How to get sound from laptop to Home Cinema?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by kristianity77, Nov 28, 2013.

1. kristianity77
    OP

kristianity77 GBATemp old fogey

Jul 10, 2003
    Bewdley, UK
    Am hoping some technically minded people can advise me on what I need to do here (if at all!)

Basically I have a laptop which is ageing a bit so doesnt have bluetooth installed.

I have a home cinema system which can however receive sound through bluetooth as on my Galaxy Note 2 i can pair it up with the sound system to get sound from apps such as TuneIn etc.

My question is, on my laptop, I have probably 30 gbs worth of music collected over the years and Id love to be able to play music from my laptop to this sound system in a similar way.

What do i need to buy to do this, or is it going to be more difficult than its worth?

2. marcus134

marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 7, 2011
    Canada
    Québec
  3. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    ...or you could buy a bluetooth adapter, and use that.

Sicklyboy likes this.
  4. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    There's plenty of ways to do it, depending on how much money you want to spend and how simple/intricate you want it to be.

Simple and cheap is gonna be, like marcus134 said, a 3.5mm to RCA adapter. More complicated would be buying something like a Raspberry Pi or a ChromeCast and set those up as HTPCs connected to your home theater system.

I personally have a server computer in my room that hosts all multimedia that I want access to, with hidden network shares so I can stream to anywhere in the house, and with PlexMediaServer installed so I can stream to mobile devices and other computers should I need to.

Or that, which would be the obvious solution that nobody else thought of for some reason.

http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-USB...&qid=1385614744&sr=8-6&keywords=usb+bluetooth

Buy a few if you get those, because they can arrive DOA or burn out in a short period, or they can work just fine. Speaking from experience on those.

5. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Unamused frog

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    What Tom said, you can get a USB bluetooth adapter for under £5 on ebay/amazon. It would be the easiest wireless solution for you by far.