Hacking How to extract Super Mario All Stars from game

MATTHEW43

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to extract the Super Mario All Stars Rom from Super Mario All Stars Wii? If so then how? also I I've read some other posts, and noticed people were talking about the audio being a seperate file from the rom, so if the rom were extracted it would have no audio, is this true?. SO to this I have a few questions:
First is the audio being in a seperate file only for Super Mario All Stars Wii or do other VC games have the rom and audio in seperate file?
and if other VC games do which ones?
Also is there any way to import the audio back into the rom or play it on an emulator and with the audio?

thanks in advance!

MATTHEW43

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Response to reply #1: Yes I know it is a direct port, I'm not sure how to find the rom on the disk.
and also some people are saying they made it so the audio was in a seperate file.

Response to Reply #2: I don't want to go download it from some site, I want to extract the rom from the game I own.

thanks for your replys though.

does anyone have any real answers to my questions?

Edit: also the reason I want to extract it is so that I can play it on emulators on multiple different systems(PC, xbox, etc.) and because emulators have options that VC games don't, save state etc.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
MATTHEW43 said:
Edit: also the reason I want to extract it is so that I can play it on emulators on multiple different systems(PC, xbox, etc.) and because emulators have options that VC games don't, save state etc.
um you can do that with the original rom.smc i'm using the same rom i used on zsnes on the pc in snes9x gx there's no need to do what you want to do it's been done already!
tongue.gif

QUOTEResponse to Reply #2: I don't want to go download it from some site

your wasting your time than the rom is NO different

MATTHEW43

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know its no different from a rom that you would download, but I want extract a rom from my game that I own, I dont want to download one!

MATTHEW43

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know its no different from a rom that you would download, but I want extract a rom from my game that I own, I dont want to download one!

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
MATTHEW43 said:
if your worried about it being illegal it's not since you OWN the game!

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
It's only legal if you made the back up you are using. It technically isn't legal to download another copy of the game, as it still isn't your own copy.

Reactions: Ryccardo

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
To answer the original question, you use a program called Wiiscrubber (which you should already know because its always stated in these threads when this topic comes up, which it does come up all the frickin time) to open and extract the contents of Wii iso files. I don't think any other software is required. http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/WiiScrubber

emuman100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First you have to extract the contents of the ISO. Use whatever works best for you. The ROM and audio sample is located in /files/content5. The ROM and audio sample file are LZH8 compressed. File names are LZH8SVME.rom and LZH8SVME.pcm. Use an LZH8 decompressor utility and you get the uncompressed files in their full glory. The ROM is 2MB and the audio sample file is 183KB. The ROM contains pointers to the PCM samples, but other than that, nothing has changed.

In an emulator, the ROM will run, except there will be either no sound or distorted sound. There is no support for these audio sample files in emulators currently.

The directory structure of the ISO is the same as a WAD, except the ROM and audio sample file are not compressed and the directories are packed in .app files. SNES VC games all have a sample file as well as the ROM, which runs perfectly in an emulator, except for either no audio or distorted audio. I think DKC VC is the only SNES VC to include the original ROM as well as the one modified to use the audio sample file.

What I don't understand is why even use an audio sample file. SNES VC injections of SMAS and other games have proven the emulator is perfectly capable of producing a pretty good audio emulation, so why use separate audio samples. Doesn't make sense to me.

I wanted to play this specific ROM in an emulator too, because I was intrigued by a ROM directly from the horses mouth of a game that is one of the best ever created. But, the audio sample file ruined my hopes and dreams, because emulators don't support it. I'm sure the samples are PCM, but packed in that file. I don't know what the sample size is, or anything else on how to even begin to play any sound from that file, and I'm no programmer, so I can't add support to ZSNES or SNES9X. So, until someone figures out how samples are stored in this file and adds support to emulators to use it, you'll just have to play this from the disc or use the dumped rom in SNES9X GX.

P.S. The sound seems a bit better when playing this from the disc rather than ZSNES on my computer, but maybe because I have it in my head that the samples are PCM and not emulated.

Reactions: Ryccardo

MATTHEW43

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thank you emuman100 for your response, this was the kindof respose I was looking for. By any chance does anyone know if regular NES VC games have seperate Audio files like SNES ones apparently do? or if regular NES games roms can be extracted from VC wads and played on an emulator with audio properly?

emuman100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To update this old thread, in case anyone is wondering how to do it (assuming US version).

1. Dump the contents of the disc. Look in /files/content5
2. Use a LZH8 decompressor to decompress LZH8SVME.rom and LZH8SVME.pcm
3. Now you have the files SVME.rom and SVME.pcm. You will need to use a utility called plombo vcromclaim here to convert the PCM format into the BRR format that the SNES uses and combine the rom and converted brr into a SNES rom suitable for playing in an emulator. python must be installed to use this tool.

Now you will have a rom suitable for use in an emulator. One noticeable attribute about this rom is that it has no SNES header information.

I'm sure it's been done by now, but you can probably replace the rom and pcm files from this game and put them into the Super Mario World wad and it would work.

Amuro-san

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
To update this old thread, in case anyone is wondering how to do it (assuming US version).

1. Dump the contents of the disc. Look in /files/content5
2. Use a LZH8 decompressor to decompress LZH8SVME.rom and LZH8SVME.pcm
3. Now you have the files SVME.rom and SVME.pcm. You will need to use a utility called plombo vcromclaim here to convert the PCM format into the BRR format that the SNES uses and combine the rom and converted brr into a SNES rom suitable for playing in an emulator. python must be installed to use this tool.

Now you will have a rom suitable for use in an emulator. One noticeable attribute about this rom is that it has no SNES header information.

I'm sure it's been done by now, but you can probably replace the rom and pcm files from this game and put them into the Super Mario World wad and it would work.
i'm interested in this, in injecting a translated rom, but i'm not quite understanding the python instructions

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1