How to fix white screen border? See attatched photo

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by nxwing, Dec 6, 2014.

1. nxwing
    OP

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

I found my old GBA SP and I am happy to know it still works. I noticed that it has this white screen border
    [​IMG]
    Is there any way to fix it?

2. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Does that happen with other games or just that?

3. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Is it an original front lit SP, or a later back lit SP?

If you don't know, push the light button, if the light turns off completely it's front lit. If it just changes between two lighting levels it's back lit.

4. nxwing
    OP

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    Other games too, the problwm is in the screen I believe

It's back lit.

5. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    If you see lines on the screen of your Game Boy Advance SP during game play, then it is likely one or more of the components that create the image on the screen are damaged. This can occur if there has been an impact to the Game Boy Advance SP's screen, such as being dropped or hit. If your screen is displaying these lines through the game image, you will need to have the unit repaired. From an old Nintendo article

nxwing likes this.
  6. tvoretz

tvoretz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2011
    United States
    Reminds me of an experience I had repairing a DS. You might try adjusting the voltage sent to the screen; there's a small nob beneath the battery that controls this. Twist it a (little) bit and check the screen. If it's improved, twist a bit more. If it's worse, twist in the other direction. Keep that up until the screen looks normal and there is no flicker (look carefully).

(Generally, you shouldn't touch that nob, but since the screen is already messed up...)

7. hagric

hagric Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 4, 2016
    Anyone know how to fix it please?

8. nxwing
    OP

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    It's called screen bleeding I think. I never got around to fixing it. I've read guides saying that you need to open the screen itself and apply electric tape over the areas with the white border.