How to format the R4DS on a Mac

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by ctcicp261, Aug 17, 2007.

Aug 17, 2007
  1. ctcicp261
    OP

Newcomer ctcicp261 Newbie

United States
    When I ordered the R4DS a few months ago, I was very confused with how to operate it and set it up. I have read many forum posts all over the internet that have guides on how to set up the R4, but none of them worked for me, because I was setting it up on a Macintosh computer. I have finally found out the problem and how to fix it, and I will now show all of the mac users scratching their heads about this issue how to solve this problem:

Problem:
    Since the R4DS was originally made to be formatted on a pc, all of the files that are used to run the R4 are written with FAT files which are native to the Windows operating system. When you first put your Micro SD card into your mac, it was formatted to read Mac only files and documents, so when the R4 operating system is loaded onto it, the FAT files do not correctly read on the Mac formatted SD card.

Solution:
    Although it seems very simple, this solution works very well.
    YOU MUST EDIT THE FILE NAMES BEFORE PUTTING THEM ONTO YOUR SD CARD OR THEY WILL NOT WORK, DO NOT EDIT THEM IF THEY HAVE ALREADY BEEN LOADED ONTO THE SD CARD!!!!

1.) You need to have the "English-1.11.rar" (the R4 v1.11 kernel) download from the R4DS website, heres the link: r4ds.com/soft/17-en.htm

2.) Open the "English- 1.11" folder after extracting the .rar file. There should be four items inside: _ds_menu.dat, _ds_mshl.nds, _system_, and moonshl.

3.) Hit Caps Lock and put the four items in all CAPITAL LETTERS: _DS_MENU.DAT, _DS_MSHL.NDS, _SYSTEM_, and MOONSHL.

4.) After putting the four items in all caps, go into the _SYSTEM_ folder. There are four items inside of this folder: cheat.dat, ebook, gbaframe.bmp, and themes. Once again put all of these items in all CAPS: CHEAT.DAT, EBOOK, GBAFRAME.BMP, and THEMES.

5.) After putting those four items into caps, go into the "THEMES" folder. You guessed it, rename all of the folders from theme01-theme12 to THEME01-THEME12.

6.) Finally: although this has already become very tedious, you WILL have to go into each individual theme (THEME01-THEME12) folder, where you will find five items: bckgrd_1.bmp, bckgrd_2.bmp, icons.bmp, logo.bmp, and theme.ini, and capitalize all letters of each file: BCKGRD_1.BMP, BCKGRD_2.BMP, ICONS.BMP, LOGO.BMP, and THEME.INI.

You CANNOT leave any file that I have listed uncapitalized or there will be a part of your R4DS not working.

Moonshell should now boot when you choose "Multimedia" on the main screen, ebook files will now appear, and best of all, pressing select will now change the theme on your DS. Just remember that each theme you download must be edited so that all files names are in capital letters.

The only problem left with the system is that when you launch Moonshell, on the bottom of the screen when the Moonshell desktop is loading, it is displayed that the /moonshl directory cannot be found. This to my knowledge does not effect anything, and I have already tried putting all files inside the MOONSHL folder into caps (except for the .txt files becuase some of them have both capital letters and lowercase letters in the file names, which if changed would mess up the system), and this did not change anything. Someone else can solve that problem

Hope this guide helps all mac users of the R4DS!!

2. JacobReaper

Member JacobReaper I Love You....

United States
    that was kinda useful.. my friend has a mac and didnt know what to do [​IMG]

3. XeroRestraint

Member XeroRestraint GBAtemp Regular

United States
    That's an interesting workaround you've found there! Forgive me if I offer a much simpler and preferable solution for Mac users:

1) After connecting your microSD+card reader to your Mac for the first time start the application - Disk Utility.
    2) Select the microSD card from the list of mounted volumes on the left (select the device, not the partition)
    3) Select the Erase tab and select MS-DOS File System from the Volume Format: drop-down list
    4) Click the erase format to reformat as FAT

That's all folks.

4. clockworkvictim

Member clockworkvictim GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Thanks for the info guys!

5. scutato

Newcomer scutato Newbie

United States
    Ah man you saved me. I've been working on this for hours. I'm actually using Linux, but Mac is based on UNIX so it appears the symptoms carried over. Thank you [​IMG]

6. retman

Banned retman Banned

United Kingdom
    You cant format a R4.

7. Retal

Member Retal GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    QFT.

And not only that, but this entire thread is confused beyond all notions of comprehension. There is no such thing as a "FAT file". No file's data is bound to any one file system. So thanks for creating an account to sound off about all this smart stuff that you just made up, but unfortunately I think that your fraudulence has just been exposed.

8. retman

Banned retman Banned

United Kingdom
    Huh?! sorry i don't understand what that means.

9. outphase

Member outphase Custom title

United States
    Quoted For Truth.

10. retman

Banned retman Banned

United Kingdom
    Ah right. ¬_¬

11. superrob

Member superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Denmark
    You can only format your MicroSD card.

12. Switchy

Member Switchy GBAtemp Fan

Belgium
    Are there any people here who have had games hanging?
    My games are hanging and I just want to rule out that the problem comes from formatting as MS-DOS File System on my Mac.

13. kookie_k

Newcomer kookie_k Newbie

Canada
    I am having a problem on 2.) Open the "English- 1.11" folder after extracting the .rar file.

I downloaded the .rar file but I am unable to open it. Please help.

I have also followed the advise and did this:
    1) After connecting your microSD+card reader to your Mac for the first time start the application - Disk Utility.
    2) Select the microSD card from the list of mounted volumes on the left (select the device, not the partition)
    3) Select the Erase tab and select MS-DOS File System from the Volume Format: drop-down list
    4) Click the erase format to reformat as FAT

I still cannot open the .rar file.

14. Kosmo

Member Kosmo GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Very infomative. Thanks OP!