How to get rid of regional locking on TWN 3DS XL

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by IE-coRe, Nov 8, 2016.

1. IE-coRe
    OP

IE-coRe Member

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2016
    Taiwan
    Hello!
    I am sorry if this is a noob question but I am new to the 3DS Scene. I had a DSi and a M3i Flashcard Years ago so I am not totally new to things but well let's get to my Question. I am currently living in Taiwan and I am picking up a second hand 3DS XL that is a TWN Region System. This is a bad thing because i am not fluent in Chinese so I intend to play games in English. I am willing to mistreat the thingy in any possible way like installing CFW and things like that or even buying a Flashcard if necessary.
    As I said I the main point is getting rid of regional locking but I also wouldn't mind being able to play homebrew and Roms. I assume that the system will be on a new, if not the latest firmware but I don't know for sure yet.
    Thanks for help in advance! :)

2. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    You will need to install and run a custom firmware.

However I don't think it's possible at all for Chinese or Taiwanese systems...

3. rubycrow

rubycrow Member

Newcomer
    Oct 25, 2016
    United States
    Best way is to install cfw. But if you cant install cfw, you can get ninjhax or any *hax and run region free with a us/eu region cartridge or sky3ds+.

4. IE-coRe
    OP

IE-coRe Member

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2016
    Taiwan
    What about Japanese New 3DS LL unopened with original firmware? Can CFW be installed?

5. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Yes, the 3 major regions (Japanese, American, European) are the best for hacking (and frankly for almost everything else)

All versions of N3DS are hackable in some way or another, of course getting 10.6 or under will greatly help (as you won't have to buy any software)

6. IE-coRe
    OP

IE-coRe Member

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2016
    Taiwan
    I guess it should ship with a low firmware. It's the pear white version. So I can just buy it and go ahead?

7. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Have a read of https://plailect.github.io/Guide and put in Taiwanese region. See what each firmware requires of you. Then you can decide if you want to get a Taiwanese system or hold out for a Japanese one.

8. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Eh, there's no guide for Taiwan/China or for New+Korean :D

9. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Ah I didn't know that. Did the old guide have support for Taiwan?

10. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Don't think so, China was basically abandoned in the 7.x days as far as feature updates go, Taiwan is on the practical equivalent of 9.3 but the base system is updated, and Korea mostly gets the full deal except Miiverse; this "creative" combination of variants of western system apps means little hope for 3dsx loading (classic .dat browserhax might have worked, but we're talking about n3ds so...)

Quantumcat likes this.
  11. thekarter104

thekarter104 GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    What is the letter after the firmware version shown in system settings? Example: 9.2-20U

12. IE-coRe
    OP

IE-coRe Member

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2016
    Taiwan
    I was reading around online and i found out that there is a chance that a new Japanese n3ds ll will come with a firmware version that doesn't let me install CFW? I don't have any other 3ds or something that would let me do a downgrade. Is that gonna be a realistic problem? The one I am eyes was bought in a store in Japan October 29..

Edit: The TWN Version is off the Table btw I am deciding between a 3 month used Japan model that comes with a sky3ds blue button card and a new japan modell. Price is about the same.. the sky card would make things easier I guess but I like the color of the new one much better and it's well.. new..

Last edited by IE-coRe, Nov 9, 2016
  13. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Yes - on 11.0, 11.1, 11.2 you would need a hardmod or DSiWare downgrade (needing a second console)

14. IE-coRe
    OP

IE-coRe Member

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2016
    Taiwan
    That's a bummer. Is there any way to be able to tell the shipping firmware without opening the box? I could ask the seller to check for me.

15. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    If it's brand new and not a special edition is had a good chance of being on a low firmware.

16. IE-coRe
    OP

IE-coRe Member

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2016
    Taiwan
    It's the ?I suppose somewhat newer? white version. Was considering to get the super Famicom version cuz it looks awesome but that's too pricey anyway.

17. IE-coRe
    OP

IE-coRe Member

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2016
    Taiwan
    Got the brand new one, firmware 10.7.0J! Win?

18. pokemoner2500

pokemoner2500 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States