Tutorial  Updated

How to get exFat working on any custom firmware

Hi guys this is my first post but I've been behind the scene for a while hopefully this helps a lot of you that had the same issue with the exFat format.

I've been researching for a while on how to get my Switch on firmware 5.1.0 to support exFat format without updating. I tried many solutions posted across every forum that is currently active on the Switch scene and non of them worked for me. Today as I was researching I came across on how to update the Switch without burning the fuses using ChoiDujourNX. As many of you know when you this program it gives you the choice on update the console with or without exFat support. I use this program with my current firmware 5.1.0 and selected the exFat support option and what is going to do is only write on your nand the exFat support files. After rebooting the console it worked flawlessly.

**** THIS GUIDE ALSO WILL HELP YOU TO UPDATE YOUR CONSOLE OFFLINE TO THE LATEST FIRMWARE WITHOUT BURNING FUSES TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO RESTORE YOUR CONSOLE TO AN EARLIER FIRMWARE OR BACKUP ****

**** NOW THERE IS SUPPORT FOR 6.2.0 AND IS SAVE TO UPDATE WITH CHOIDUJOURNX ****

**** DO NOT UPDATE TO 8.0.0, 7.0.0 OR 7.0.1 UNTIL A HOMEBREW UPDATE IS AVAILABLE ****

**** This guide works with 6.2.0 and below as long as you use ChoiDujourNX to update your system and not burn fuses in case you want to downgrade back. ****

What do you need?

1. Injection payload tool like TegraRCMGui or WebCFWLoader.
2. MicroSD formatted on fat32 ... Windows user can use Fat32Format tool ... http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm ... Mac users can use the Disk Utility Tool
3. Hekate payload get the latest ... https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate/releases ... currently v4.10.1
4. hbmenu ... https://github.com/switchbrew/nx-hbmenu/releases ... currently v3.0.1
5. ChoiDujourNX ... https://switchtools.sshnuke.net/ ... currently v101
6. Your current firmware version if you don't want to update ... for obvious reasons I can't post a link but google is your friend
7. And if you want to check your fuses and confirmed that you didn't burn any you can use briccmii before updating and after ... https://switchtools.sshnuke.net/ ... currently v2

/// -- PS: If you want all the latest sd card files you go to this link ... AtlasNX/Kosmos formerly known as tumGER/SDFiles -- ///

First Step .. On the PC

1. Format your microsd card to fat32 format using your prefer method.
2. Create a folder named switch and one named firmware on the root of the sdcard.
3. Put the hbmenu.nro on the root of the sdcard.
4. Put the ChoiDujourNX.nro inside the switch folder.
5. Put the downloaded firmware according to your console inside the firmware folder. For example is your is 5.1.0 make sure that your sdcard looks like this ... MicroSD:/firmware/5.1.0/and the files in here

Second Step .. On the Switch

1. This first step is very IMPORTANT! ... If you haven't done it DO A BACKUP OF YOUR NAND ... is imperative that you have one in case something goes wrong. Follow this guide ... https://gbatemp.net/threads/backup-...-your-biskeys-tseckeys-keys-txt-guide.513386/
2. Boot your console on RCM mode and inject the Hekate payload using your prefer method to boot into custom firmware.
3. Once loaded go the Album icon and click on it. It should bring the hombrew menu and you be able to see the ChoiDujourNX app. Click on it to loaded.

41731795_342834109622713_134069319700054016_o.jpg

41602530_342834162956041_5866087983806939136_o.jpg

4. Once in ChoiDujourNX you be able to see all the folders on the root of your microsd. Click on the firmware folder you should see the 5.1.0 folder with update files inside of it. Click on the bottom where it says Choose.

41827828_342834189622705_6340851886295351296_o.jpg

41863939_342834106289380_7328474414805155840_o.jpg

**** QUICK NOTE --- AUTORCM IS ENABLED BY DEFAULT --- IF DON'T WANT AUTORCM ENABLE UNTICK BEFORE START INSTALLATION ON STEP 5 ****

5. On the next screen is going to load the files and ask you which firmware with or without exFat. Click 5.1.0exFat. Then click Select Firmware and on the last screen Start Installation.

41752378_342834122956045_4361313975103651840_o.jpg

41745309_342834206289370_7810144465791746048_o.jpg

41738378_342834226289368_1151096018951995392_o.jpg

6. Once it finishes turn off your console, remove the microsd and backup your files. Format your microsd into exFat format using your prefer method and put your backup files back into the new formatted microsd.
7. Put your microsd back into your switch and boot it into your custom firmware using your prefer payload and should be able to boot with no error message about the exFat format.

I have tested it with SXOS, ReiNX and Hekate and has worked.

Follow the guide and you should be able to successfully get your switch to support exFat.

If by any chance you run into that hbmenu can't see the files inside the switch folder, probably is a problem with folder permissions. Make sure that your microsd and all of its content has Read and Write permissions.

Last edited by DarthItachiX,

DarthItachiX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still having problem , cant use my sd 64gb class 10 with FAT32 or exFAT into my switch :( its only working inside HL, any solution for this guys ?
my switch doesnot recognize both formats, if i go thought console info > format i get my sd card formated but it does not fill up the folders Nintendo, save etc... so i loose all my payload stuffs

What payload are you using and CFW ... ReiNX, SXOS, Hekate ... also your Switch should have AutoRCM on ... if the console boots without the CFW payload it will boot into OFW and this may cause you problems even after exFat support is install. It looks that is what causing. My advice is to try again and if doesn't work restore your console to factory mode and do it step by step from the beginning.

Reactions: richexpert

richexpert

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What payload are you using and CFW ... ReiNX, SXOS, Hekate ... also your Switch should have AutoRCM on ... if the console boots without the CFW payload it will boot into OFW and this may cause you problems even after exFat support is install. It looks that is what causing. My advice is to try again and if doesn't work restore your console to factory mode and do it step by step from the beginning.
ReiNX , rajnx , hekate_ctcaer_4.2 , hekate_fspatches_v3 , none of them get this functions working :( i mean exFat and fat32

Alright ill try to restore factory thing , i was out of ideas thx, i'll be back with results

Last edited by richexpert,

DarthItachiX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ReiNX , rajnx , hekate_ctcaer_4.2 , hekate_fspatches_v3 , none of them get this functions working :( i mean exFat and fat32

Alright ill try to restore factory thing , i was out of ideas thx, i'll be back with results

Fat32 should work by default, You are having issues with your microsd ... Use the program Fat32Format to format it to Fat32 and make sure you run the programs as Administrator, also if you get an error while formatting on the Fat32Format tool just format it on windows to NTFS first the use the Fat32Format it should go thru with no errors.

Reactions: richexpert

richexpert

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Thank you very much @DarthItachiX , worked flawless victory ! Fitality :yayswitch: forget about mk joke lol im really happy over here! :switch: :hrth:

Lkhel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello there! I follwed all the tuto but it didn't work for me. When i inject hekate on rcm mode, in hekate menu, i press "Launch" and i have the following message:
"No main configurations found"
What's wrong, any ideas please?

DarthItachiX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello there! I follwed all the tuto but it didn't work for me. When i inject hekate on rcm mode, in hekate menu, i press "Launch" and i have the following message:
"No main configurations found"
What's wrong, any ideas please?

ChoiDujourNX will create a config folder to work with Hekate and if you didn't copy all the files on the sd card that you use with ChoiDujourNX to the new exFat formatted sd card it will give you that error. But if you create a fresh sd card put all the newer files and use the latest payload, it should work ... here is the latest files available .. tumGER/SDFiles

Lkhel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you,
I don't have message "No main configurations found" anymore.
My switch reboot with "hekate custom bootloader" message but when i open the album menu on my switch i don't found the menu "choidujour", just the pictures of my games on my internal memory.
When i go in the switch's menu data management i see my sd card.

DarthItachiX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you,
I don't have message "No main configurations found" anymore.
My switch reboot with "hekate custom bootloader" message but when i open the album menu on my switch i don't found the menu "choidujour", just the pictures of my games on my internal memory.
When i go in the switch's menu data management i see my sd card.

Make sure you have all the files needed in the sd card and that file compression is untick in the switch folder, .. you find that in Properties inside Advanced settings.

Lkhel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Make sure you have all the files needed in the sd card and that file compression is untick in the switch folder, .. you find that in Properties inside Advanced settings.

SHAME ON ME!!!
I didn't put the sd files setup on the root of my sd card...
Thank you very much, it's working like a charm now.

Reactions: DarthItachiX

takeitfish

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hmm not working for me with two different cards - 32GB and a 200GB SDXC. I have a suspicion there's something wrong with 3.0.2 and exFAT, or at least 3.0.2 + exFAT patch + SX OS. I can't think of any other possibility :(

My last resort is just to install a newer firmware with EmuNAND.. but not sure how new I should go.. just straight to 6.x something?

ModFusion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi thank you so much for this tutorial ;)
I applied to 4 differents Switch with 6.1.0 firmware and it works very well.
Well done ;)

DarthItachiX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm not working for me with two different cards - 32GB and a 200GB SDXC. I have a suspicion there's something wrong with 3.0.2 and exFAT, or at least 3.0.2 + exFAT patch + SX OS. I can't think of any other possibility :(

My last resort is just to install a newer firmware with EmuNAND.. but not sure how new I should go.. just straight to 6.x something?

You can try this method to see if it works for you ...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hi thank you so much for this tutorial ;)
I applied to 4 differents Switch with 6.1.0 firmware and it works very well.
Well done ;)

Glad it has worked for you ... :yayswitch:

jeysonaponte

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Help me please. I don't know what i did wrong.

I booted i have all the files in my microsd card. I went to the album folder and did all that is stated above but with SX Pro dongle. Now my Switch doesnt want to turn on :(

ModFusion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Help me please. I don't know what i did wrong.

I booted i have all the files in my microsd card. I went to the album folder and did all that is stated above but with SX Pro dongle. Now my Switch doesnt want to turn on :(
It's not mentionned but your switch is auto RCM because of choidujour and now you have to inject a payload everytime to boot...:/
You have to reinject payload hetake then tools and disable auto RCM then you can boot ofw normally ;)

FreeRice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
"6. Your current firmware version if you don't want to update ... for obvious reasons I can't post a link but google is your friend "

What kind of file am i searching here ? is it a xci game file ? or is it a update file ? (just like a playstation 3 update file, if you know what am i talking about)

DarthItachiX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"6. Your current firmware version if you don't want to update ... for obvious reasons I can't post a link but google is your friend "

What kind of file am i searching here ? is it a xci game file ? or is it a update file ? (just like a playstation 3 update file, if you know what am i talking about)

Just do a search on Google for the Switch firmware you need. There is a couple of videos on youtube that actually link you to the files. Just search for Switch offline update.

FreeRice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just do a search on Google for the Switch firmware you need. There is a couple of videos on youtube that actually link you to the files. Just search for Switch offline update.

I got firmware files, they are all in the form of xxxxxxxxxx.cnmt.nca and xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.nca are these the type of files need to be inside firmware folder ?

DarthItachiX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got firmware files, they are all in the form of xxxxxxxxxx.cnmt.nca and xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.nca are these the type of files need to be inside firmware folder ?

Just put them inside firmware folder or inside a folder called ex.(6.1.0) or whatever you like to call it. Just make sure that all the files are in the same directory. In my case like I show in the tutorial I have a folder call firmware just for the use of ChoidujourNX and there is where I put my update files.

FreeRice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just put them inside firmware folder or inside a folder called ex.(6.1.0) or whatever you like to call it. Just make sure that all the files are in the same directory. In my case like I show in the tutorial I have a folder call firmware just for the use of ChoidujourNX and there is where I put my update files.

Thanks to your tutorial, I finally got it to work. Though i must mention it was incredibly hard to find those firmware files as the links on the youtube videos were dead and Google search not leading to proper source.

Reactions: bomigoton

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself