How to get cheats to work with patched games?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by shin kai, Sep 1, 2010.

Sep 1, 2010
  1. shin kai
    OP

Newcomer shin kai Newbie

United States
    I recently patched the Pokemon Platinum rom with the Perfect Platinum patch. I've loaded it on my iEDGE card and it works but it does not recognize cheats (my other games on the same card can be recognized). From what I understand it has to do with the patch changing the .nds file size (it went from 128 MB to 101 MB). If that is the case, is it possible to change the size of the rom back to 128 so that I can get cheats to work? The only reaons I'd want cheats on an already hacked version of Pokemon is so that I can get the natures and IVs I want without use of PokeSav or similar programs. Thanks for any help.

2. basher11

Member basher11 GBAtemp's Official Vocaloid Lover

United States
    its not the size that matters, its the game ID.
    im not sure though, if the cheats will work on a patched/hacked game.

3. SKJmin

Member SKJmin Alpha And Omega

Turkey
    They're working also on hacked games (I know that [​IMG])

@Shin Kai
    Just search for a tool called "r4cce08"
    There can you just click on the rom and apply the patch, very simple!!

4. basher11

Member basher11 GBAtemp's Official Vocaloid Lover

United States
    some hacked games change the addresses so the cheats dont work.

5. Onyxflamegod

Newcomer Onyxflamegod Advanced Member

United States
    Cheating to get what you want out of a game is cheating no matter how you do it. You may as well just use Pokesav, it's cleaner and has less conflicts than cheats tend to sometimes have. Especially if you are playing a romhack in the first place.

But about your program, the problem is likely the Game ID. Use the R4 cheat editor to find the ID of your patched rom, and change the one that has your cheats you are trying to use to the new game's ID.

Also, some codes do work with romhacks, some don't, depends what codes you are using, because if the addresses that the code affects are changed then the code won't work, or won't work correctly.

6. shin kai
    OP

Newcomer shin kai Newbie

United States
    [/quote]

But about your program, the problem is likely the Game ID. Use the R4 cheat editor to find the ID of your patched rom, and change the one that has your cheats you are trying to use to the new game's ID.

[/quote]

Thanks very much everyone for your input. Yes, I certainly understand I'd be cheating anyways and that Pokesav would be a much easier alternative but the reason why I ask anyways about getting cheats to work with a hacked game is because once I get the thought in my head, I simply have to know the answer to whether or not it's possible.

Thanks again everyone.

EDIT: I'm curious. Is it possible to change the hacked game's ID to match that of the original source game? More curiosity.

EDIT 2: Nvm, found my answer else where.