How to Get an Ambassador 3DS (For a bit cheaper than you might think)

I'd been wanting a 3DS for a while and had looked into either buying an XL model or going for an Ambassador with all its 20 free NES/Gameboy Advance games goodness. So as recently as last week I'd come close to going for systems up around the $180-$200 mark depending on their condition and games included.

But then! I thought.. hey.. there's people out there who might not even know they're 3DS is supposed to be an Ambassador. People who are probably selling theyre systems right now. And what better place to look than eBay.

So I set off on a mission to check for listings that had pictures of the systems serial number and used Nintendo's Ambassador status checking tool to see if anything below $180 was good

Much to my surprise I got a lot of Ambassadors around the $130-$150 mark. So I ended up picking up a mint condition Cosmo Black 3DS with a copy of Pokemon Black and all the Box/Paperwork intact for $145. A good $40 saved. $40 that'll go towards a Supercard DSTWO anyway haha. ;)

One thing to note though: When I got the 3DS, the Ambassador game downloads and Ambassador Certificate did not show up in the eShop. A quick call to Nintendo explaining that I owned an Ambassador with no games showing that had not been connected to the eShop before 2012 quickly solved the problem. The games showed up in less than 6 hours.

3DS Ambassador Checker: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/3ds/en_na/3dsambassador.jsp

placebooooo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im looking to purchase a 3ds off ebay. But im clicking the link you provided in the first post but i dont know what to do in order to check my serial number for the ds. There is know where to input my serial. How can i check if its an ambassador?
thanks!

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Im looking to purchase a 3ds off ebay. But im clicking the link you provided in the first post but i dont know what to do in order to check my serial number for the ds. There is know where to input my serial. How can i check if its an ambassador?
thanks!
Looks like Nintendo removed the serial number lookup for north america. You can still use the one for latin america here:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sy...ssador.jsp?menu=how&submenu=ctr-ht-amb-lookup

I just checked my serial for my old 3DS and it passed the test OK. But the thing is, if they removed the page for Canada and USA, that probably means they won't give ambassador status to any late comers from there, regardless of the excuses you may come up with. My old 3DS could get ambassador status but I never bothered to apply for the program. And I won't now, either, since it's still on 4.2 firmware, and all set to wait for its Gateway card. :yaynds:

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The ambassador program was intended for people that over paid for a brand new 3DS, not for people that bought a second hand console from craigs list or something like that. I thought there was a set time period that you had to register to get into the ambassador program, and after that date passes then tough crap if you didn't register.

OldClassicGamer

Serbian Prinny
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Well, seems like the people can still get in if they contact Nintendo and tell them serial number of 3DS. As for my 3DS, I paid FULL price in the first month of release of 3DS so I definitely DO deserve the Ambassador games.
I will ask again for help, does anyone know phone number of Nintendo Europe?

cozmosauce

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

OldClassicGamer

Serbian Prinny
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I called Nintendo UK because I wanted to talk on English and I asked them can they do it and they said they cannot because Ambassador program ended in 2012. This is completely unfair. Is there any chance Nintendo of America can help me?

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I called Nintendo UK because I wanted to talk on English and I asked them can they do it and they said they cannot because Ambassador program ended in 2012. This is completely unfair. Is there any chance Nintendo of America can help me?

you did get lucky, if i tried to call them they would send me for the local nintendo costumer service.... then i tried to call my own country nintendo costumer service, and the people there don't even talk my language. (its nintendo iberica, so its spanish..)

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

how is that unfair? you had your chance for years...

OldClassicGamer

Serbian Prinny
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
how is that unfair? you had your chance for years...
The games never showed in my downloads list and I did not know it was possible to call Nintendo and request games from them back in 2012.

EDIT: I contacted Nintendo Russia on email and they asked me for 3DS Proof of Purchase. I sent it to them and hopefully they will help me

calebsw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if I find a 3ds with ambassador status, I can do a system transfer and have those games added to an N3ds? I've already created an NNID on the N3ds, is that a problem? I don't have any purchases or saved games tied to that account yet. Can I format the N3ds to remove the NNID, transfer the games from the ambassador 3ds, then log in with my nnid and add those games to my account? Or should I transfer the ambassador games and then create a new nnid?

CZroe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because it is possible to do a System Transfer to move them to another 3DS, it's possible that the previous owner transferred to an XL, 2DS, new 3DS, or new 3DS XL if your Ambassador Ticket does not show. It's very possible that it's why an Ambassador Ticket machine would end up on the used market in the first place (mostly enthusiasts bought the 3DS for full price at launch and they would know about it).

I got lucky and bought mine for full price less than 30 days before the price drop so I was able to claim my Ambassador Ticket and still get a 30-day price-match with an extra 10% of the difference refunded. Yep: I paid EVEN less and still got Ambassador status. ;)

CZroe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know what the Siras phone number retailers use for checking the purchase date? It may not be in service anymore since most retailers check electronically. I recall that it was extremely similar to Nintendo's 1-800-255-3700 number and even had the same voice as their number when I called it years ago. I can't find it anywhere now.

For those who don't know:
The Siras system is the purchase date and warranty tracking system that Nintendo set up for the entire industry to use (yes: even their competitors). When you buy a Playstation and they scan the serial number through the window on the package, they are using Siras. They finally sold off the company last year.

Gettwobirdsstone

Triforce Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Because it is possible to do a System Transfer to move them to another 3DS, it's possible that the previous owner transferred to an XL, 2DS, new 3DS, or new 3DS XL if your Ambassador Ticket does not show. It's very possible that it's why an Ambassador Ticket machine would end up on the used market in the first place (mostly enthusiasts bought the 3DS for full price at launch and they would know about it).

I got lucky and bought mine for full price less than 30 days before the price drop so I was able to claim my Ambassador Ticket and still get a 30-day price-match with an extra 10% of the difference refunded. Yep: I paid EVEN less and still got Ambassador status. ;)
Nintendo sent me an Ambassador 3DS by accident when I got them to fix my hinge. Seems refurished O3DS' still possess their Ambass' tickets.

CZroe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like Nintendo removed the serial number lookup for north america. You can still use the one for latin america here:
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sy...ssador.jsp?menu=how&submenu=ctr-ht-amb-lookup
Just thought I'd point out that this still works for checking Ambassador status. I checked my US-purchased Ambassador 3DS and confirmed Ambassador status. I checked another random serial from a flea market and it said that the status was "Undetermined."

Nintendo sent me an Ambassador 3DS by accident when I got them to fix my hinge. Seems refurished O3DS' still possess their Ambass' tickets.
I'm still worried that mine will break. :( I've babied it and barely played it and yet the D-pad paint is coming off and a bump next to one of the wrist strap holes is missing. I bought a whole other 3DS to use as parts.

Zhull

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Mine was Ambassador, but by mistake I deleted the NNID...now I can't redownload the ambassador games...is there any way to get that games back?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Mine was Ambassador, but by mistake I deleted the NNID...now I can't redownload the ambassador games...is there any way to get that games back?
When you delete the NNID, all the games associated with it are lost. Maybe Nintendo's customer support could help you, but it's generally irreversible.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
I have an O3DS Ambassador 3DS, transffered the system to my N3DS

I tried to get the ambassador games back on the O3DS with calling Nintendo (Europe) and giving them the serial and another Nintendo account i had, the reply i got was something like:
To late, and i didn't register the O3DS in time, there was a date setup you had to register the O3DS to get the Ambasssador games, after that you where out of luck and they could tell the system was transffered and i wasn't the first owner
(was some time ago, was trying to get the amabasador games legit on all my 3ds systems :D )

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM