How to get direct url paths of videos?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by saison, Sep 27, 2011.

Sep 27, 2011
  1. saison
    OP

Member saison GBAtemp Fan

United States
    So, I'm using a program that allows me to watch videos, but in order to watch them, I need the direct link to the file, as in the extensions at the end of a url (http://idk.com/funnyvideo.avi).

The video file isn't what's important, but does anyone know how I would get these, or a site that does actually link to the direct file? An alternative is a way of getting the direct .flv path on YouTube?

I don't need to download, just the link to view the files directly.

Many thank you's in advance!

2. CanadaX21

Newcomer CanadaX21 Advanced Member

United States
    [Removed]

Last edited by CanadaX21, Aug 16, 2016
  3. saison
    OP

United States
    Hmm, I can't seem to find which one would be the direct link. And it would need to end in a video file extension :/

4. The_Dragons_Mast

Member The_Dragons_Mast GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    Easiest way is to get firefox addon Video DownloadHelper , go to the video page , click the arrow next to its icon , chose the quality you want to stream & click copy url .

Just curious but what is the purpose of this when you can just stream it from your browser?

5. saison
    OP

United States
    Well it's on my Wii, soo... This is the only way for me to stream anything to my TV. One computer doesn't have admin to do SMB or anything, the other one has a broken charger port.

I'm about to try the Firefox add-on [​IMG]

EDIT: Okay, that worked like a charm. Thanks [​IMG] Now my only issue left is do you know of any video sharing site that would link to the direct file with the .w/e extension at the end?

I've tried several like YT, Veoh, MegaVideo

6. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    HTTPfox is the new plugin to use since HTTp Headers died. And you often won't get a URL with an extension (depends on the site), because they have their flash file pointing to scripts that serve the video file instead of the video file itself, to prevent leeching.

7. ShinyJellicent12

Member ShinyJellicent12 I summon giant clover-shaped meteors in the sky

United States
    I know this has been solved, but can't you type the extension at the end of the url instead? [​IMG]

8. saison
    OP

United States
    Unfortunately you can't :/ I found one site that has extensions, but I can't find a movie site that does... Lol

9. Rydian

United States
    If you really want, you could program some redirect, so you can input the video URL to your site and it'll spit out a URL to your site that appears to have the video extension, but in reality will just redirect to the video.

Then again the script to give the video might include header data that whatever you view the video with might not like.

10. saison
    OP

United States
    Do you think something like a dl.dropbox link would work to display media, or only a direct download?

11. Rydian

United States
    If the TV is looking for a URL that ends with the right extension, the first hurdle is giving it one that ends with the right extension.