How to ensure my 3DS with FW 9..0.0-20E doesn't update itself to 9.7+

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by FirstLady, Jun 2, 2015.

1. FirstLady
    OP

FirstLady GBAtemp Regular

May 25, 2015
    United States
    If I play online or my 3DS wifi is on, is this possible, or how do I put security measures in place to ensure this doesn't occur.

Thank you once again, and again... xD

cocoPika and nxwing like this.

2. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    You can turn parental control on, this means you will have to type a PIN to update the firmware. You can also do a system format if you get the update nag.

nxwing and FirstLady like this.
  3. FirstLady
    OP

May 25, 2015
    United States
    Awesome, thanks. System format won't change my fw, browser vers. or anything like that, will it?

nxwing likes this.
  4. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Rule 1. Never let anyone else use it without posting a cash bond especially a sibling. :)
    Rule 2. It will not update itself, you must press accept on the screen. Don't blindly press yes on pop ups.
    Rule 3. Use openDNS or one of several other methods to block update servers.
    Rule 4. Do not put it in sleep mode with wireless on and it will never download the update.
    Rule 5. Be careful when outside the house as ATT hotspots and Nintendo Zones will download the update even if you have no wifi connections set up. (Personal experience with this)
    Rule 6. Never let a cart update. Just say no.
    Rule 7. Make a NAND backup before you do anything else with the system! Do it now!
    Rule 8. Don't buy a travel case just wrap it in a double layer of heavy duty Reynolds aluminum foil and put on your tin foil hat and be proud. (actually, please don't do this especially the hat.)

No it will not but the system will freak you out because it will ask your permission to go online. It is just verifying with Nintendo that you are eligible for a system format and unlinking your NNID. I have done this dozens of times to wipe the update nag in sysnand. Though now that I know about the recovery mode method I have not downloaded the update nag in sysnand.

Last edited by thorasgar, Jun 2, 2015
  5. FirstLady
    OP

May 25, 2015
    United States
    LAWL, good tips xD

nxwing likes this.
  6. Leslie White

Leslie White GBAtemp Regular

Feb 21, 2015
    France
    Paris
    Is there a risk if I play a local pokémon game with a friend on a 3ds latest firmware and me on emunand 9.5 (n3ds) ?

nxwing and FirstLady like this.
  7. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    There should not be. I have not experienced that exact scenario, but with other games as long as the systems are on the minimum required FW for the game even download play will not require an update.

Just don't blindly press yes and it does require a press on the touchscreen. The A button won't cut it.

You really have to try hard or hand it to a Dumass to accidentally update the FW.

Last edited by thorasgar, Jun 2, 2015
    nxwing, Leslie White and FirstLady like this.
  8. Ronhero

Ronhero Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    If you boot into recovery with the update nag it should delete it from ever showing up again. After that it's just a matter of not doing any cart updates or accessing eshop while not spoofed.

Also you should backup your nand just incase since you have cubic ninja

FirstLady, dimmidice and nxwing like this.
  9. GothicIII

GothicIII GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2015
    Gambia, The
    This is not true for N3DS. If the update nag appears, it will update automatically when you leave it on. Mine updated after 2 or 3 weeks. I was very surprised because I was too lazy to remove the updatenag from emunand (you have to restore a old backup and eventually reinstall everything) and suddenly I got a blackscreen after waking the N3DS up. Noone else involved and Im not stupid to update that thing.

A solution for me was to block those fw-updates by blocking the ip-address of nintendos update server within my router.

BTW parental controls for stopping fw-updates don't work anymore since 4.5.x+

FirstLady and nxwing like this.
  10. coolfuze

coolfuze GBAtemp Fan

Jun 25, 2013
    Rule 7 is especially helpful.

FirstLady and nxwing like this.
  11. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tuvalu
    If you format the 3ds from the settings menu, it asks to go online before you can format it, this is to unlink your ID at a guess. Would this warrant enough to start the update to download or is it just to clear the ID from the Nintendo server?

FirstLady likes this.
  12. d0k3

d0k3 3DS Homebrew Legend

Dec 3, 2004
    Gambia, The
    FirstLady likes this.
  13. Shadowfied

Shadowfied GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 6, 2014
    How do I backup my NAND with Cubic Ninja? Is there a point, and is it possible doing it when you're on 9.5 (old 3DS) and 9.7 (new 3DS)?

14. pokemoner2500

pokemoner2500 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    This is partly true, any game that requires download play from the DLP app will ask to update to your friends FW (personal experience) but any game like Pokemon or Monster Hunter where you connect from In-Game is safe.

It's not possible at your FW, unless you have a hard mod.

15. d0k3

d0k3 3DS Homebrew Legend

Dec 3, 2004
    Gambia, The
    Well, that's new... Are you absolutely sure nothing else caused the black screen? Also, was there some of message before/after it happend (such as "We will now brick your 3DS. Greetings, Nintendo :))?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Not with Cubic Ninja. Use GWs launcher.dat instead. And yes, that works without actually owning the GW card.

16. VerseHell

VerseHell GBAtemp Psycho!

Jun 29, 2014
    France
    No it won't, I have the update nag on my emunand since the 9.6 update and it still didn't update by itself. You or someone else must have done something.

17. Nollog

Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2008
    I've had an update on my emunand since I bought the console in March or April.

I've left it on in my pocket walking to work/train and never had it update itself. I just press b when it asks once a day.

edit: yeah it's a new 3ds.

18. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    well firstly it won't just automatically update, i have left the nag screen up for hours (i turned on the 3DS and just left it on the side while i went out and it hadn't magically updated on my return)

PS a update requires fairly conscious thought into running it, you would need to hit A to agree to update, then hit accept on the touch screen (so mashing A will not inadvertently trigger an update)....i guess "accidental updates" should be called "careless updates" really

and parental controls only blocks updates on 3.x, once it hits 4.x parental controls will not block updates any more

otto888 and mvmiranda like this.
  19. GothicIII

GothicIII GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2015
    Gambia, The
    I left the N3DS on in standby mode for three weeks on with the charging cable plugged in. Of course in Emunand. In that whole time I wasn't at home and I live here alone. After waking the system up, I got the blackscreen. I tried a few restarts with the GW-Launcher and I still had a blackscreen.
    After I restored an old backup from my EMUNAND, launching Emunand worked again. I didn't mess around with the SD-Card or hardware.

When the 9.6 Update came out my 3DS loaded it overnight and provided me the update-nag. I wasn't that scared because I just used the GW-Launcher when the console ran out of juice.
    Other then that, there was nothing which told me the system will be updated.
    Normally I never restart the system. I let it be in standby mode the whole time.

You can believe this or not, I don't care honestly.
    Either the update-nag caused an automatic update or someone broke into my home and forced the 3DS to update.
    I believe the 1st theory.
    After this incident I blocked the ip of NUS and since then the mystery is gone.

Last edited by GothicIII, Jun 2, 2015
  20. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    fill up all reserver slots for wifi with bogus ones, use parental control, milk (no beer for you kiddies).