how to fix Wii U HDD not detected after changing enclosure

Nimrod-002

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
my hdd enclosure broke so i got a new one, but the Wii u doesnt detect the hdd now or even ask me to format it, would replacing the first 64 bit of the hdd with 64 bit from an hdd formatted with the new enclosure make it detectable again

u.jpg

EDIT: just tried replacing the Sector 0 with one from an hdd formatted on the same enclosure, didn't work. maybe one sector isnt enough.

Last edited by Nimrod-002,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that might work, but that's a big might. what's odd is that it doesn't ask you to format if it detects the hdd as something new. I know that ps3 hdds that have been initialized--the way to fix them is by cloning the disk, then injecting a new sector 0.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the otp will not change, but the seeprom can. you could try seeing if you can access the content on pc with dumper U. it requires both otp and seeprom. I don't know how to change the seeprom on the system or if it's even possible, but it increases by 1 (iirc, it's offset 0x0bf) every time you at least format. I think there's something wrong with your enclosure though or maybe you need a y cable or something.

Nimrod-002

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
the otp will not change, but the seeprom can. you could try seeing if you can access the content on pc with dumper U. it requires both otp and seeprom. I don't know how to change the seeprom on the system or if it's even possible, but it increases by 1 (iirc, it's offset 0x0bf) every time you at least format. I think there's something wrong with your enclosure though or maybe you need a y cable or something.
i can access and have extracted data with Dumper U so the new enclosure works, along with seeprom

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe it's going to sleep on the system. access the sleep mode setting in system settings. I forgot the button, but you do it in storage management, I believe.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its encrypted with the same OTP and seeprom, so what else could be the difference?

I mean just changing the HDD enclosure won't cause it to not be unreadable, since you didn't mess with the data. I put sata drive into another enclosure it will still work as it intended.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my hdd enclosure broke so i got a new one, but the Wii u doesnt detect the hdd now or even ask me to format it, would replacing the first 64 bit of the hdd with 64 bit from an hdd formatted with the new enclosure make it detectable again

View attachment 328241
If the system does not even recognize the drive now. You may want to check to see if the drive is property starting up on system boot.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
did you put sata drive into another enclosure?

Sounds like you mess up the data instead since sata enclosure contain not block data, sounds like something else is wrong with your drive, If I take a sata drive from one enclosure and put it into another enclosure it will still read fine, the enclosure doesn't cause the first 64 bit of data to go bad. What you can do is create another wii u drive, and take that first 64 bit and put it back on your non working drive.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I mean just changing the HDD enclosure won't cause it to not be unreadable, since you didn't mess with the data. [...]
This assumption is not universal. You could check more information about the hard drive cloning of Namco System ES1 Arcades.

@Nimrod-002 , does the new enclosure provide enough energy for the drive to work properly on the Wii U?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you keep saying IF but did you actually try it?

Because changing HDD enclosure wouldn't cause problem or else everyone would have a problem when they put a HDD into a different enclosure, base what you shown it obviously you messed up sector 0 of the drive, that why the drive isn't working, beside I already told you how to fix it, take another drive, format the wii u format and take the first 64 sector and put it on the old drive.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
take it from me, it's very rare that something is not fixable with these systems, even without having to open up the thing. I've made many mistakes trying different things on all these systems, but I've always taken precautions just in case something goes horribly wrong. it's a learning experience, which is what I'm after.

mrmagicm

Trophies
XP
Country
France
BEST WAY: Buy again the same enclosure you had before.
I have a lot of enclosure, all I can say, some enclosure work but don't work with certain HDS, This might be because some HDD drive have old firmware, so a possibility would be upgrading the firmware of your HDD and putting back in the new enclosure.
If still not detected, buy the same enclosure you had before.

Nimrod-002

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
well, if it didn't, it should've at least asked you to format it. I don't think the hdd is in the enclosure correctly or the enclosure doesn't work/incompatible or the hdd is going to sleep.
ii tried other hdd with the same enclosure, it works
found sleep setting, disabled it, same thing

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."