How to get Games like Duke Nukem 3D (XBLA) as a poor German?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Bonny, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Bonny
    OP

Member Bonny 34 years old and the leisure time of a kid

Germany
    Is it possible to get XBLA Game-Demos (like Duke Nukem 3D) from the Internet, so they can be burned to a CD/DVD (like the Jap ResidentEvil5 Demo), to play them on any Xbox, anywhere in the World and then purchase the Game over the Xbox 360?

Any other solution to get XBLA Games in a country like Germany, where many games are not being released?

2. DjoeN

Member DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    Dunno,

Setting another country as default, prolly doesn't help much, but should be worth a try

but, it's just a tought [​IMG]

3. Bonny
    OP

Germany
    As i got my Box (Jap Version) - The first thing i've done was changeing my Location to HK and my Language to english - Forget it...

I always thougt they simply know it throu the IP... but some People are saying it worked in the past, if you had set up a second Xbox-live-Account with the desired Location - but thats against the rules and should be impossible since the Big Update.

I just though: If someone has ripped the RE5 Demo from his HDD - why can't XBLA Demos be ripped from the HDD and burned to DVD, and then purchased over my Box.

I can also play japanese only Xbox 360 games like Otomedius from my location... i was hoping purchasing the Fullversion would work that way.

4. rscarrab

Member rscarrab GBAtemp Regular

Ireland
    Hey, just throwing this out there but since this was done before NXE there is always a possibility this won't work...

Short answer:

Create a windows live ID (like hotmail) through the spanish version (theoretically it could be any country/language) of the webpage. Create a new Xboxlive account with said email and it should go by whatever region your email is set at. You may have to ring tech support and ask them to enable your account if you cant connect to Live (this most likely will happen), just say that this is your only email address and you won't create another one. Thing is you can't use your credit card for purchases if you change region.

Long answer:

A friend of mine, a few months ago, purchased a 360 for the first time. I called round to give him a hand setting up his xbox but ran into a snag very early on in the registration process.

What happened was after entering his pre-existing hotmail address and creating a profile etc. we couldn't get a connection to live. Thing was that everything was good on our end (after the usual process of elimination) so i was kinda scratching my head.

[It's important that i mention that his hotmail account was actually created when he was living in Spain for a year and he had been using the same one ever since]

So i picked up the phone. After talking to the 360 tech support it turned out that they managed to enable his account and we were connected to live. He wanted to use his credit card for all future xbla purchases and addon's but bought the 12 month live subscription in the shop since it was handy at the time of purchase. He then entered the serial number on the gold subscription card and everything seemed fine.

Skip forward an hour or two and im now at home and i get a call from the same mate saying he cant use his credit card to purchase Castle Crashers. So i rang the tech support for him using his secret question and answer (he's got a short fuse & no technical know-how, so tech support calls aren't his forte).

What they didn't tell me in the previous call was that his account was set to the spanish region (i was told some xbla and game demo's would be available and some might not be, which could possibly be both a good thing and a bad thing) and he couldn't use his credit card to buy off the marketplace unless he created a new *english* Windows Live ID (hotmail).

Unfortunately for him, he had to pay for another year's Live subscription because he couldn't redeem the code we used earlier. They wouldn't give me anything and i really grilled the tech guy to the point where he was stone-walling me with "is there anything else i can help you with sir (x4)". Bunch of scam artists if you ask me.

Hope this helps, i'd like to know if it works again, cause if it does than a lot of people like yourself can pick and choose what region suits them best.

5. Bonny
    OP

Germany
    Working.

It's much easier than you're thinking rscarrab. Creating an Account with US Marketplace access is the easy part.

The Problem: If i try to download a Doom Demo or Duke 3D (all these Things, not available in Germany) a window appears "Download not allowed from your Location"

6. rscarrab

Ireland
    It probably is much easier than i was thinking and could have been written in a more structured manner. Thing is that i never got to properly test this out since it was a once off thing that was a problem. Not just that but i was trying to do the opposite of what your doing, which is to change to the local region from a foreign region. I was looking to fix a problem, while your having a problem with your fix. hehe.

FYI he downloaded Castle Crashers, though for arguments sake that game could have been on all regions. A good way to test it out would have been to download a region specific demo / xbla demo like you were trying to do.

have you done this?;
    -made a new account, email address and all.
    -created a new profile and joined xboxlive for first time with this account
    -changed region (you tried USA, why not try Spain? If anything wouldn't the USA region be under more scrutiny?)
    -if connection doesn't work, ask to be connected through tech support (if you haven't tried this step yet than why not?)(my mate's account had to be activated since his region was different, he couldn't download anything let alone connect to xboxlive itself, once it worked it was only his credit card that didn't work)

If you have than shit one mate, i can't provide any other advice on the matter.

7. Bonny
    OP

Germany
    Don't get me wrong please...

I've done what you said (all points) and had no connection Problems.

I can access the US marketplace and... well... some things are working, some are not:

WORKING
    -----------
    - Can download Demos of XBLA Games like Tempest or Tetris Splash, that were not released in Germany
    - Can download Demos of Community Games (This Section is completely unavailable in Germany at the Moment)
    - Can Download Xbox 360 Demos, like Conan, who were not available in German

NOT WORKING
    -----------------
    - Can't download Demos of XBLA Games that are forbidden in Germany (Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Smash TV - i get a Microsoft Message: "Not available from your location")
    - Can't purchase Full Versions of Community Games (I tried only Adventure Pets HD - it didn't worked, no message this time - nothing happend when i clicked "purchase")
    - Can't download Demos of Xbox 360 Games that are not officially relesaed in Germany (Ninja Gaiden 2 - "Not available from your location")

I have not tried to purchase a FullVersion of a regular XBLA Game like Tetris jet... cause there is much less intresting Stuff on the US Market than i expected...

However, at least i can look and test XBLA and Community Games (and maybe also buy them) also i can get Video-Trailers that are unavaiable here and Demos of Games like Conan.

As far as i know now, i can Download Games like Duke 3D throu VPN and i guess i need also US Points-Cards to add Points to the US Account for buying... cause i can't transfer Points from my german Account to the other Account... and as i said: I haven't tried to buy something with the german account (You know what i mean: Downloading a Demo throu the US Account and then buying it from the german Account)

Too much work in all for 1-2 intresting Games... anyway, have many thanks for your help! [​IMG]

8. skarthebloodchild

Member skarthebloodchild Keep It Old School

Greece
    It 's all a matter of ip.
    Here in Greece we have not official Live and so if we want to dl/d something 18+ we have to do a vpn trick(virtual private network).
    We get German ip and it forbids 18+ material so only the vpn trick works .
    Believe me.

9. da_rula

Member da_rula GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    I'm from germany too and got Duke3D AND Doom (both paid and full version!).

The first step, creating an account for the desired region is the right step. I did it with an Austria (Oesterreich) account.
    After that, you have to connect your Xbox through a VPN connection to an IP where the games are able to download, like
    USA, Austria or Swiss.

Just google the web a bit, on how to set up a VPN Proxy connection for your xbox. Just be aware of, that you need a PC/Laptop
    with 2 LAN cards or 1x LAN and 1x WLAN card to get this working!

After downloading the demo, you maybe want to purchase the full version (Duke3D is absolutely WORTH it, believe me!). Well,
    here comes the Austria account in handy. You can buy MS points online, which work in complete Europe, and so will work with
    the Austria account. I did it that way and loooooooooove playing Duke3D on my Xbox360 [​IMG]

Oh, by the way: I've no idea if this whole procedure still works with NXE. I did it the time, duke3d was just released on xbla [​IMG]

10. rscarrab

Ireland
    Hey da_rula i was just about to send you a pm there to ask you to give this guy a hand, turns out you got here already. [​IMG]

Bonny i was pretty sure you could get this working but i couldn't figure out why then i just remembered that da_rula had duke3d and he was from Germany too.

Anyway, hope it works out. Oh btw, i had no idea you had to connect your xbox through a VPN connection! But most importantly; why would you need two network cards?

11. Bonny
    OP

Germany
    Thanks for all the help...

As i said in my last Post: I already heard of "VPN" and i already expected it would work like a Proxy-Server. But, to be honest: I don't know anything about VPN.
    And if it is true that i need 2 Network-Cards, then my last part of intrest has faded away...

As mentioned above: There is much less intresting Stuff available outside Germany than i though... I got also a huge N64 Collection, so i keep on playing my Duke Nukem 64 and Doom 1+2+3 on my old Xbox [​IMG]

And i guess i don't really need Tetris Splash, as i already got New Tetris (N64) and Tetris Parts (Wii)

Demos like Resident Evil 5 are available online and can be burned to DVD.

Summary: I don't miss anything important. [​IMG]