How to get Wiimmfi Working on your DSi Without a Flashcart!

Discussion in 'NDS - Tutorials' started by banjo2, May 30, 2018.

?
  1. Yes!

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. No...

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. i don't even have a dsi lol

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  4. I haven't tried it yet.

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. banjo2
    OP

banjo2 little man

May 31, 2016
    United States
    gamer armchair
    Hello, this is a short(ish?) tutorial on how to get Wiimmfi, the custom Nintendo WFC replacement, working on your Nintendo (3)DS(i).

11/3/2018 UPDATE: Only a DNS change is needed for this now. Old tutorial spoilered for archival purposes below.

Old Tutorial

For this, you will need a working WEP/unsecured WiFi connection, IF you want to play DS (non-DSi(Ware) games. You can *usually* get a WEP/unsecured connection by turning on a guest connection in your router settings, and you should probably turn on MAC filtering too. How you do this depends on your router, so it's best to just look it up. You may also use a WiFi hotspot.

The rest is rather simple.

For normal DS games (WEP/unsecured needed)... Start your game from the home menu like you usually do, and navigate to the WiFi settings. Set the WiFi up or edit your connection as you normally would, but set "Auto-obtain DNS" to "No", then set the primary DNS to 164.132.44.106 and the secondary DNS to 8.8.8.8. Save and return to the game. You *should* connect to Wiimmfi's servers, unless the game is unsupported, or something is wrong with your setup. Check https://wiimmfi.de/error for details.

For DSi(Ware) games (WPA[2] usable)... Enter your System Settings > Internet > Connection Settings > and select your current connection. Select "Change Settings" and set "Auto-Obtain DNS" to "No". Go to "Detailed setup" and set your Primary DNS to 164.132.44.106 and your Secondary DNS to 8.8.8.8. This will not interrupt any non-Wiimmfi games, such as the DSi Web Browser. Your DSi game should use these settings when connecting.

If you have any problems when following the guide, or you see a mistake in it, please tell me! This was pretty rushed, so...

Last edited by banjo2, Nov 3, 2018 - Reason: update lol
    Tarmfot, Sirius64, sks316 and 4 others like this.
  2. Catsinabucket

Catsinabucket Permanently Uncertain

Aug 18, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for this! Will definitely be trying it out when I have the chance, since I never seemed to be able to get .nds files patched for Wiimmfi working on my flashcard :unsure:

Now to find out if HiyaCFW can be installed on EUR consoles yet

3. banjo2
    OP

banjo2 little man

May 31, 2016
    United States
    gamer armchair
    As far as I know it can, but you'll need a DSiWare-type entrypoint, I think.

4. Catsinabucket

Aug 18, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Hmm, I have LoZ Four Swords so hopefully I'll be able to use that, since I can't put Flipnote to use at the mo'

5. banjo2
    OP

banjo2 little man

May 31, 2016
    United States
    gamer armchair
    I asked jerbear64, and he said that you wouldn't be able to use Four Swords for this :/

6. Catsinabucket

Aug 18, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Bugger! Ah well, thanks for the info! :)

7. SirNapkin1334

SirNapkin1334 Renound Aritst

Aug 20, 2017
    United States
    Crap Mountain
    Could this be reworked to work on a 3DS?

8. Catsinabucket

Aug 18, 2015
    United Kingdom
    I believe that you can already do this with the NitroHax 3DS application

SirNapkin1334 and banjo2 like this.
  9. banjo2
    OP

banjo2 little man

May 31, 2016
    United States
    gamer armchair
    There is a 3DS version of both NitroHax and Wooddumper, so yes. I can imagine that the 3DS can DS ROMs just fine, though. I don't have a 3DS, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10. pasc

pasc GBATemps GBA Freak

Sep 9, 2006
    Germany
    Germany
    Holy... that is way to complex... just for a lil bit of online gaming..
    The NWFC play with RnR2 was always so-so. Sometimes good, other times laggy.
    (Didn't keep me from playing it wayyyy to often back then)
    I doubt this replacement works that reliable...

Also, I suppose the cheaters are still amok in MPH anyhow, so I'll rather stick to online play.

11. banjo2
    OP

banjo2 little man

May 31, 2016
    United States
    gamer armchair
    I've experienced random disconnects, but my Internet isn't exactly the most reliable either.

The real trouble is finding someone to play with at all. With all the steps needed, plus a WEP/unsecured connection, in 2018, etc, you'd be lucky if you found more than 1 person in a day on that game. Scheduled plays are the best way to find anyone. The game has only had 52 logins in the last 7 days.

12. barronwaffles

barronwaffles GBAtemp Regular

May 15, 2014
    Syria
  13. banjo2
    OP

banjo2 little man

May 31, 2016
    United States
    gamer armchair
    Wait... This exists?? :rofl2: I didn't realize that... Would it be alright if I put this in the first post and credited you? Featured Posts were removed from GBATemp, so...

14. barronwaffles

May 15, 2014
    Syria
    Yeah, sure - no problem.

banjo2 likes this.
  15. banjo2
    OP

banjo2 little man

May 31, 2016
    United States
    gamer armchair
    I've shortened the blog, thanks to @barronwaffles. It should be much easier to follow, now.

16. barronwaffles

May 15, 2014
    Syria
    Why delete games from the cheat list? It functions fine with the entire set.

17. banjo2
    OP

banjo2 little man

May 31, 2016
    United States
    gamer armchair
    It takes up a lot of space. From what I've heard, NitroHax can't handle the large file.

18. barronwaffles

May 15, 2014
    Syria
    It's only 399 KB, not exactly a large file - NitroHax has absolutely no issue with it.

19. banjo2
    OP

banjo2 little man

May 31, 2016
    United States
    gamer armchair
    Ohh, then i'll take that part out. Thanks ;)

20. theoldbucwild

theoldbucwild GBAtemp Regular

Apr 15, 2017
    United States