[HOW-TO] Have a homemade Streetpass Relay

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by dicamarques, Aug 9, 2013.

?
  1. Linux

90 vote(s)
    7.8%
  2. Android

132 vote(s)
    11.5%
  3. Router

225 vote(s)
    19.5%
  4. Windows

418 vote(s)
    36.3%
  5. A pony with a wifi antenna O.o?

286 vote(s)
    24.8%
  1. The Mystical One

The Mystical One Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2013
    United States
    Other people have reported success doing so. When I use cable and share that one, I can't even connect to the internet through attwifi...

2. Patxinco

Patxinco Riding a Shooting Star

Apr 18, 2011
    dunno then, mine worked doing that, i cannot do it with the wifi adaptor so i use local

3. The Mystical One

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2013
    United States
    I'd use the wired connection if the internet access would actually pipe through. I'd really love to know why it won't. There something with IPs (using DHCP everywhere)? Gateways? The network somehow thwarts such a thing? It's odd.

4. da_rula

da_rula GBAtemp Regular

Jul 12, 2005
    Gambia, The
    Hi there,

i have a quick question about the "Ubuntu way of doing this". I did all setup stuff mention on page one. Downloaded and updated the programs, created the files, downloaded the bunny script, filled in the correct values of the scripts etc. etc.

But now for my question: is there an easy way to check if the Access Point (which should be named "attwifi") is successfuly up and running? After starting the script via terminal i got some messages without erros, the ethernet cable is plugged in and thats it. I cannot find an AP named "attwifi" with my mobile phone or the 3DS.

I'd like to know if there is a terminal command for checking this out.

Thanks in advance :)

5. dicamarques
    OP

dicamarques Definitely not Bruce Wayne.

Jun 25, 2010
    Portugal
    Your computer's Recycle Bin
    Best way is using another device. And you are using the new script right? home_zone?

6. da_rula

da_rula GBAtemp Regular

Jul 12, 2005
    Gambia, The
    Yep, home_zone, with the variables $2 and $3 for "zone" and "world".

7. LAA

LAA GBAtemp Fan

Aug 3, 2008
    Hmm this seems similar to me.
    Even your Wifi card is similar to mine (Mine is Intel N1000)
    So you actually change the MAC of your wifi card, I can do that, but I notice I cant change the MAC of the virtual wifi miniport with the attwifi SSID.
    As for making the attwifi have internet access... Try going to networking and sharing center, change adapter settings, right click on the LAN, properties, sharing, and check the first box and share it to the virtual wifi miniport with the attwifi SSID.

I havent got it working either yet, if you come across something, I'd appreciate the help.
    Thanks

8. The Mystical One

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2013
    United States

Did that. the Local Connection is shared with Virtual one. Still no internet through to attwifi.

Edit: I noticed that the 3DS doesn't even seem to be making attempts to connect to attwifi in sleep mode (or at least the virtual router never picks it up and I'm not seeing any 'received' data in TMac
    (With either the local connection shared or wireless shared)

9. Dragoon709

Dragoon709 GBAtemp Regular

May 24, 2008
    Canada
    Anywhere there are games
    Is this for a specific model of phone? I just checked my girlfriends Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 X and I don't see this dir or file anywhere.

10. Duo8

Duo8 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jul 16, 2013
    Vietnam
    Pretty much every device is different from each other.

11. Tomy Sakazaki

Tomy Sakazaki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 23, 2006
    Brazil
    @luyaoting : The folks on Thailand have japanese 3DS? What MACs and SSID are the folks on the asia using? I have a japanese 3DS that could use some pink pieces on a new panel that was launched last week.
    Thanks in advance.

12. DrBrian

DrBrian Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2013
    United States
    I'm still having some trouble with this on OSX. I got it to work once on Friday but I don't know what the hell I did. I was changing so many things at once that I may have changed whatever WAS working.

My setup is:

Motorola Cable Modem -> D-Link WRT54G v1.02 -> iMac running OSX 10.8. All of these connections are wired connections.

I use the wireless on the iMac to create a shared internet connection called attwifi.

I have removed my home internet settings from the 3DS and I can use my 3DS to connect to NintendoZone with absolutely no issue.

I run the terminal commands to spoof my mac address as one of the many given. I've tried a dozen and verified with terminal that my mac address is spoofed.

No luck. I got through once. My girlfriend and I get double doses of street passes from each other constantly.

Any help? The only thing that seems funny to me is that if I look at my network settings while it is all running the Wireless has a yellow dot next to it and says "Self-Assigned IP" or something to that effect. Is this typical?

13. The Mystical One

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2013
    United States
    Could someone humor me and spoof 88:53:2E:08:74:5E and see if they tag me? (Mattman is the Mii)

14. mon0

mon0 XPLOiTS FTW

Apr 2, 2012
    United States
    R00T
    @dicamarques

Awesome tutorial!

A must have! I dont want to copy or modify but would you allow me to publish this tutorial on NFORush?
    Ofcourse giving credit and nice backlinks to you (your profile) and gbatemp at bottom and in footer of tutorial :)

Thanks in advance mate.

If you dont like the idea i am absolutely fine with that!! hehe ;P

15. FlameTakuya

FlameTakuya GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 23, 2007
    Senegal
    Republic of Borginia
  16. The Mystical One

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2013
    United States
    And now, mysteriously I am getting internet access sharing the local connection with the virtual... no streetpasses yet though.

17. antlion88

antlion88 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2013
    Parañaque
    Hey guys, I'm using windows 7 and still haven't got it to work. I'm using my iphone tethered via USB as my wired internet connection. So I followed the tutorial, I already used macshift to change my wireless network connection to a Nintendo Zone and I use Virtual Router Manager to connect my 3DS to my laptop. My 3DS detects it as a Nintendo Zone and I have internet connection as I can access the eshop, however I cannot access Nintendo Zone and I get no streetpasses.

What did I do wrong? Or I cannot do it using my iphone as a hotspot?

18. ortsov004

ortsov004 Member

Newcomer
    May 25, 2010
    Colombia
    Tested on both Windows 7 64-bit and Windows 8 64-bit, both in spanish. Virtual Router didn't work because my OS language is not english so I used Connec8. These are the steps I took to make it work:
    1. Spoof MAC using MACShift (macshift -i "device-name" <MAC>)
    2. Create a Hotspot using Connec8 (SSID=attwifi, KEY=<anykey>)
      --Steps 3, 4 & 5 must be done only the first time this is to share the internet connection to the 3DS--
    3. Right click on the connection that has internet access (wired, 3G, etc) and then on Properties
    4. Clic on the Sharing tab, then on the checkbox "Allow..." and then select the name of the adapter that is the Virtual WiFi miniport, then on OK
    5. Setup the hotspot on the Nintendo 3DS, test the internet connection to verify everything is OK
    6. Close the 3DS and wait for the Streetpass magic!
    To cycle through different MACs:
    1. Press X then Enter on Connec8
    2. Spoof MAC using MACShift
    3. Press 1 to restart the hotspot on Connec8
    To terminate the connection:
    1. Press X then Enter on Connec8
    2. Press ctrl+c to quit
    3. Return to your original MAC (macshift -i "device-name" -d)
    Note: Streetpass relay works but you can't access the Nintendo Zone content through the app

19. dicamarques
    OP

dicamarques Definitely not Bruce Wayne.

Jun 25, 2010
    Portugal
    Your computer's Recycle Bin
    Yes Yes, no problem we need more people using this :P

You dont have to edit the file on this version

20. Chaldron

Chaldron GBATemp's Official Attorney

Mar 29, 2013
    United States
    `Murica
    Of course, I can make an "atheros version" and upload it. I'll post in this thread when that's done. Also, do you mean Virtual router stops? or the entire hosted network stops?

If you can use connectify with the original guide, you can use my script with no problems.