Hacking <How-To>Get Homebrew up and running using the Twilight Hack.

Prime

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
For the people who don't understand it....

What You Need

Wii (chip or non-chipped, doesn't matter),
SD Card (Remember the Wii doesn't read SDHC so you are limited to 2GB or less),
The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii version),
Free Time,
Computer,
SD Card Reader,
WinRAR or any other .RAR/.ZIP extractor

Summary: Back Up & Copy save to SD Card

Back Up -

First you may want to backup your twilight save if you have one. Go into setting -> Data Management -> Save Data -> Wii then save data and copy the twilight save to your SD Card. Connect the SD Card to your computer by a SD Card reader or a built in reader, inside the "private" folder there is another, just keep click on the folders untill you find the save. Move the BIN file to a safe location.

Now download the Twilight Princess hacked save. or if you have wii firmware 3.3 download this version

twilight-hackicon.png

Extract it using your own .ZIP extractor. I use WinRAR so i would right click the .ZIP and choose "Extract to twilight-hack-v0.1-alpha3a".

twilight-hackextract.png

WinRAR will produce a folder called "twilight-hack-v0.1-alpha3a".

twilight-hackiconextacted.png

Inside that folder there is four BIN files.

twilight-hackiconcontents.png

Refer to the Diagram below locate your Region and pick the file name from the diagram. Now select the correct file from twilight-hack-v0.1-alpha3a". So I'm from Europe i would pick rzdp0.bin from "twilight-hack-v0.1-alpha3a". Then copy the save from "twilight-hack-v0.1-alpha3a" into the SD Card where your last save was and name it data.bin.

twilighthack.jpg

Summary: Copying the save, booting up twilight princess

Now take your SD Card and place it inside the Wii's SD Slot. Power on your console and go to settings -> Data Management -> Save Data -> Wii and at the very top there is a Tab called "SD Card" select that and pick the save, select "Copy". After a few seconds it will be done, you can go ahead and Erase this save from your SD Card as you don't need it anymore.

Summary: boot your first .elf

Now you have everything set up, but to get Homebrew working you must have the Homebrew. Homebrew for the Wii comes in .elf format. Over at Wiibrew.org they have a handy table of wii homebrew which has been released (not all homebrew tho). Pick your homebrew and download it. If it isn't already, rename the .ELF to "boot.elf" and place it on the root of your SD Card (the root is the place where you see when you click on your sd card reader in "My Computer").

sdroot.png

Start up The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess and choose the first save. Walk backwards and a black screen with white writing scrolling will appear. Your choice of homebrew will boot in a matter of seconds.

Summary: Extra information

The twilight hack can only boot one boot.elf and it doesn't let you choose the homebrew to boot if you have 2 or more .elf's on your SD Card. This is where Loaders come into action. For this Tutorial i will be using the Wii Homebrew Launcher which requires a Gamecube controller. The loader will come in .elf format as normal. Rename it boot.elf and place it on your SD Card, overwriting any other boot.elf if need be.

Now for the Wii Homebrew launcher the different homebrew must be in diffeent folders. So make a folder called homebrew and a few new folders in that new folder, name each folder what ever name the homebrew is.

contentsloader.png

Download the required homebrew you want and rename all the .elf's you download to "boot.elf". Copy each boot.elf to the folders making sure there is a boot.elf in each folder.

Now take the SD Card, put it in the wii and load twilight princess, walk backwards and in a few seconds the loader will load.

NOTE: Some Homebrew require a Gamecube Controller.

Any questions? Post in this topic.

EDIT:

I recommend you use the Homebrew Channel instead of the loader, you then wouldn't need twilight princess

duncans_pumpkin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
good work ive noticed some things for clean up.
"The has left you with a folder called" should be WinRar has left you with such and such. If i was being piss annoying i would mention the grammatical error in the next sentance and missing capitilization in a later sentance.

"If it isn't already, rename the .ELF to "boot"" some noobs may not understand that means rename it boot.elf and it thinks just rename it boot with no extension.

Thats about it could do with some pictures.

g4jek8j54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Very nice guide! In addition to some of the minor things mentioned in the previous post, I would suggest adding something about different versions. For example, the 'RVL-RZDE-0A-0 USA' version of Twilight Princess requires the 'rzde0.bin' file, while the 'RVL-RZDE-0A-2 USA' version requires the 'rzde2.bin' file. Other then that, it is a very nice and informative guide!

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, I was just about to write one of these cause I was tired of seeing the same damn questions asked. You, my friend, just saved me a good chunk of time.
happy.gif

drock360

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
duncans_pumpkin said:
good work ive noticed some things for clean up.
"The has left you with a folder called" should be WinRar has left you with such and such. If i was being piss annoying i would mention the grammatical error in the next sentance and missing capitilization in a later sentance.

"If it isn't already, rename the .ELF to "boot"" some noobs may not understand that means rename it boot.elf and it thinks just rename it boot with no extension.

The save file that you already backed up from your Zelda game has the same name as the bin file that you need. Thank you so much for this guide!

Please Sticky This!

Prime

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
.:Kurda:. said:
By the way it really would have helped to add in that you need a fcking gamecube controller, thank you for wasting my time.

Just to be annoying I'll go edit the post
tongue.gif

QUOTE(duncans_pumpkin @ Apr 22 2008, 11:05 PM) good work ive noticed some things for clean up.

Edited. Thanks.

picture coming soon.

EDIT: Some pictures are up =]

Prime

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
creepingcreep said:
Just a quick bit of potentially useless information, but this doesn't apper to work on a micro-sd card with an sd adapter. Took me a while to realise
wacko.gif

Erm, for me it works with a micro-sd card with an sd adapter. That is what i currently have set up.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
-x1_0_nt- said:
First you may want to backup your twilight save if you have one. Go into setting -> Data Management -> Save Data -> Wii then save data and copy the twilight save to your SD Card. Connect the SD Card to your computer by a SD Card reader or a built in reader, inside the "private" folder there is another, just keep click on the folders untill you find the save. Move the BIN file to a safe location. REMEMBER THE SAVE TITLE.

what save title? my original save file just says "data.bin" nothing else
wacko.gif

edit: you should add this picture to explain what you mean by the save title or no one will have a clue what you are talking about.

twilighthack.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol