How to format Micro SD cards that are higher than 32GB to FAT32

Exotical

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Title says everything, I'm getting a New 3ds LL from japan in a few weeks, and am wondering if you could get a 64GB micro SDHC card to be fat32?

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
For sure. Use guiformat / fat32formatter. For Cards under 64 gb use 32 kb sector size and above 64 gb use 65 kb sectorsize.

Reactions: impeeza

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia

HalfScoper

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
sd card formatter will format your card to ExFAT, try to use FAT32, FAT32GUI or FAT32GUI x64:
As I said it was the only program that whysoever did the trick for me.
Since I also for example own a Switch, of course I would usually format to FAT32 and have my programs for it, but the SD card never got detected by the 2DS (and yes I made sure it was inserted correctly, I am also sure it's not corrupted etc etc).

Maybe it was a bad advise, I just wanted to give an input based on my experience. And yes, the program you linked was also on the list of what I tried beforehand. Cheers.

mitrium

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used Rufus to format, have a 128GB formatted FAT32 with 32k cluster size! No issues at all, it also doesn't feel as slow as some people reported.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
You know, isn't not a bad advice at all, sometimes if a sd card have strange partitions or format, the SD Formatter tool could be the only way to give life back. but after the revival using the SD Formatter tool you could think about using Fat32 formatter to convert the new ExFAT to a FAT32 :D

Reactions: HalfScoper

mitrium

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, isn't not a bad advice at all, sometimes if a sd card have strange partitions or format, the SD Formatter tool could be the only way to give life back. but after the revival using the SD Formatter tool you could think about using Fat32 formatter to convert the new ExFAT to a FAT32 :D
Good point, check on Disk Management (if you Windows) that you dont have any other partition created in that SD card, and if so; delete everything (after backing up if necessary). make sure it says "Unallocated Space" and then use Rufus.
Hope it works, also make sure you can see and copy hidden folders.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I used Rufus to format, have a 128GB formatted FAT32 with 32k cluster size! No issues at all, it also doesn't feel as slow as some people reported.
rufus and MiniTool Partition Wizard are powerful tools and let you create big partitions on FAT32 but are advanced for most of the people, I personally love that tools.

about the "slowness" of 32K clusters, that was a very old issue on atmosphere and hekate but has been solved some time now.

Reactions: mitrium

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lDRjqI-fBVI&pp=ygUPVml0Z2luIG1hZ2ljaWFu