IE-coRe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Hello!
I am sorry if this is a noob question but I am new to the 3DS Scene. I had a DSi and a M3i Flashcard Years ago so I am not totally new to things but well let's get to my Question. I am currently living in Taiwan and I am picking up a second hand 3DS XL that is a TWN Region System. This is a bad thing because i am not fluent in Chinese so I intend to play games in English. I am willing to mistreat the thingy in any possible way like installing CFW and things like that or even buying a Flashcard if necessary.
As I said I the main point is getting rid of regional locking but I also wouldn't mind being able to play homebrew and Roms. I assume that the system will be on a new, if not the latest firmware but I don't know for sure yet.
Thanks for help in advance! :)

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You will need to install and run a custom firmware.

However I don't think it's possible at all for Chinese or Taiwanese systems...

rubycrow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Best way is to install cfw. But if you cant install cfw, you can get ninjhax or any *hax and run region free with a us/eu region cartridge or sky3ds+.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yes, the 3 major regions (Japanese, American, European) are the best for hacking (and frankly for almost everything else)

All versions of N3DS are hackable in some way or another, of course getting 10.6 or under will greatly help (as you won't have to buy any software)

IE-coRe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Yes, the 3 major regions (Japanese, American, European) are the best for hacking (and frankly for almost everything else)

All versions of N3DS are hackable in some way or another, of course getting 10.6 or under will greatly help (as you won't have to buy any software)
I guess it should ship with a low firmware. It's the pear white version. So I can just buy it and go ahead?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ah I didn't know that. Did the old guide have support for Taiwan?

Don't think so, China was basically abandoned in the 7.x days as far as feature updates go, Taiwan is on the practical equivalent of 9.3 but the base system is updated, and Korea mostly gets the full deal except Miiverse; this "creative" combination of variants of western system apps means little hope for 3dsx loading (classic .dat browserhax might have worked, but we're talking about n3ds so...)

Reactions: Quantumcat

IE-coRe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
I was reading around online and i found out that there is a chance that a new Japanese n3ds ll will come with a firmware version that doesn't let me install CFW? I don't have any other 3ds or something that would let me do a downgrade. Is that gonna be a realistic problem? The one I am eyes was bought in a store in Japan October 29..

Edit: The TWN Version is off the Table btw I am deciding between a 3 month used Japan model that comes with a sky3ds blue button card and a new japan modell. Price is about the same.. the sky card would make things easier I guess but I like the color of the new one much better and it's well.. new..

Last edited by IE-coRe,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I was reading around online and i found out that there is a chance that a new Japanese n3ds ll will come with a firmware version that doesn't let me install CFW? I don't have any other 3ds or something that would let me do a downgrade. Is that gonna be a realistic problem? The one I am eyes was bought in a store in Japan October 29..

Edit: The TWN Version is off the Table btw I am deciding between a 3 month used Japan model that comes with a sky3ds blue button card and a new japan modell. Price is about the same.. the sky card would make things easier I guess but I like the color of the new one much better and it's well.. new..
Yes - on 11.0, 11.1, 11.2 you would need a hardmod or DSiWare downgrade (needing a second console)

IE-coRe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Yes - on 11.0, 11.1, 11.2 you would need a hardmod or DSiWare downgrade (needing a second console)
That's a bummer. Is there any way to be able to tell the shipping firmware without opening the box? I could ask the seller to check for me.

IE-coRe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
If it's brand new and not a special edition is had a good chance of being on a low firmware.
It's the ?I suppose somewhat newer? white version. Was considering to get the super Famicom version cuz it looks awesome but that's too pricey anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0