How to flash a single ROM to R4?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by EdensElite, Apr 29, 2014.

1. EdensElite
    OP

EdensElite Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2014
    Wales, United Kingdom
    Hello, firstly yes. Although I'm new to the site, I am not new to the scene, I am aware of how a R4 basically runs, what I would like to do is to be able to somehow flash one with a single ROM so say it was for arguments sake, Mario Kart, the Mario Kart message would appear on the DS menu and it would boot straight into Mario Kart.

I would prefer to be able to do this on a cartridge with SD capabilites (so if there if there is an old flashcard I'm not aware of that would be great.) If not though, I would like to be able to do it on an R4.

Can anybody help or provide any information?

2. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    AFAIK that's not even possible, I think you referred to the card auto booting to the game you wanted, AFAIK Supercard DSTWO allows for auto booting games.

3. B4rtj4h

B4rtj4h Gaming addict #2 and some

Apr 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    Bikini Bottom
    I am very interested in this as well... Just 1 game on 1 R4/ Acekard etc...

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    If you were really invested you might be able to do it for a DS or DS lite (have icons and banner text appear). Owing to extra security DSi and 3ds would need you to probably make new hardware and would be fairly pointless (or at least no good reasons), more so than having an icon/banner appear.

Autoboot is an option of certain carts. Several people did it for their kids/more technophobic associates, though several other loaders have "kid mode" type things that disable deleting and other such things.

5. Schizoanalysis

Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Jun 23, 2009
    My R4 and M3 Real autoboots on my DS Lite; however, obviously enough, to the R4 or Sakura GUI.

Surely it would be less effort just to buy Mario Kart, as I imagine it would be quite cheap now. Then it would do just what you want it to do.

6. EdensElite
    OP

EdensElite Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2014
    Wales, United Kingdom
    Aha, well you see it's for a little project I'm working on, it wouldn't be Mario Kart. I'll look into the autoboot thing thanks, does anyone know any way to flash a regular DS cartridge? I suppose I could just put the R4 in a regular shell but would the autoboot show the banner and name in the menu? And yes, it's more for the DS and Lite not the 3DS and DSi

7. Vague Rant

Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    It basically sounds like you're asking for advice on how to produce bootlegs. In that case, you'd be better off with single-burn ROMs than a rewritable flash card.

8. EdensElite
    OP

EdensElite Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2014
    Wales, United Kingdom
    I suppose I am asking for how to produce a bootleg, but in reality I'm just trying to create a cartridge of a ROM hack for personnel use. Can you tell me more about this single burn ROM?

9. YoshiInAVoid

YoshiInAVoid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Banned
    Jan 10, 2011
    You can DLDI patch and encrypt a homebrew with r4denc to make it the firmware of the Micro SD card.

From there you can make a homebrew which boots "Mario Kart.nds" based on open source flashcard firmwares.

10. EdensElite
    OP

EdensElite Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2014
    Wales, United Kingdom

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into it! How would I go about that 2nd bit?

11. YoshiInAVoid

YoshiInAVoid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Banned
    Jan 10, 2011
  12. EdensElite
    OP

EdensElite Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2014
    Wales, United Kingdom