Tutorial  Updated

How to fix Online game services on <=10.7 emuNAND

This is mainly for N3DS rxTools users and frequent 9.0-9.2 sysNAND users.

So recently Nintendo decided to pull a maintenance run that effectively stops you from playing online game services like Pokemon ORASXY, Smash and a few others unless you update your system. This tutorial will help you bypass the check and get your online services back, however it will require that you have:
  • A 3DS system with 9.0-9.2 & CFW installed. (Preferably unlinked NANDs.)
    • Alternatively you can use this on 9.3-10.7 & a hax entrypoint using the NASA CIA installer. *WARNING! This method of installation will no longer work on 11.0 and above until a Kernel exploit is found for those updates*
  • A CIA installer (FBI, BBM, ect.)
  • 3DSNUS (Which will be linked here.)
Now, onto the steps:
  1. Optional but recommended: Before any of this you should always back up your NAND. It stands to reason that at some point during exploiting your console that you will have backed it up, but it's best to do so again now so you can restore quickly if something goes awry.
  2. Open up 3DSNUS and input the friends system-module Title ID and Version which is the only one you'll need. (Of which you can find the required one for O3DS here and N3DS here. Select the first link in the "Report" box of your region e.g "E" is USA. "P" is EUR.) Make sure you remove the "v" from the version number and "Pack as .CIA" is checked, then download the file.
  3. Now, take the downloaded .cia from the root of your 3DSNUS folder and drop it into where you keep your .CIAs on your SD card. Or if you're lazy you can just throw it into the root of the SD card, but better neat than messy with these things. :P
  4. Pop your SD card into your 3DS system and boot up your CFW by the method of your choice. Go into the .cia installer of your choosing and locate the .cia. Depending on what installer you use, you'll have to choose the equivalent of system or NAND to install the .cia if it doesn't automatically, as SD Card won't work. For FBI, make sure it's set to NAND for install.
  5. Once that's done, exit out of the .cia installer, reset your 3DS, open up the CFW again and hop into the affected game. Try out the online services and it should work. Congratulations!
  6. Optional: Should your game still not work correctly even after this, it most likely requires the latest NVER (named New3DS NVER in the N3DS) to function. Repeat steps 2-4 but instead download the latest NVER (which can be found in their respective console versions for the above linked system update in step 2.) *If you can't find NVER in the latest firmware list then use this list and check each update before it until you find NVER*
You can do this as well in sysNAND but please be careful as making franken-firmwares on sysNAND could lead to problems down the line (unless you have a NAND hardmod,) and make sure you've got a backup of your NAND before doing this. At any rate I'm fairly confident this will not brick your system, however I am not responsible if it does brick.

Thanks for this tutorial and it's information go to:
  • @Sgt. Lulz for pointing this out.
  • @Sheimi for testing this and confirming it alongside my own results.
  • @Pixel Eater for providing a link to N3DS 10.5 files for N3DS users.
  • @Domukuro Wolfield for reporting that the 10.5 friend system module has been patched.
  • @cvskid for keeping me up to date on the latest firmware since 11.1.

Last edited by Pandaxclone2,

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks a lot!!!
I've been trying to get rxTools to launch normally, but sadly no progress... when it boots, it loads all 3DS default icons normally (camera, music, etc) but won't launch any of them, and all .cia titles won't get even their icons loaded, thus, I'm unable to launch FBI or even to launch any of my games, if I can't find myself able to correct this I might just format everything and begin anew the process of installing the rxTools and stuff, only sad thing is losing saves like Monster Hunter X, over 800 hours, Project X Zone 2 already on my 2nd run and Inazuma Eleven GO CS Wildfire with my dream teams... but well.... if nothing works, better to lose everything and keep on playing than having my 3DS standing still...

Still seems to work on my end. The only thing I can possibly think of that would've subjected your sysNAND into this state is deleting a system cia. Are you able to still open up the home menu on just boot alone?

Kisaragi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you say you can't get rxTools to boot, do you mean you get to the rxTools screen and then try to boot but it fails or that as soon as you boot the system it doesn't even load the home menu properly?

I start my 3DS holding the L button, it goes fine to the counter, 3 seconds after, it boots on rxTools on itself, I see the rxTools splash icon real fast and it starts the Home Menu, however, like you said, it's as if the home menu isn't loading properly, for when it loads, the upper screen only has the "L+R" camera icon (so the upper screen doesn't even show the clock, connection info, play coins, etc), and the lower screen won't load any options for any software, like Manual, Open/Start, anything! It also won't run anything by pressing A button, like, if I go to the camera and press A, it won't start the camera, this applies to everything on rxTools at the moment. It also won't load even the icons of the .cias, showing them as white tiles (as if the icons were still loading), but that's it, it stucks there!!

- Also, I did delete stuff recently, but it was just one game and I did the same way I always did, so for it to run such an error this time would be real weird! And yes, if I boot on sysNAND I can start it up just fine, and everything works just fine as well, it only happens for emuNAND, when it arrives at Home Menu!

Last edited by Kisaragi,

Pandaxclone2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I start my 3DS holding the L button, it goes fine to the counter, 3 seconds after, it boots on rxTools on itself, I see the rxTools splash icon real fast and it starts the Home Menu, however, like you said, it's as if the home menu isn't loading properly, for when it loads, the upper screen only has the "L+R" camera icon (so the upper screen doesn't even show the clock, connection info, play coins, etc), and the lower screen won't load any options for any software, like Manual, Open/Start, anything! It also won't run anything by pressing A button, like, if I go to the camera and press A, it won't start the camera, this applies to everything on rxTools at the moment. It also won't load even the icons of the .cias, showing them as white tiles (as if the icons were still loading), but that's it, it stucks there!!

- Also, I did delete stuff recently, but it was just one game and I did the same way I always did, so for it to run such an error this time would be real weird! And yes, if I boot on sysNAND I can start it up just fine, and everything works just fine as well, it only happens for emuNAND, when it arrives at Home Menu!

Well for your sake I can only hope you have a backup NAND of emuNAND. As it stands I believe that would be the only fix at this point save getting rid of the emuNAND entirely and starting from scratch. At the very least if you do have a backup then whatever game saves you have stored on your SD card should still work.

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Any updateson this to get it working to play online on 11.0 still since 11.1 is out now?
Another thing you can do, is use ctr-httpwn, it redirects all of the version-check calls to always return that 3DS is on newest firmware, that way you can even access stuff like buying/activating themes in Theme shop.

Pandaxclone2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Another thing you can do, is use ctr-httpwn, it redirects all of the version-check calls to always return that 3DS is on newest firmware, that way you can even access stuff like buying/activating themes in Theme shop.

True, but afaik this is only for as long as the system is in the homebrew launcher (or if it's an app that can be paused, then until the system is turned off.) This is a more permanent solution until the next update rolls around.

And just a heads up, I've updated the OP with the relevant information.

Reactions: cvskid

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
True, but afaik this is only for as long as the system is in the homebrew launcher (or if it's an app that can be paused, then until the system is turned off.) This is a more permanent solution until the next update rolls around.

And just a heads up, I've updated the OP with the relevant information.
It stays in memory until a firmlaunch happens, which means that on N3DS it's permanent until a console is rebooted (as you can exit Homebrew Launcher without restarting, by pressing Start then X), while on O3DS there are 3 games that would invalidate it: Monster Hunter 4 U, Monster Hunter Generations and Super Smash Bros 3DS; otherwise it's like on N3DS.

Pandaxclone2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It stays in memory until a firmlaunch happens, which means that on N3DS it's permanent until a console is rebooted (as you can exit Homebrew Launcher without restarting, by pressing Start then X), while on O3DS there are 3 games that would invalidate it: Monster Hunter 4 U, Monster Hunter Generations and Super Smash Bros 3DS; otherwise it's like on N3DS.

Sure, you can do that but as far as my experience has been with Start/X in homebrew launcher it tends to mess other apps up when attempting to load them, forcing you to reboot the system anyway. Once this is set up it is again permanent and doesn't require the hassle of going into the homebrew launcher, executing ctr-httpwn, getting out with Start/X and then hoping that the home menu doesn't freak out on you. All it needs is that you just update it when an update comes out, which these days is rather infrequent.

Plus like you said, those three games won't work with ctr-httpwn so really the next best thing to do if you don't mind franken-firmware/don't wish to use A9LH is this.

Last edited by Pandaxclone2,

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sure, you can do that but as far as my experience has been with Start/X in homebrew launcher is tends to mess other apps up when attempting to load them, forcing you to reboot the system anyway. Once this is set up it is again permanent and doesn't require the hassle of going into the homebrew launcher, executing ctr-httpwn, getting out with Start/X and then hoping that the home menu doesn't freak out on you. All it needs is that you just update it when an update comes out, which these days is rather infrequent.

Plus like you said, those three games won't work with ctr-httpwn so really the next best thing to do if you don't mind franken-firmware/don't wish to use A9LH is this.
Oh, I know, and as I have an O3DS myself I just do Franken Firmware. I mostly mentioned it because there are people who don't want to do that (as it has it's own risks), and also, for people who want homebrew, but want to access some stuff that can't be otherwise (like already mentioned Theme Shop (which you can access normally, but you can't buy anthing) or for example, buying credits for the Badge Arcade)

Reactions: Pandaxclone2

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So I seem to have hit a barrier with this method. I'm still on 10.3, and I have been updating both NVer and friend module until 11.0. I skipped 11.1 because crt-httpwn happened. But I wanted to play Monster Hunter online, and since it causes firmlaunch on Old 3DS, I was forced to update. And here's the problem.
Both the 11.2 NVer and friends module refuse to install. NASA boots fine, it works as I tried installing a legit cia, but attempting to install those two system cias just causes the "An error has occurred" screen to appear.
Since I skipped 11.1 I tried to download it from NUS. Didn't check NVer, but friends module did get downloaded and installed succesfully. So it seems the issue lays within 11.2

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1