Hacking PS1/2 How to hack a PS2 slim in 2022?

Windows_10_User

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
^^^ This. If you don't have storage on your home network for the PS2 games, you can always buy a ~$20-$30 micro router dedicated and directly connected to your PS2 Slim and then use a USB flash drive or USB HDD to store all your games.

Using a USB drive via network may seem counter intuitive to plugging the USB directly in to the PS2, but PS2 has USB 1.1 which is limited to around 20MB/sec. MX4ISO is faster and uses SD cards. FreeDVDBoot and burning every game is faster still, and the fastest is SMB which will cap out at around 80MB/sec.

I thought burned games were faster than SMB.

Last edited by Windows_10_User,

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will burned game wear the laser faster than original ones?
If they're badly burned, yes. But if you know what you're doing, checking iso images before burning, slow speed burning ×2.4, and using a DVD brand like Verbatim, taking care of these discs (no scratches etc.), it shouldn't be that much of a worry.. And even if something happens, lasers are cheap nowadays anyway..

Windows_10_User

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If they're badly burned, yes. But if you know what you're doing, checking iso images before burning, slow speed burning ×2.4, and using a DVD brand like Verbatim, taking care of these discs (no scratches etc.), it shouldn't be that much of a worry.. And even if something happens, lasers are cheap nowadays anyway..

I thought slow burning was a myth. So, with burned games to Verbatim DVD-Rs, let's say, at x4 speed, the laser shouldn't wear faster?

How can I check ISOs?

Will the PS2 make more noise or slow down when playing burned games (especially in FMVs) even if they were burned right?

OK, but I don't know how to replace it.

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought slow burning was a myth. So, Verbatim DVD-R burned, let's say, at x4 speed, one shouldn't have problems degrading the laser? How can I check the ISO image? Will the PS2 make more noise when playing burned games even if they were burned correctly or stutter in FMVs? Ok, but I don't know how to replace it.
It won't stutter in FMVs, the playback speed is identical to a genuine disc. You can go x4 speed if your writer supports it, but slower is always safer.. You check the ISO just by something like PowerISO, open it with it and see if it has the correct size, or if it's not it'll display a message. You can go the extra mile by comparing the hash with the redump database but that's your call..

Reactions: Windows_10_User

Windows_10_User

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It won't stutter in FMVs, the playback speed is identical to a genuine disc. You can go x4 speed if your writer supports it, but slower is always safer.. You check the ISO just by something like PowerISO, open it with it and see if it has the correct size, or if it's not it'll display a message. You can go the extra mile by comparing the hash with the redump database but that's your call..

Just to be sure, for how long have you played burned games without wearing the laser or other component faster? It's just that I always read it wore the laser faster so it would be better to play via SMB. Also, are all burned games compatible? What about burned PS1 games as well as PS1 and PS2 games from a different region than my PS2? Will they work?

http://www.mucommander.com supports SMB1, but I don't know how well it would work with a PS2.

What about FileZilla Client?

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
just to clear you guys up here are the specs :

• HDD ATA interface: ATA-66 (Roughly 66MB/s).
  • Ethernet interface: 100Mbit (Or 12.5MB/s).
  • USB 1.1 interface: 12Mbit (~1.5 MB/s).
  • CD/DVD drive: 24x speed CD-ROM [3.6 MB/s], 4x speed DVD-ROM [5.28 MB/s].
  • memorycardport : 24mbps wich equals in around (3MB)

Windows_10_User

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
just to clear you guys up here are the specs :

• HDD ATA interface: ATA-66 (Roughly 66MB/s).
  • Ethernet interface: 100Mbit (Or 12.5MB/s).
  • USB 1.1 interface: 12Mbit (~1.5 MB/s).
  • CD/DVD drive: 24x speed CD-ROM [3.6 MB/s], 4x speed DVD-ROM [5.28 MB/s].
  • memorycardport : 24mbps wich equals in around (3MB)

So, is playing games via SMB faster than via disc? Wouldn't playing via HDD be too fast, I mean, would FMVs be too fast?

What about playing PS2 CD games on burned DVD-Rs and playing dual-layered burned games? Would I need to use a dual-layered DVD?

Also, my laptop's DVD drive stopped burning discs but I have an external DVD dribe so could I have any problem if using it to burn discs? What's the best brand, Verbatim? Are DVD-Rs still sold, nowadays?

EDIT: After reinstalling Windows 11, I'm able to manually burn files to DVDs (without using the external DVD drive) on File Explorer with ImgBurn.

EDIT 2: I have a new laptop which doesn't even have a CD/DVD (or BR) drive.

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to be sure, for how long have you played burned games without wearing up the laser or other component? It's just that I always read it weared the laser faster so it would be better to play via SMB. Also, are all burned games compatible? What about burned PS1 games a well as PS1 and PS2 games from a different region than my PS2? Will they work?
Let's just say i had my fair share.. All burned games should be compatible. CD games either PS2 or PS1 put a stress on the laser, and sometimes lasers can stop playing CDs but play DVDs perfectly and vice-versa, but that's a separate matter..
As for burned PS1 games, for Slims there are some PS1 games that don't work, i don't recall which you have to look them up yourself, only a few though, but yes they should work too..
You shouldn't choose between SMB and burning discs, check the compatibility list for SMB, if the game plays fine no issues i would recommend playing without the need of burning a disc, if it's not compatible then you can burn it because you have no other choice.. I strongly advise in preserving the laser in any case..

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So, playing games via SMB is faster than playing via disc? Wouldn't playing via a HDD be too fast, i.e., FMVs would be too quick?
yes they would be faste than disc in theory but nope its like with powerdraw on powersupplies the ps2 and most if aint all consoles dont push speed they take speed so it would be impossible that they run too fast +there are other technicalities wich would prevent from a game running to fast like for instance a fps limiter

What about playing PS2 CD games on burned DVD-Rs and playing dual-layered burned games? Would I need to use a dual-layered disc?
yes if you want to burn them you would need double layered -r dvds (i can recommend Verbatim)
Also, my laptop's drive stopped burning disc but I have an external DVD burner so could I have any problem burning discs? Which is the best brand, Verbatim? Are DVD-Rs still sold, nowadays?
it shouldt matter if its an intern or external burner and at least here in germany verbatims are still around if you cant find them locally theres always amazon or other online retailers

Windows_10_User

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Let's just say i had my fair share.. All burned games should be compatible. CD games either PS2 or PS1 put a stress on the laser, and sometimes lasers can stop playing CDs but play DVDs perfectly and vice-versa, but that's a separate matter..
As for burned PS1 games, for Slims there are some PS1 games that don't work, i don't recall which you have to look them up yourself, only a few though, but yes they should work too..
You shouldn't choose between SMB and burning discs, check the compatibility list for SMB, if the game plays fine no issues i would recommend playing without the need of burning a disc, if it's not compatible then you can burn it because you have no other choice.. I strongly advise in preserving the laser in any case..

Well, I wanted to know if PS1/PS2 CDs might mess up the PS2's laser. So, might PS1 burned games that originally don't work (which doesn't make sense) on PS2 Slims (like mine) work this way? If so, I have no choice but to burn those games, like you said. The thing is, I tried only a few burned games when the FDVDB exploit was released, so I don't know if it wore the laser faster or not. Since then, I've only used OPL via SMB. The other problem is that a lot of games I want to play don't even appear on those lists and the latter might also be obsolete. So, even PS1 and PS2 games from a different region than my PS2 should work? What program do you recommend to burn games?

nope its like with powerdraw on powersupplies the ps2 and most if aint all consoles dont push speed they take speed so it would be impossible that they run too fast +there are other technicalities wich would prevent from a game running to fast like for instance a fps limiter

yes if you want to burn them you would need double layered -r dvds (i can recommend Verbatim)

it shouldt matter if its an intern or external burner and at least here in germany verbatims are still around if you cant find them locally theres always amazon or other online retailers

Well, to be honest, I'm still worried about damaging my PS2's laser since it already makes a loud noise when playing... So, regarding dual-layered discs, I guess OPL may be a better choice.

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, to be honest, I'm still afraid I can damage my PS2 since it already makes a loud noise when playing... So, regarding dual-layered discs, I guess OPL may be a better choice.
thats the way it goes bud sadly those console wont last forever thats why i keep atleast 2-3 spare ps2 + dead ones for spare parts and yes opl+smb is the best way to play on slims at least for most people (if youre very good at micro soldering you could hardmod an ide port on to a slim its been done before)

Windows_10_User

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
thats the way it goes bud sadly those console wont last forever thats why i keep atleast 2-3 spare ps2 + dead ones for spare parts and yes opl+smb is the best way to play on slims at least for most people (if youre very good at micro soldering you could hardmod an ide port on to a slim its been done before)

It's so confusing. Some say it causes no probems, others, the opposite. I don't know what to believe. But there are games which are incompatible on OPL via SMB, the lists might be obsolete or the games may not even appear there.

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought burned game was faster than SMB.
No. Both burned and original CDs and DVDs are slower than SMB.

Maximum throughput speeds for PS2:
  • HDD ATA interface: ATA-66 (Roughly 66MB/s) (not available on slim without specific models and an ATA Drive mod or ATA->SD Card mod)
  • Ethernet interface: 100Mbit (Or 12.5MB/s)
  • MC2SIO adapter: 1.6-2MB/s (Still accessed thru USB 1.1 chipset)
  • USB 1.1 interface: 12Mbit (~1.5 MB/s)
  • CD/DVD drive: 24x speed CD-ROM (3.6 MB/s), 4x speed DVD-ROM (5.28 MB/s)

skx7

Trophies
XP
Country
Join the big boys and use Linux ;) Windows is already over for people who like to have control. Xbox current gen is infested with always online DRM, and windows is a privacy cluster fuck. Embrace Linux. Debian4life :D

Windows_10_User

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Join the big boys and use Linux ;) Windows is already over for people who like to have control. Xbox current gen is infested with always online DRM, and windows is a privacy cluster fuck. Embrace Linux. Debian4life :D

Sorry, but what does that have to do with burning games?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool