastCFWswitch NX-ovlloader and Tesla-Menu
  2. Unzip all to the root of the SD
  3. You must manually copy all the \atmosphere\contents files from NX-ovloader zip file to SXOS\titles\ to make it work in SXOS too, (I will make a pack if the developer gives me the green light.)
That's it. in SXOS or Atmosphere you can press the hotkey combo.. (hold down L and DPad Down and Click the right joy stick) to bring up the TESLA menu, then select fastCFWswitch and the CFW you want and off you go.

I suggest using different themes on your EmuNANDs so that you can tell them apart at a glance. There are SXOS and Atmosphere versions of my skeletal themes,

Skeletal Switch Theme
Skeletal TV theme
Skeletal HDD for SXOS Theme <-- Made this today

I will add more stuff and tweak this out as I have time. Please feel free to ask questions. It will help me fine tune this tutorial.

CHEERS!

Thanks to Maupiti for all the help.:grog::grog::grog::grog::toot::toot::toot::D

Last edited by mikefor20,

Nadrew

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thanks I have Atm in emunand hidden, and sx os in emunand file, how is the structure of the hekatepls.ini for sx os start Whit emunan file, when update emunand Atm From 11 to 13.1 This affects sx os and does not start

mikefor20

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks I have Atm in emunand hidden, and sx os in emunand file, how is the structure of the hekatepls.ini for sx os start Whit emunan file, when update emunand Atm From 11 to 13.1 This affects sx os and does not start
Makes no sense. Maybe Atmo is running off of sxos emunand (possible if ini is configured for it) because SX will not use the Atmo emunand.
If you boot in to Atmo on Sx emu and you update that will make Sx no longer boot .

Only other scenario i can think of is it was a sx hidden emunand and atmo was configured to use it. Hmm

EmuNands are seperate. They do not affect each other. Unless they are linked. Is that a thing on switch? Must be some.. confusion.

You could back both up and make dual hidden emunands using the guide.

Blauhasenpopo

GBATemp's Funeral Director
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@mikefor20

As for now, this is my state: First send Payload Hekate, enabled AutoRCM, Backuped all Data including Lockpick. Nothing more installed, on SD Card: only the Folders from Hekate are present.
Used Guide : cfwaifu.com
Blocked Ninty Server through 90DNS, Incognito and the all in one package are downloaded but not used, yet ;)
Backed up everything.

I would like to have Triple boot on my Switch : Atmosphere (emunand) +Linux+Android

Stock OFW on sysnand would be nice.

Like i could see, in Hekate i can partitioning my SD (512 GB)... what would i have to do, Which Steps do i have to take and what do i need?

Help would be great :)

mikefor20

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@mikefor20

As for now, this is my state: First send Payload Hekate, enabled AutoRCM, Backuped all Data including Lockpick. Nothing more installed, on SD Card: only the Folders from Hekate are present.
Blocked Ninty Server through 90DNS, Incognito and the all in one package are downloaded but not used, yet ;)
Backed up everything.

I would like to have Triple boot on my Switch : Atmosphere (emunand) +Linux+Android

Like i could see, in Hekate i can partitioning my SD (512 GB)... what would i have to do, Which Steps do i have to take and what do i need?

@mikefor20

Backed up everything.

I don't know honestly. My switchroot (android) setup is out dated. I used Hekate to partition and flash the linux and droid images in the past. Lots of tutorials on the Temp. I used this the last time. May be better setups now.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/script-...-ubuntu-cfw-emummc-on-one-sd-card-new.575936/

Let me know what you find. Maybe I'll make a new tutorial .

Blauhasenpopo

GBATemp's Funeral Director
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't know honestly. My switchroot (android) setup is out dated. I used Hekate to partition and flash the linux and droid images in the past. Lots of tutorials on the Temp. I used this the last time. May be better setups now.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/script-...-ubuntu-cfw-emummc-on-one-sd-card-new.575936/

Hmmm...i get on this site...but i don't know how to download something from there, c'ause there's no Release or something like that....and how to setup emummc...in what order do i have to create these partitions?

I didn't find anything related to my wanted setup...everything else is about emummc+sxos or something like that....maybe if you have time and want a challenge ;) ... i would be thankfull for a great and easy to use Tutorial :)

thx for your answer

Last edited by Blauhasenpopo,

DoobyDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Mike,

I have my Switch on SXOS 11.0 and am almost ready to go and do the move to Atmosphere for newer games and keep the small SXOS for USB support as per your tutorial.

Just wanted to confirm before following your tutorial steps in the OP it was still up-to-date, relevent and working?
Not sure if anything might have changed since it was posted/edited in November?

If it's still good - when downloading the "Atmosphere SD Files" I downloaded the "Recommended Defaults" pack.
Is this correct or should another pack be selected or anything else be added to it with the tickboxes?

Also my SXOS uses exFAT but you stress to use FAT32 in the guide - is this a problem?

Thanks in advance!

mikefor20

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Mike,

I have my Switch on SXOS 11.0 and am almost ready to go and do the move to Atmosphere for newer games and keep the small SXOS for USB support as per your tutorial.

Just wanted to confirm before following your tutorial steps in the OP it was still up-to-date, relevent and working?
Not sure if anything might have changed since it was posted/edited in November?

If it's still good - when downloading the "Atmosphere SD Files" I downloaded the "Recommended Defaults" pack.
Is this correct or should another pack be selected or anything else be added to it with the tickboxes?

Also my SXOS uses exFAT but you stress to use FAT32 in the guide - is this a problem?

Thanks in advance!
Everything is up to date.

Recommended defaults is fine. You can get extras to if you want them. It depends on personal preference..

I can't stress enough, DO NOT USE EXFAT. Nintendo's driver is messed up. You will eventually have corruption. Don't do it. Exfat is fine for the external hard drive though

Reactions: DoobyDude

DoobyDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Everything is up to date.

Recommended defaults is fine. You can get extras to if you want them. It depends on personal preference..

I can't stress enough, DO NOT USE EXFAT. Nintendo's driver is messed up. You will eventually have corruption. Don't do it. Exfat is fine for the external hard drive though
OK great thanks for confirming it's up to date.

With regards to exFAT - my current SXOS install already uses exFAT which is why I was asking if that was a problem?

DoobyDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

To clarify - looking at the SD in Explorer > Properties it reports the filesystem as FAT32.

However when updating SXOS emuNAND FW on the Switch I've always chosen exFAT when asked in Choi as that's what the tutorial I followed when first installing SXOS advised and what I've done ever since.

Not sure whether this will cause any issues or whether that means it's FAT32 or exFAT for the purposes of what the tutorial is talking about?

Bit confused so thought I'd ask to clear it up before I start as I don't wanna mess anything up!

Thanks!

EDIT:
So I decided to go ahead anyway as I have full SD backup and NAND backups from when I first hacked the console so should be okay if anything went wrong.

This will be a running commentary as I go through the steps and I'll add more if I find any but I noticed a couple of clarity issues when following the guide:

1) When using EmuTool to convert the SX Hidden Partition to Atmosphere File, it says to name the backup and save it to the working directory as SX2ATMOemu. However you can only choose the path, there's no way I can see to specify a name and it just creates a folder called "emummc" and puts all the files in there.

Then when it finishes this it tells you to remember to copy the "Emutendo" folder from the SD card into "emummc\HPE0\Nintendo". The Nintendo folder does not exist within the HPE0 folder, but I backed up the Emutendo folder just in case as this isn't mentioned at all in the guide.

2) In the section Make new Atmosphere Hidden Partition EmuNAND point 2 says to look under Source and choose "Click to select SD Card", but after selecting "Atmosphere File" in point 1 it changes to say "Click to select Folder".

Point 4 then says to under target to choose "Click to select SD Card and point to the Target SD" but it pops up a selector with 2 partitions in it and the guide doesn't mention which one should be selected - the 29.2GB partition we created or the other 67GB (in my case) partition that it shows - I chose the 67GB one due to the Emutendo folder being larger than 29.2GB (see below).

The previous point about the emummc folder is cleared up here though, but it's not clear if I should have copied that Emutendo folder over like EmuTool requested? The target box in EmuTool shows a "Nintendo Path" at this point so I moved the folder into where it was suggested - it's currently doing it's thing and writing blocks - fingers crossed!

3) All finished successfully, but this time EmuTool gave a similar message as before to "Copy the Nintendo folder to emuMMC\RAW9\Nintendo".

I'm unsure which Nintendo folder it means so I didn't copy anything and just put the SXOS files back onto the SD that I backed up earlier and it successfully booted into SXOS, although as expected no games work.
So far so good I think!?

4) I shrank my SXOS partition so didn't need to do the "Copy Emutendo folder" steps, I then copied over all the Atmosphere files and sigpatches and put the SD into the Switch.

Booted the Hetake payload, chose "emuMMC", then "Migrate emuMMC" and the in the window that pops up the "Fix Raw" button is greyed out. Only the "Emunand" button is clickable (and Cancel..).

On the main "emuMMC Manage" page top left where it says "emuMMC Info & Selection" there is orange text that says "Disabled" under it and if I click "Change emuMMC" nothing is selectable.

Guess I did something wrong?
Maybe not copying the Emutendo/Nintendo folder?
Help appreciated!

Gonna try again before bed - will report back.

5) ...Insert 5mins later meme...

6) Okay so a bit closer this time...
The emuMMC Manage screen has "Enabled" under emuMMC Info & Selection with a tick, but clicking "Migrate emuMMC" still has the "Fix Raw" button disabled.

I noticed that the Info says:
Type: SD Raw Partition
Sector: 0x01008040
Nintendo Folder: emuMMC/RAW9/Nintendo

I'm thinking I do need to copy that Nintendo folder over like EmuTool said, but I'm still unsure what Nintendo folder it means as I only backed up an "Emutendo" folder?

Also the guide says that I shouldn't copy the Emutendo folder if I resized the emuNAND (which I did down to 8GB) so it's unclear what the next step or issue might be? Third time lucky here we go....

7) Okay so the mistake seems to have been choosing the larger partition when using EmuTool and not the 29.2GB one that we created. Seems obvious now looking back at it but it's not mentioned in the guide and my logic was that the Emutendo folder was bigger than the 29.2GB partition and messages saying that folder needed copying over were popping up (also not mentioned in the guide) so I went with the larger partition that had room for the folder. Oops.

I chose the 29.2GB partition this time and all went well and "Fix Raw" was enabled when I loaded into Hetake.

Did that and then booted the fusee.bin payload and it booted - success!

Short lived though, as I took the SD back out of the Switch to put the SX payload the 13.x FW files onto it so I could update the Atmosphere emuNAND using Daybreak and now my PC can't see the USB and asks me to format it.

It was working before and it has a drive letter in My Computer but can't be read, I tried making it "Active" in the MiniTool Partition Wizard but still no good. So close!

For some reason changing the drive letter in MiniTool made it accessible again. *shrug*

8)
Just tested and can boot into box SXOS and Atmosphere!

System Settings in Atmosphere reports v11.0.0|AMS 1.2.5|E.
From a quick search on here that means it's booted into the emuNAND (AMS S = sys, AMS E = emu) so it seems like it'll be safe to update and it will update the emuNAND leaving my sysNAND as-is just like it does when updating SXOS emuNAND. Perfect.

9) Got FW 13.2.0 and launched Daybreak - it's asking me to choose between "FAT32" and "FAT32 + exFAT".
Is this where you stress to choose FAT32 only?
I used exFAT with SXOS and had no issues but you really emphasise FAT32 in the guide, I'm just not sure whether you meant here or just when formatting the CD card at the start of this whole process?

I chose FAT32+exFAT just because it gives both options and I'm short of time - sorry - but after rebooting into Atmosphere it's reporting at 13.2.0|AMS 1.2.5|E - success!!

Next up is to remove/re-install games and test a couple that require FW later than 11.0 via Atmosphere as the shrinking the SXOS emuNAND down to 8GB breaks them. The journey continues...

Final update!
SXOS Boots to FW 11.0.
Atmosphere boots to FW 13.2.0.
Have installed Tesla+Overlay, edited the config and can switch between payloads/CFW easily.

Awesome!

I've now deleted all games and re-installed some using Goldleaf (some from my PC via USB too) and it's all going well.
The recent games requiring FW > 11.0 that I've tried work when run through Atmosphere (the reason for updating) although I've also had a couple give NCA errors despite having the latest sig patches installed - Obra Dinn was the one I remember.

I'm also still not sure how using SXOS to run games from USB works with games requiring FW > 11.0 (or doesn't it?) but not too worried about any of that right now and can investigate that in the New Year.

Last thing is I'm not sure how important the config file settings mentioned in this setup guide are: https://rentry.org/mys8q so any advice on that appreciated as my hekate_ipl.ini is almost empty:

[stock_DANGEROUS]
[PreventGCUpdate]
kip1patch=nogc

Any info on these would be good if anyone wants to advise.

Anyway, thanks for this guide @mikefor20 - I got there in the end! :)
Have a great Xmas! :)

--------------------

I'm gonna leave this (way too) long step by step commentary up in case it might help anyone else in the future who makes the same mistakes I did or also gets unsure/confused about the steps that are a little vague in the guide. Maybe also it will help it clarifying some of the steps in the guide itself with a few tweaks and updates to make it a bit clearer.

Phew - what a ride! LOL!

Last edited by DoobyDude,
Reactions: binkinator

Sovikos

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
EmuTools just isn't finding my SD card... I am using Windows 8.1, could this be why? I saw someone else mentioned it in a post here, but I am not sure if they figured out how or why. I have my SXOS Hidden partition at the start of my Card, and I have a 32 GB partition at the end that I am trying to convert my SXOS File to an Atmosphere hidden Partition. The SXOS File doesn't seem to work either as it says BOOT0 not found, when it is clearly in the folder.

mikefor20

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EmuTools just isn't finding my SD card... I am using Windows 8.1, could this be why? I saw someone else mentioned it in a post here, but I am not sure if they figured out how or why. I have my SXOS Hidden partition at the start of my Card, and I have a 32 GB partition at the end that I am trying to convert my SXOS File to an Atmosphere hidden Partition. The SXOS File doesn't seem to work either as it says BOOT0 not found, when it is clearly in the folder.
Try another reader. Like the tutorial says, these homebrew tools are finicky. Make short path names.. C:/nand/ or something. Having extra files may be an issue. Follow the tutorial.

To backup the SXOS Emunand use Nxnandmanager. Like the tutorial says. You'll get a fullnand backup in one file.

Follow the tutorial.

Idk about Win 8.1. Time for a new setup.

To clarify - looking at the SD in Explorer > Properties it reports the filesystem as FAT32.

However when updating SXOS emuNAND FW on the Switch I've always chosen exFAT when asked in Choi as that's what the tutorial I followed when first installing SXOS advised and what I've done ever since.

Not sure whether this will cause any issues or whether that means it's FAT32 or exFAT for the purposes of what the tutorial is talking about?

Bit confused so thought I'd ask to clear it up before I start as I don't wanna mess anything up!

Thanks!

EDIT:
So I decided to go ahead anyway as I have full SD backup and NAND backups from when I first hacked the console so should be okay if anything went wrong.

This will be a running commentary as I go through the steps and I'll add more if I find any but I noticed a couple of clarity issues when following the guide:

1) When using EmuTool to convert the SX Hidden Partition to Atmosphere File, it says to name the backup and save it to the working directory as SX2ATMOemu. However you can only choose the path, there's no way I can see to specify a name and it just creates a folder called "emummc" and puts all the files in there.

Then when it finishes this it tells you to remember to copy the "Emutendo" folder from the SD card into "emummc\HPE0\Nintendo". The Nintendo folder does not exist within the HPE0 folder, but I backed up the Emutendo folder just in case as this isn't mentioned at all in the guide.

2) In the section Make new Atmosphere Hidden Partition EmuNAND point 2 says to look under Source and choose "Click to select SD Card", but after selecting "Atmosphere File" in point 1 it changes to say "Click to select Folder".

Point 4 then says to under target to choose "Click to select SD Card and point to the Target SD" but it pops up a selector with 2 partitions in it and the guide doesn't mention which one should be selected - the 29.2GB partition we created or the other 67GB (in my case) partition that it shows - I chose the 67GB one due to the Emutendo folder being larger than 29.2GB (see below).

The previous point about the emummc folder is cleared up here though, but it's not clear if I should have copied that Emutendo folder over like EmuTool requested? The target box in EmuTool shows a "Nintendo Path" at this point so I moved the folder into where it was suggested - it's currently doing it's thing and writing blocks - fingers crossed!

3) All finished successfully, but this time EmuTool gave a similar message as before to "Copy the Nintendo folder to emuMMC\RAW9\Nintendo".

I'm unsure which Nintendo folder it means so I didn't copy anything and just put the SXOS files back onto the SD that I backed up earlier and it successfully booted into SXOS, although as expected no games work.
So far so good I think!?

4) I shrank my SXOS partition so didn't need to do the "Copy Emutendo folder" steps, I then copied over all the Atmosphere files and sigpatches and put the SD into the Switch.

Booted the Hetake payload, chose "emuMMC", then "Migrate emuMMC" and the in the window that pops up the "Fix Raw" button is greyed out. Only the "Emunand" button is clickable (and Cancel..).

On the main "emuMMC Manage" page top left where it says "emuMMC Info & Selection" there is orange text that says "Disabled" under it and if I click "Change emuMMC" nothing is selectable.

Guess I did something wrong?
Maybe not copying the Emutendo/Nintendo folder?
Help appreciated!

Gonna try again before bed - will report back.

5) ...Insert 5mins later meme...

6) Okay so a bit closer this time...
The emuMMC Manage screen has "Enabled" under emuMMC Info & Selection with a tick, but clicking "Migrate emuMMC" still has the "Fix Raw" button disabled.

I noticed that the Info says:
Type: SD Raw Partition
Sector: 0x01008040
Nintendo Folder: emuMMC/RAW9/Nintendo

I'm thinking I do need to copy that Nintendo folder over like EmuTool said, but I'm still unsure what Nintendo folder it means as I only backed up an "Emutendo" folder?

Also the guide says that I shouldn't copy the Emutendo folder if I resized the emuNAND (which I did down to 8GB) so it's unclear what the next step or issue might be? Third time lucky here we go....

7) Okay so the mistake seems to have been choosing the larger partition when using EmuTool and not the 29.2GB one that we created. Seems obvious now looking back at it but it's not mentioned in the guide and my logic was that the Emutendo folder was bigger than the 29.2GB partition and messages saying that folder needed copying over were popping up (also not mentioned in the guide) so I went with the larger partition that had room for the folder. Oops.

I chose the 29.2GB partition this time and all went well and "Fix Raw" was enabled when I loaded into Hetake.

Did that and then booted the fusee.bin payload and it booted - success!

Short lived though, as I took the SD back out of the Switch to put the SX payload the 13.x FW files onto it so I could update the Atmosphere emuNAND using Daybreak and now my PC can't see the USB and asks me to format it.

It was working before and it has a drive letter in My Computer but can't be read, I tried making it "Active" in the MiniTool Partition Wizard but still no good. So close!

For some reason changing the drive letter in MiniTool made it accessible again. *shrug*

8)
Just tested and can boot into box SXOS and Atmosphere!

System Settings in Atmosphere reports v11.0.0|AMS 1.2.5|E.
From a quick search on here that means it's booted into the emuNAND (AMS S = sys, AMS E = emu) so it seems like it'll be safe to update and it will update the emuNAND leaving my sysNAND as-is just like it does when updating SXOS emuNAND. Perfect.

9) Got FW 13.2.0 and launched Daybreak - it's asking me to choose between "FAT32" and "FAT32 + exFAT".
Is this where you stress to choose FAT32 only?
I used exFAT with SXOS and had no issues but you really emphasise FAT32 in the guide, I'm just not sure whether you meant here or just when formatting the CD card at the start of this whole process?

I chose FAT32+exFAT just because it gives both options and I'm short of time - sorry - but after rebooting into Atmosphere it's reporting at 13.2.0|AMS 1.2.5|E - success!!

Next up is to remove/re-install games and test a couple that require FW later than 11.0 via Atmosphere as the shrinking the SXOS emuNAND down to 8GB breaks them. The journey continues...

Final update!
SXOS Boots to FW 11.0.
Atmosphere boots to FW 13.2.0.
Have installed Tesla+Overlay, edited the config and can switch between payloads/CFW easily.

Awesome!

I've now deleted all games and re-installed some using Goldleaf (some from my PC via USB too) and it's all going well.
The recent games requiring FW > 11.0 that I've tried work when run through Atmosphere (the reason for updating) although I've also had a couple give NCA errors despite having the latest sig patches installed - Obra Dinn was the one I remember.

I'm also still not sure how using SXOS to run games from USB works with games requiring FW > 11.0 (or doesn't it?) but not too worried about any of that right now and can investigate that in the New Year.

Last thing is I'm not sure how important the config file settings mentioned in this setup guide are: https://rentry.org/mys8q so any advice on that appreciated as my hekate_ipl.ini is almost empty:

[stock_DANGEROUS]
[PreventGCUpdate]
kip1patch=nogc

Any info on these would be good if anyone wants to advise.

Anyway, thanks for this guide @mikefor20 - I got there in the end! :)
Have a great Xmas! :)

--------------------

I'm gonna leave this (way too) long step by step commentary up in case it might help anyone else in the future who makes the same mistakes I did or also gets unsure/confused about the steps that are a little vague in the guide. Maybe also it will help it clarifying some of the steps in the guide itself with a few tweaks and updates to make it a bit clearer.

Phew - what a ride! LOL!

I'll clarify some of this soon. When i have time. Ty for the feedback. It's easy gloss over things.

[stock_DANGEROUS]
[PreventGCUpdate]
kip1patch=nogc

This disables the Gamcart slot in stock firmware. Idiot proofing. Protect slot fuses. Dont use the slot if you don't understand why.

DoobyDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'll clarify some of this soon. When i have time. Ty for the feedback. It's easy gloss over things.

[stock_DANGEROUS]
[PreventGCUpdate]
kip1patch=nogc

This disables the Gamcart slot in stock firmware. Idiot proofing. Protect slot fuses. Dont use the slot if you don't understand why.
No worries I completely understand, hopefully my running commentary of following the current guide can help with cleaning up some of the parts I mentioned to be a bit clearer.

re: disabled Gamecart slot - not a problem as I don't own any carts any more.

Should I be adding any of the stuff from the rentry.org examples I linked above or is what I have fine?
All I'll be doing is playing nsp/xci - the switch has never and will never be going online

Also wanted to add that I wasn't bothered about my saves so didn't back them up, but they actually still worked fine after I completed the guide and re-installed the games. Bonus! A couple of games still worked too.

Thanks again for the guide, couldn't have even attempted the switchover without it!

Hope you had a good Xmas and have a great New Year!

Sovikos

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Under Convert Hidden SXOS EmuNAND to Atmosphere File Based EmuNAND There is an option to Enable Partition Emu or Disable Partition Emu, what do you select there?

Sovikos

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When transferring your files back onto the SD card, there is emuMMC and Emutendo folders inside there. What are they? Is one for my Hidden SXOS and one for my Hidden Atmosphere partitions? Do I put my folders in those folders or just in the root directory?

jimmmeh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for this guide, it worked flawlessly for me up until the extras section and I was hoping I could ask a couple of questions about that (tesla + fastCFWswitch) :)

1. You say this should work for SXOS but I can't get it to work for me booting into SXOS - the L + down + right joystick combination doesn't work to open the overlay (this works fine if I boot from Atmosphere and I followed the instruction of copying the files to sxos/titles on the SD) - every time I try and google it people say this doesn't work with SXOS due to outdated modules - should this work, am I doing anything wrong here?

2. Out of the box it looks like the sample configuration doesn't work because it's pointing to files that don't exist - I think I understand how to fix that for the most part but the bit that confuses me is how to get it to boot into SXOS from Atmosphere - the default config points to path=/sxos/reboot_payload.bin but I am not sure what this file is / how it works - I see atmosphere has one but I presume it must be specific to atmosphere / need something that triggers it to load SXOS so not sure where to get an appropriate reboot_payload file or get that to work - any advice there would be appreciated!

Thanks for any help!

Sovikos

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In Atmosphere I keep getting the "The Game Card could not be read" error, although I Fixed the Raw emuMMC thing.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for this guide, it worked flawlessly for me up until the extras section and I was hoping I could ask a couple of questions about that (tesla + fastCFWswitch) :)

1. You say this should work for SXOS but I can't get it to work for me booting into SXOS - the L + down + right joystick combination doesn't work to open the overlay (this works fine if I boot from Atmosphere and I followed the instruction of copying the files to sxos/titles on the SD) - every time I try and google it people say this doesn't work with SXOS due to outdated modules - should this work, am I doing anything wrong here?

2. Out of the box it looks like the sample configuration doesn't work because it's pointing to files that don't exist - I think I understand how to fix that for the most part but the bit that confuses me is how to get it to boot into SXOS from Atmosphere - the default config points to path=/sxos/reboot_payload.bin but I am not sure what this file is / how it works - I see atmosphere has one but I presume it must be specific to atmosphere / need something that triggers it to load SXOS so not sure where to get an appropriate reboot_payload file or get that to work - any advice there would be appreciated!

Thanks for any help!

1. I have Tesla/fastCFWswitch working between SXOS and Atmosphere (and vice versa). You have to approach it from the perspective of a completely new install of the stack on SXOS with just a shared config file.

2. For the config I used hekate.bin to boot everything (well, update.bin so I didn’t have to change the name between releases) and made use of the ID system so basically everything is booted by Hekate but you pass what you want Hekate to boot. I‘m adding a snippet of my config/fastCFWswitch/config.ini and my bootloade/hekate_ipl.ini so you can get the gist…there’s stuff that’s specifically for my system and you need to massage things for your setup so I don’t recommend you copy them directly.

[config]
autoboot=1
autoboot_list=0
bootwait=1
backlight=55
autohosoff=0
autonogc=1
updater2p=1
bootprotect=0

[Atmosphere CFW]
payload=bootloader/payloads/fusee.bin
emummcforce=1
kip1=atmosphere/kip_patches/*
logopath=/graphics/splash/atmosphere.bmp
icon=/graphics/icons/current/atmosphere.bmp
id=atmo

[Stock SysNAND]
fss0=atmosphere/package3
stock=1
emummc_force_disable=1
icon=/graphics/icons/current/stock.bmp
id=sysn

[SX OS]
payload=bootloader/payloads/sxos.bin
logopath=/graphics/splash/sxos.bmp
icon=/graphics/icons/current/icon_sxos.bmp
id=sxos

[CFWS]
type=section
name=CFW

[ATMOSPHERE]
name=atmosphere
path=/bootloader/update.bin
bootId=atmo

[SXOS]
name=sxos
bootId=sxos

[LAKKA]
name=lakka
bootId=lakk

[ANDROID]
name=android
bootId=andr

[L4T]
name=ubuntu
bootId=ubun

[SYSNAND]
name=sysnand
bootId=sysn

[TOOLS]
type=section
name=TOOLS

[HEKATE]
name=hekate

[LOCKPICKRCM]
name=lockpick
path=/bootloader/payloads/Lockpick_RCM.bin

[CPR]
name=CPR
path=/bootloader/payloads/CommonProblemResolver.bin

[UMS]
type=section
name=UMS

[SD_CARD]
name=SD
ums = sd

[EMMC_BOOT_0]
name=EMMC BOOT 0
ums = emmc_boot0

[EMMC_BOOT_1]
name=EMMC BOOT 1
ums = emmc_boot1

[EMMC_GPT]
name=EMMC GPT
ums = emmc_gpt

[EMU_BOOT_0]
name=EMU BOOT 0
ums = emu_boot0

[EMU_BOOT_1]
name=EMU BOOT 1
ums = emu_boot1

[EMU_GPT]
name=EMU GPT
ums = emu_gpt

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In Atmosphere I keep getting the "The Game Card could not be read" error, although I Fixed the Raw emuMMC thing.

autonogc setting is what you’re looking for. It used to be in the deprecated stratosphere.ini. You can get to it via GUI in Hekate/Nyx.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.