How to force RROD?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by hom3land, Nov 28, 2008.

Nov 28, 2008

How to force RROD? by hom3land at 5:14 PM (2,480 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. hom3land
    OP

Newcomer hom3land Member

United States
    I'm trying to get a RROD since my video is going to the crapper (getting blue and green tints) Suprisingly there isn't much info on this by googling. The most I've read is overheat/freeze and repeat hasn't worked for me yet. Just curious if anyone knows a better method.

Yes I know I can just tell ms im getting RROD, but was hoping to at least see RROD at least once before I called.

thanks in advance.

2. cardyology

Member cardyology GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    WHy do you need to force RROD? Video issues (blue/green tints) will be covered under warranty too.

force RROD by throwing it down the stairs a bunch of times maybe?

3. Gerinych

Member Gerinych GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Check your component cable. If you're getting blue/green tint, there is not enough red.

4. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Don't just give up on the issue. Like Gerinych said check your cables.

5. Tomobobo

Member Tomobobo Champion.

United States
    I used to give mine the DK smash, where I set it upright and do DK's forward-a and give it a good slap. That would revive it from RROD, but who knows, maybe you'll give it one.

6. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    while it's off, stick a Q-Tip into the fan ports to block them from turning... then leave it on, or play some graphic intense games to force it to overheat... when it turns off, just turn it back on...

You can also cover it with thick heavy blankets to keep the heat in... that should pretty much fry the board, and give you the RROD.

Just make sure you pull the Q-Tips out before you send it back!

7. Spikey

Member Spikey Your Special Someone

United States
    I had this same issue with my 360 elite. First the tint came while using HDMI and watching a DVD. Then when I turned it off and back on, no video would return to the screen at all with hdmi any longer. Tried a few hdmi cables with the same result, no picture. Popped in some component cables and video went to the screen, but with that color tinting again. I called up Microsoft, and they replaced it, no issues. I didn't have a receipt or anything. So I don't think you'll need to force RROD unless Microsoft refuse to replace it.

8. hom3land
    OP

Newcomer hom3land Member

United States
    its out of the 1 year warranty.. actually just a few months left on the 3 year rrod extended program. Its not the cables, The first problem i had was my hdtv was not receiving any signals from the 360. It would turn on but not transmit to the tv (no sound either) I tried resetting the video setting (hold down y + right trigger when it boots up) and it did nothing. I connected my 360 with regular AV cables to old tv and same thing. I than overheated it (wrapped it in a blanket) and after it 2 red ringed I restarted it and it worked, though a few minutes later the video became green.. So now it works but the video is all set.. I'm really in no rush to break it as I bought another 360 for the cheap. Just hoping to get the old one replaced to throw in the bedroom!

Will try putting a q-tip in the fan! good idea!

edit: maybe i'm totally wrong but I thought the full warranty is only 1 year .. and than another 2 year warranty for only RROD. Hence me wanting RROD.

9. Spikey

Member Spikey Your Special Someone

United States
    My 360 was out of it's 1 year warranty, and yet even still Microsoft took care of it, no problems. Just contact them and see what they say, seriously.

10. hom3land
    OP

Newcomer hom3land Member

United States

Well I took your advice.... and they wanted to charge me $99 to get it fixed [​IMG] .. Obviously I'm not going down that route! Thanks for the suggestion though.

11. cardyology

Member cardyology GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Holding the fans will more than likely cause TWO red rings of death, not 3.

two rings = hardware overheating
    three rings = serious hardware fault/error.

12. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    Just lie and say you got the 3RROD, MS get tons of 360's to fix, I doubt they check each one individually to make sure the person isnt lying. Even if they do just say when you sent it, it had RROD! Easy!! [​IMG]