Hacking How to fix a cracked DS Phat?

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
make sure you know what your doing before starting because its hard as hell
i broke my ds doing this the other day and now im waiting for a top to bottom screen connector
the wire is the hardest part to get right tbh.
you have to get it in the connectors really tight and you have to make sure the wire doesnt touch the screens.
also, at the bottom half theres a little nook where you have to put the wire in and then turn it about so you can put it in
i didnt see that loop and i just went straight past it, causing the wire to touch and then short....
always take your time whilst doing it too. the last thing you should take out of the old phat is the hinge and the first thing you put in the new case is also the hinge.
make sure you also do the top half before the bottom half since that will make it a lot easier

hope that post helps

Riffman

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have recently just done this myself. I damaged the cable in the process, so ordered a new one & everything is fine. Here are some tips that might help you out:

When you get to the mainboard, you will see that there is a total of 4 cables that need to be disconnected. Take a photo of each cable BEFORE YOU DISCONNECT. This is so that you can refer to it when re-inserting the cables. You will be able to see how far in the cable actually goes.

The two big cables have a clip that pulls up to release them. The two smaller cables have a clip that needs to be loosened (pryed out) with a small screwdriver (or similar) - be very careful when doing this because they will break easily.

Make sure you have the buttons in the right way before re-assembly. Check that they aren't tight. If they are - do a little filing to get it right. If they are tight you will hate yourself when you finally have it all back together.

Remember to take the clear (led indicator) plastic piece from the old case & put in the new one.

When you put the connector cable in it must have a loop in it - You should be able to copy this from the old cable. Be careful when putting the top cable cover on that you don't damage the cable in the process.

That is all I can think of now. Good luck !
smile.gif

Edit: When you are putting the hinge together, make sure both pieces (top & bottom) are aligned properly. When I was doing it I forgot about this & pushed the hinge through the first part fine, but because the second part wasn't aligned when I pushed it through it cracked it, rendering the case completely useless.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
divineo? lol what do they charge like $25? just get one from dealextreme for like under $7 shipped.

I damaged the cable in my blue one, how much did u buy a cable for and where from? ebay is about 9 bucks shipped I think.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse