Hacking How to find out if A9LH or B9S installed without SD card?

INobody

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hello,
I managed to get a mint New Nintendo 2DS XL from our local craigslist. It was sold as defective and shows the Luma firm missing error message:
An error has occurred:
Failed to apply 1 FIRM patch(es).
Press any button to shutdown

I think I can fix that by adding the newest Luma files to an SD card, but how do I find out if its on B9S or A9LH?
What SD setup would I need for A9LH, to get it to boot in sysnand?

I dont know if it comes with SD card? Could it boot to that stage without SD card?

Last edited by INobody,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
N2DSXL will not have A9LH.

Hold (Select) on power on to see Luma3DS v??? configuration on the top of the upper screen. On the bottom of the lower screen it should say Booted from SD via B9S or Booted from CTRNAND via B9S.

Given that the micro-SD reader is working, providing a FAT32 formatted, checked micro-SD with latest boot.firm should make it boot.

As always: Complete instructions on the guide: https://3ds.hacks.guide/restoring-cfw
================

Good luck and have fun!

Reactions: Hayato213

INobody

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thank you for your replies! I think it just got updated and the boot.firm isnt up to date.
I will report back once I receive it.

INobody

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If you put the latest Luma and it boot then it is on B9S.

N2DSXL will not have A9LH.

Hold (Select) on power on to see Luma3DS v??? configuration on the top of the upper screen. On the bottom of the lower screen it should say Booted from SD via B9S or Booted from CTRNAND via B9S.

Given that the micro-SD reader is working, providing a FAT32 formatted, checked micro-SD with latest boot.firm should make it boot.

As always: Complete instructions on the guide: https://3ds.hacks.guide/restoring-cfw
================

Good luck and have fun!
Just to report back. Started it and got the described error screen. Did show me an older Luma version while holding Select. Updated the boot.firm and .3dsx. Thankfully it came with its micro SD card. Now its booting fine, so I got a great deal.

It also shows Booted from SD via B9S. I will use your linked guide now. CTRNAND is the way to go? There arent any downsides, are there?

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just to report back. Started it and got the described error screen. Did show me an older Luma version while holding Select. Updated the boot.firm and .3dsx. Thankfully it came with its micro SD card. Now its booting fine, so I got a great deal.

It also shows Booted from SD via B9S. I will use your linked guide now. CTRNAND is the way to go? There arent any downsides, are there?
B9S tries finding a valid boot.firm on SD first and falls back to CTRNAND in case there is none. Technically boot.firm on SD is enough. But if the SD corrupts or even the reader dies the console becomes unusable. Copy it to CTRNAND as safety precaution.
Thanks for reporting back. Always nice if a problem is that easy to solve.

Have fun!

INobody

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
B9S tries finding a valid boot.firm on SD first and falls back to CTRNAND in case there is none. Technically boot.firm on SD is enough. But if the SD corrupts or even the reader dies the console becomes unusable. Copy it to CTRNAND as safety precaution.
Thanks for reporting back. Always nice if a problem is that easy to solve.

Have fun!
Ok, will do that. Do I need to update B9S? There is a section in the guide (https://3ds.hacks.guide/updating-b9s). It gives me an error chainloading it through Luma.

Last edited by INobody,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM