[HOW-TO] Have a homemade Streetpass Relay

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by dicamarques, Aug 9, 2013.

?
  1. Linux

90 vote(s)
    7.8%
  2. Android

132 vote(s)
    11.5%
  3. Router

225 vote(s)
    19.5%
  4. Windows

418 vote(s)
    36.3%
  5. A pony with a wifi antenna O.o?

286 vote(s)
    24.8%
  1. srwgin

srwgin GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 13, 2013
    China
    you must change the Wireless mac adress If you do not install DD-WRT you can not do this

2. assassinz

assassinz Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!

Mar 17, 2003
    United States
    The Internet
    Try configuring a new connection on your 3DS with the same SSID,security, and mac address of your router/access point.

3. HMTKSteve

HMTKSteve Member

Newcomer
    Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    New Milford, Connecticut
    This needs to be made clear in the guide. I think too many people (myself included) are under the impression that changing the mac facing the Internet is what is required.

4. assassinz

Mar 17, 2003
    United States
    The Internet
    Will the Technitium MAC Address changer also work instead of installing DD-WRT? It works for me.

5. c2leader

c2leader Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 15, 2013
    Slovenia
    I cannot get this to work. I tried all windows methods, linux method and no luck:

Windows method(s):
    My 3ds connects to the internet, the zone tile is exploding but no green light for few hours (I tried 25 different MAC's)

Linux method:
    I'm tried the method and script on top of this thread, but after all the steps neither my 3ds nor my mobile phone finds the newly "created" connection.

I'm on the verge of giving up.

6. triumph01

triumph01 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Try another mac address:

If you Streetpass corecctly you have something about 50kb download and 60kn upload.
    If you only leave your Streetpass data on the Server, then you have about 10kb (up/down) less traffic.

Sometimes it happens that the 3ds only "knocks on the door", that causes aboaut 0 or 15kb. I Don't know why this happens, then another mac-address will do the trick.

7. assassinz

Mar 17, 2003
    United States
    The Internet
    Just PM'd you my guide.

8. redcrystal

redcrystal Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 15, 2013
    Brazil
    I actually did that and didn't work.

I finally managed to install and setup dd-wrt on my router and managed to get a Streetpass! But I only got one in over 10 minutes, is it supposed to work this way?

9. srwgin

Aug 13, 2013
    China
    one mac only got a streetpass in every 8 hours

try #182 duke_srg made a script automatic MAC rotation

10. duke_srg

duke_srg GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 1, 2011
    Serbia, Republic of
    Moscow
    Test version 2 MAC change script for DD-WRT added at my original post. This one supports online distribution of MAC list from my server, invluding the prime range MACs, official Nintendo Zone MACs and title CTR-code based MACS. Even custom GBATEMP list is created, so it is possible to do a streetpasses with users who do not have a HomePass compatible hardware, we just need to gather MAC addresses.

[Truth] likes this.
  11. redcrystal

redcrystal Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 15, 2013
    Brazil
    Oh so it's only a streetpass per mac address? Ok, I'll do that, thank you for the info.

12. srwgin

Aug 13, 2013
    China
    now I used code blew
    modify from duke_srg code
    commond
    Code:
    echo -e "#!/bin/sh\nTITLES=\"[email protected]OUOOVOOWOOXOOYOOZOOaOObOOcOOdOOeOOfOOgOOhOOiOOjOOkOOlOOmOOnOOoO\"\nBASE=\"NSP\"\nRANDOM=\$(head /dev/urandom | hexdump -d | head -n 1 | cut -c 11-15)\nCTR=\$((\$RANDOM%\$((\$(expr length \$TITLES)/3))))\nMAC=\$(echo -e \$BASE\$TITLES | cut -c 1-3,\$((\$CTR*3+4))-\$((\$CTR*3+6)) | hexdump -e '6/1 \"%02X:\"' | cut -c 1-17)\nWLINT=\$(nvram get wl0_ifname)\nAPDCNF=/tmp/\${WLINT}_hostap.conf\nAPDPID=/var/run/\${WLINT}_hostapd.pid\nif [ -e \$APDCNF ]; then\nkill \$(cat \$APDPID)\nsleep 3\nsed -ri s/bssid=.*/bssid=\$MAC/ \$APDCNF\nhostapd -B -P \$APDPID \$APDCNF\nelse\nifconfig \$WLINT down\nifconfig \$WLINT hw ether \$MAC\nifconfig \$WLINT up\nfi \necho \$MAC >> /tmp/macschanged.txt" >/tmp/nzone; chmod 555 /tmp/nzone; echo -e "#!/bin/sh\nTITLES=\"[email protected]OUOOVOOWOOXOOYOOZOOaOObOOcOOdOOeOOfOOgOOhOOiOOjOOkOOlOOmOOnOOoO\"\nBASE=\"@SP\"\nRANDOM=\$(head /dev/urandom | hexdump -d | head -n 1 | cut -c 11-15)\nCTR=\$((\$RANDOM%\$((\$(expr length \$TITLES)/3))))\nMAC=\$(echo -e \$BASE\$TITLES | cut -c 1-3,\$((\$CTR*3+4))-\$((\$CTR*3+6)) | hexdump -e '6/1 \"%02X:\"' | cut -c 1-17)\nWLINT=\$(nvram get wl0_ifname)\nAPDCNF=/tmp/\${WLINT}_hostap.conf\nAPDPID=/var/run/\${WLINT}_hostapd.pid\nif [ -e \$APDCNF ]; then\nkill \$(cat \$APDPID)\nsleep 3\nsed -ri s/bssid=.*/bssid=\$MAC/ \$APDCNF\nhostapd -B -P \$APDPID \$APDCNF\nelse\nifconfig \$WLINT down\nifconfig \$WLINT hw ether \$MAC\nifconfig \$WLINT up\nfi \necho \$MAC >> /tmp/macschanged2.txt" >/tmp/nzone2; chmod 555 /tmp/nzone2; 
    Code:
    */5 0-11 * * * root /tmp/nzone
    */5 12-23 * * * root /tmp/nzone2
    it work well
    I will test his new script tomorrow

13. reprep

reprep GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    thanks a lot, waiting for the automated script.

14. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    Does that mean that you can make a hotspot without using a mobile connection? That' s what I wanna do with my Nexus 7 which doesn't have 3G...

15. dicamarques
    OP

dicamarques Definitely not Bruce Wayne.

Jun 25, 2010
    Portugal
    Your computer's Recycle Bin
    Yes thats what I understand from that guide, and the thether app will detect the usb has 3G

16. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    Good, this could be my chance because I can't do it from Windows. My router is locked with the MAC address it has been given to.

17. Dragoon709

Dragoon709 GBAtemp Regular

May 24, 2008
    Canada
    Anywhere there are games
    This is exactly what I'm seeing on my girlfriends laptop with an Atheros Ar5b97 chipset wlan. Every time the MAC address is changed no matter where it is changed from the Microsoft Virtual Wireless Connection disappears. and cannot be accessed at all... it's thoroughly driving me to drink, I want to be able to seed and get some streetpasses because there are not a lot of 3DS's around here.... please can someone enlighten me as to why I can't get this working.

18. reprep

reprep GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    not much to do unfortunately. as an alternative you can try ubuntu, connect to net via lan and use your wireless card as hotspot. i used the way described in the first post. too bad it needs internet via ethernet cable (no virtual hotspot for ubuntu) and there is currently no automated MAC changer for ubuntu.

it is surely a driver and/or hardware issue so it seems it won't be solved.

19. shadowdogg

shadowdogg Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2012
    Duke is the bomb! I am a bit afraid to use base256 as it would look too obvious but aaaahah so many streetpasses, I love it!

20. alpha_noj

alpha_noj GBAtemp Regular

May 29, 2009
    United States
    If I read it right, we just replace the base number after tmp/nzone and that's the section of codes we'll get, right?

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted