[HOW-TO] Have a homemade Streetpass Relay

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by dicamarques, Aug 9, 2013.

?
  1. Linux

90 vote(s)
    7.8%
  2. Android

132 vote(s)
    11.5%
  3. Router

225 vote(s)
    19.6%
  4. Windows

418 vote(s)
    36.3%
  5. A pony with a wifi antenna O.o?

285 vote(s)
    24.8%
  1. MelonGx

MelonGx GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 8, 2009
    China
    After my personal tests:

- attwifi with 4E:53:50:4F:4F:XX is now working on 9.0 but it requires No Encryption.
    - attwifi is no longer recognized as a Nintendo Zone in 9.0.
    - 9.0 users & 8.1 users cannot tag their StreetPass data each other via attwifi.
    - Change attwifi into NZ@McD1 then all the above shorts on 9.0 solved. But this also means (1) many tags from worldwide will flood into the German Nintendo Zones (2) Nintendo will pay more attention to NZ@McD1 than attwifi - Personally I think attwifi getting banned on 9.0 is intentional.

2. driph

driph Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 24, 2013
    United States

Yep, looks that way here too, had passes this morning.

3. Tane

Tane GBAtemp Regular

Aug 8, 2013
    United States
    Interesting.. I'll start testing my Spillpass setup at home.

If we can get some more "firm" conclusions on anything that has changed, I'll update the HomePass MAC Spreadsheet with the relevant info.

Probably need to give it a day or two to sort itself out.

endoverend likes this.
  4. SpongeFreak52

SpongeFreak52 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 8, 2007
    United States
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
    Hm, so if it really is the security that's causing a problem, has anyone tried setting up MAC filtering on their attwifi? I'm hesitant to leave an open attwifi network up, mostly because it causes a lot of phones and devices to automatically connect.

5. alpha_noj

alpha_noj GBAtemp Regular

May 29, 2009
    United States

Trying this now, but doesn't seem to be getting any at the moment. Cycling also seems to be off for some reason, and my router won't switch from 00:0D:67:15:2D:82....weird. That seems to be a router issue though, so I'll mess with that for a bit.

6. duke_srg

duke_srg GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 1, 2011
    Serbia, Republic of
    Moscow

Please leave a note to me before any changes to spreadsheet, my server uses it as a MAC address source and may broke several lists if something happend.
    I'm testing with the single prime MAC and attwifi this night to confirg if it will repeat in 8 hours, the rest I will try to check tomorrow. I'm not able to check the windows method for several weeks unfortunately.

7. duke_srg

Mar 1, 2011
    Serbia, Republic of
    Moscow

I have an open system AP with MAC filter enabled, so maybe this is your issue?

8. alpha_noj

May 29, 2009
    United States

If I'm understanding you correctly, I have a similar setup. I have two routers, the main router for the house (non-streetpass) and a second (streetpass) which is an open network, attwifi as the SSID and mac filtering only allowing my 3DS and a friends. Any other settings I should try? Maybe disconnect my 3DS from the primary wifi altogether for testing?

EDIT: It still doesn't seem to be cycling through the MAC's though. Set it to just set 49, and using telnet to try reseting nzone and it's just staying on the original MAC. Need to try something else though.

9. duke_srg

Mar 1, 2011
    Serbia, Republic of
    Moscow
    It is working exactly the same for European 3DS, while attwifi before 9.x also was glowing but Nintendo Zone itself was accessible only when Australia is selected in 3DS settings. _The Cloud was the only known way to access the russian Nintendo Zone.

10. duke_srg

Mar 1, 2011
    Serbia, Republic of
    Moscow

Did it work before? Just run
    Code:
    rm /tmp/nzone.macs
    /tmp/nzone BASE1

It should set the prime MAC and you shoulg get a streetpass soon. If your mac is not changing there is a possibility that at the time your 3DS checked this AP there was no FW9-compatible streetpass data for it, and now it just in a cooldown. While setting the prime mac is a guarantee that there is a new data outthere.

11. alpha_noj

May 29, 2009
    United States

I'll give that a shot now and get back to you in an hour or so.

EDIT: I know it hasn't been long, but figured I'd post this: when the 3DS is closed and I open it quickly, the top left where it says internet says "streetpass" and then quickly changes to internet as it connects. So it seems it's working, just not getting any actual hits yet. Again, I'll let it sit for a while and see what happens.

12. Tane

Tane GBAtemp Regular

Aug 8, 2013
    United States

MAC filtering should work just fine.

13. Tane

Tane GBAtemp Regular

Aug 8, 2013
    United States

Sure I definitely will leave you a note. I wouldn't change anything drastic anyways, it would more or less be new instructions on the main page. I doubt the MAC list will change at all (unless they are suddenly deemed sterile - which I highly doubt is the case).

14. VaiCorunthians

VaiCorunthians GBAtemp Fan

Oct 7, 2014
    Brazil

Really still working perfectly.
    But only without security key.
    (i change mac and work all attempts)

Maybe the problem is only the security key.

15. Koldur

Koldur Virtual Boy Ambassador

Feb 2, 2008
    Netherlands
    I am there with you, do not like people to use my network and use MAC filtering which works perfectly fine here with using a MAC change script. Though be aware that MAC filtering isn't really airtight, so if you really want to keep it out of your network, just use your router behind another router so that the networks are seperated!

16. SpongeFreak52

Apr 8, 2007
    United States
    Can confirm that MAC filtering on an otherwise unsecured attwifi works fine with 9.0, getting plenty of passes as usual.

Edit: This is on a DD-WRT router, for those curious, not a Windows setup.

17. KaiserAlucard

KaiserAlucard Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 3, 2013
    France
    How to configure an insecure attwifi? I don't know how to do it with cmd.exe.

18. Twaileit

Twaileit Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 7, 2014
    Gambia, The
    This is just guessing, but try to set the options again, but without the key option, like:

Stop network first
    Code:
    netsh wlan stop hostednetwork
    set the options again, but without passphrase
    Code:
    netsh wlan set hostednetwork ssid=attwifi
    and start it again with
    Code:
    netsh wlan start hostednetwork

19. SpongeFreak52

Apr 8, 2007
    United States
    Also just got confirmation from a friend running 8.X that they're still able to pass me on 9.0.

20. slowshutterfilms

slowshutterfilms Member

Newcomer
    Dec 16, 2008
    United States

From what I've read, Windows doesn't allow you to have an unsecured hosted network, which sucks for us :/