How to extend wi-fi range of DS Lite

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by xmedia, Mar 5, 2008.

Mar 5, 2008
  1. xmedia
    OP

Newcomer xmedia Advanced Member

Canada
    Is there anything I can do, buy or make to extend the range of my DS's wi-fi capabilities without needing to take it apart? I've heard if you tape a piece of foil on the back of the DS you can get a slight signal boost, but I have no one with the time to spare to test this theory out because its nothing more than a rumor.

2. DarkAura

Member DarkAura Offline

Canada
    Wi-Fi as in over teh internetz or as in DS to DS? Cuz I don't think there's a way right now for either...

3. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    Yes! Build a giant dish out of foil and tape it to the back of your DS!

4. PBC

Member PBC What!? I can change this??

United States
    DS Wifi Mod Video

THere is a video there that shows you how do to a WIFI mod. It involves taking apart your DS, sodering a wire to your WIFI chip and running the wire out the back of your ds, wrapped in tinfoil and a straw =X Looks like a lot of work and I'd probably not do it unless I had a good reason, or a spare DS.

Results of Mod

5. Shabadage

Member Shabadage GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Pringles can. Yes, I'm completely serious.

Cut it in half from top to bottom, then cut one of those pieces in half from side to side. Position it about 4 inches away from the R button parallel to the bottom half of the DS. It doesn't actually "extend" your range, but rather directs more signal towards the DS Wifi. I managed to boost my signal by 1 to 2 bars this way, just enough to kill some excess lag in Bleach. On the PC I noticed about a 20% signal strength boost while doing this same thing to my USB wifi adaptor.