How to flash hardware

Discussion in 'EZ-Flash' started by -KangaRod-, Aug 10, 2006.

Aug 10, 2006

How to flash hardware by -KangaRod- at 8:33 AM (846 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. -KangaRod-
    OP

Member -KangaRod- GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Hey guys,
    I've got a DS Lite which I had flashed to run my EZ Flash 4. We had to take the battery out and jump something with a paperclip so we could reflash the bios into running DS roms from the GBA slot.
    I think this is what you use the EZPass for, but I am not 100%. With the EZPass does it have to stay in the NDS all the time; or is that what I would use it for?

The reason I am asking is because I now am in Japan and want to order some Ezflash's for my buddies here, but don't know how to flash there DS's so that they will run properly.

Can someone point me in the direction of a How to Flash your DS for dummies kind of thing? THanks in advance.

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    First up Flashme modifies the firmware not the bios.
    As Flashme is DS code you need some way of running DS code to begin with, this usually takes the form of a passme/nopass device. Once flashme is done you can sell your pass device or stick it in a draw as you will likely not need it again (unless of course you wish to run flashme on your friends devices).

What flashme does is allows DS code to be booted from the GBA slot.
    This code is automatically booted if it should find PASS or DSBoot in the header of the code it first finds in the GBA slot.
    To stop it booting this way (I.E to run the GBA loader in the case of your EZ4 or to boot an actual DS cartridge) you hold select when you turn the power on. You now appear at the DS menu where you can select your game.
    Conversely should your code not have PASS or DSBoot in the header (very rare) then you can hold the a,b,x and y buttons to force booting from the GBA slot.

Flash also removes the need for the wifi packets to be signed.
    Not much use to a fair few people but it is very useful for developers.

It also can remove the Heath and Safety screen (the default version does, the "stealth" version does not, otherwise they are functionally identical).

On some early DS' it can fade the backlight on by rapidly switching on and off the power to the light.

On some of the newer big DS' it can also add variable brightness levels should they have the chip, if it can be done it will.

As for a guide to Flashme Opium wrote a stunning one: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=33481
    There is also some more on the EZFlash wiki linked in my signature, that deals with EZFlash based issues some more although it is getting a bit outdated right now.

When doing it on an EZ4 copy the flashme.nds file to the memory card (via windows not the client) and rename to flashme.nds to flashme.bin, then execute this from the DS loader.

A few things to watch, make sure you get the very newest version of flashme for lites unless you want to lose the ability to change brightness levels (rather confusingly the version that supports light levels being changed has the same version name as the one that does not as it did not recieve a version bump for some reason, Opiums guide has it).
    Make sure you insulate your shorting tool, others will say this but it is very important you do.

3. yee

Member yee DOTA 4EVER

Canada
    How do i know if my DS is the early one that will mess up its blacklight?

Before flashed, it was a V1 according to the Wikipedia DS Firmware article.

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Flashme history lesson:
    Flashme was in closed beta and then was released, everyone was overjoyed. Bugs got worked out and functionality got upped through the versions leaving us with V7.
    Along comes the DS lite, having run flashme on one people notice the inability to change brightness levels.
    A beta gets released, the people have brightness levels once again. There was much dancing and grog consumed.

The beta becomes final and gets bundled with flashme, this is rather confusingly also called Flashme V7. This version is bigger than the original and has some detection code built in.

So using the lite supporting version of flashme some people with original model DS' notice that they can have brightness levels too although this is limited to a few with later versions of the lite DS'.

In short stay away from the beta and it should all be good.

5. -KangaRod-
    OP

Member -KangaRod- GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    is there a place that you guys would recommend ordered from. PLease keep in mind I am currently in Japan.