How to get rich in TF2.

I hope this is the correct place to put this, if not, I'll move it, or if I can't can a mod please?
Anyway this is how my friend got his unusual by starting with a jag he got in a drop.

1. Get a drop. It can be any, just make sure it is a drop or else it's worth nothing. He started with a Jag.

2. Go on a website like tf2tp.com or tf2outpost.com , login using steam, and put it up for trade, ask for either a scrap or 2 random weapons.

3a (If you get a scrap.) Find a scrap banker. Sell them the scrap for 2 weapons (Any will do)

3b (If you get two random weapons) Put those up on either of the sites listed above. Sell them each for two random weapons or a scrap.

4. Repeat 2 - 3b until you get enough metal for a key or a good strange (Like a Strange Machina or Strange shotty). or you can keep getting metal.

5. Save metal. Then, go out and post on one of those websites I listed above (again) offering the metal for a hat of your choice. Use this for prices;
tf2spreadsheet.blogspot.com
when you get a hat, try sell it for a little bit more metal than it's worth, or a little more than what you paid for it.
Repeat step 5 as long as you want.

6. Buy Bill hats, Earbuds or Keys. Those are currency to buy an unusual, or anything really.

And for everyone who wants the links again;
http://tf2tp.com
http://tf2outpost.com
http://tf2spreadsheet.blogspot.com

IMPORTANT: The spreadsheet is for references ONLY. Do NOT use it as a normal price guide! I can not stress that enough!

So there you have it. Note, this can take time! If you follow this guide to the letter, you will begin to get some amazing items. Please post below on what could be improved upon, thank you :)

TheDreamLord

OP
Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
Wow, TF2 has turned from a team FPS, to a 'who has the coolest hat', to an in depth economy. :blink:

Nice guide though, will try it out in the future.

Lol ikr! I only want the nice ones, don't give a damn if it's craftable or not. I much prefer collecting Strange items, and thanks for the feedback :)

guedesbrawl

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
i, personally, don't see the charm in customization without profits;or in other world,hats that aren't part of a item set.
but this can get me new weapons i guess.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its tedious doing it that way
I prefer other ways instead

I have 2 idle accounts so I get stuff from both those accounts
new stranges I buy for a low price then sell them for a lot higher
I only do deals where I can make profit off of it unless its something I really want

today for example I got a beta invite for counter strike global offensive
first wave of invites was last week, they sold for maxs head, unusuals, 2x+ buds
second wave was this week, market was flooded with people asking for the same amount as last week
nobody was buying them, I can see the market value is dropping quickly on these, I wanted to get rid of it quick so I asked for 1 bud + 1 bills and did a quick trade

you have to learn how to read the market (just like real life) and be comfortable with making investments in some area's

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow, TF2 has turned from a team FPS, to a 'who has the coolest hat', to an in depth economy. :blink:

Nice guide though, will try it out in the future.

Actually i'll fix that statement.

Wow, TF2 has turned from a team FPS, to a team FPS with a 'who has the coolest hat' addon, to a team FPS with an in depth economy.

If you so desire you can ignore hats, i've never bothered with them or trading either.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would do this for a few hats that catch my eye but mainly for the weps (I want a sydeny sleeper so much :C)
if you want I can give a machina
Thanks but I got one (I get alot of bullshit about it not being genuine though stupid 25 year old collection whores)

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
It has been so long since I played TF2. Has the market for weapons really gotten this complex??

I remember when there were no extra item sets! Those were the days. BRING BACK VANILLA TF2!!!

ZaeZae64

Trophies
Website
puu.sh
XP
Country
United States
Has the market for weapons really gotten this complex??
I wouldn't really call it "complex" as it's generally like most markets.
There's the shit that's pretty worthless (weapons (excluding rare ones like the big Kill), then there's the semi valuable stuff (old hats), Currency (Keys, Refined Metal, Earbuds Bill's hat Real life money etc) the more valuable hats (newer ones) and then the unusuals (which can go for hundreds of dollars)

As for the whole Vanilla TF2 thing, I don't really see, what's so bad about having an economy. You can still play the game and ignore all the cosmetics, the traders etc because most of the time, you'll only see traders in trading servers, which you shouldn't even be on in the first place if you're just trying to play the game.

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A much better method is using a backpack scanner such as the up-to-no-good scanner and hop servers scanning backpacks. Find people with valuable items and low play times and try to get them to trade it for a lower value, some people newer players are more than willing to trade their newly unboxed unusual for two craft hats (or even uncraftables for that matter) and maybe 3-5 weapons that they don't have of a class they like or even a (cheap) strange weapon. If you're gonna go with that approach I suggest using TF2LS or similar to check what items they don't have. If you do this, don't be afraid to stretch the truth a bit but don't go as far as to lie to them. The hardest part is getting them to enter a trade with you, most suitable targets just let the trade request time out.

Personally I don't do it but I know there are many who do, heck, even the first burning team captain ( I believe it was burning, might have been another high tier effect) was obtained in a similar fashion for about the value of 2 keys and the guy who got it resold it (for cash) shortly after for a huge profit.

Just as there are people who unintentionally undervalue their items, there are also some who unintentionally over value their items, such as people who are new and try to sell their recently bought dirty hat for a few keys.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Here we go +2