How to hack a Wii in 2013 - the right way?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Popopinsel, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Popopinsel
    OP

Popopinsel Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Hi everyone,

I've been away from these forums quite some time and ever since I found my good old N64 in my cellar I started to mess around with Nintendo consoles again.

I have a Wii here, already hacked one or two years ago and since I don't understand no more most of the stuff that is being discussed here on the forums I guess the whole game has changed a lot.

So, if I'd want to bring my outdated Wii into 2013, what would I do and install? My ultimate wish is to have my Wii boot into some nice looking GUI where I find my Wii as well as N64 games stored on a USB drive, with full compatibility for these games. I remember Metroid Prime 3 or Wii Sports Resort making problems where I had to manually edit the "entry point" to the games...

I've already read a bit about S/UNEEK which runs the whole system from an emulated NAND and thus providing full brick protection. So is this the right way to hack a Wii nowadays? Or still just some USB Loader?

Please, be so kind with me and point me to the right direction! :bow:

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Same way as you should hack it in 2012 and in 2011.

Best thing to do is hack it with ModMii.
    It's super simple, even I can do it.
    And I'm all in the 360 hacking ;]

3. C_o_d_y_

C_o_d_y_ Member

Newcomer
    May 6, 2013
    United States
    ModMii truly is the way to go, as it not only downloads the necessary files for you, but places them in the SD card and then gives specific, unique instructions to hack your Wii.
    N64 emulation on the Wii is shaky, although there are constant improvements to it.

4. Popopinsel
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2008
    Gambia, The
    But what about this S/UNEEK thing? Do I need it? Since my Wii is already hacked with cIOS'es etc. is there any advantage in using NAND emulation?

And is there a USB Loader that displays installed VC titles as well as emulator games just like Wii games are displayed (with covers)?

And what is this abstinence thing?

5. Popopinsel
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Anybody?

6. kehkou

kehkou does what Nintendon't

Dec 19, 2009
    United States
    The Duke City
    abstanance virginizez a wii IIRC. NAND emulation is useful for things like if you plan to play GCN games via DIOS MIOS and be able to use quadforce emulator (they both use a cmios, only one mios at a time can be installed). There's other uses for it but I never found any other real reason to emulate the NAND.

As for the usbloader thing, Wiiflow has all those features.

7. AdamBrunt

AdamBrunt GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 24, 2003
    You won't need U/SNEEK if you are only worried about bricking the Wii.

U/SNEEK is all about increasing the system memory so that the number of apps/wiiware installed is limited only by the size of the SD card or USB drive

8. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    SNEEK/UNEEK is used for extra brick protection and various tricks... but it doesn't seem to have very good compatibility and renders one of your devices (USB or SD depending on the version) incapable of loading homebrew or games. I tried it out, and found it way too much hassle myself.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/backup-loaders-comparisons-chart.333364/
    All of those seem to install VC/Wiiware titles.

Abstinence seems to be a way to run homebrew on the Wii without modifying the system files. It's not what you want.