How to eliminate "noise"

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by SlyGuy, Jun 23, 2007.

Jun 23, 2007

How to eliminate "noise" by SlyGuy at 11:16 AM (1,510 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. SlyGuy
    OP

Member SlyGuy GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I noticed a lot of "noise" on a burned copy of Mortal Kombat. Basically you see wavy lines in the background as a disruption in the picture. Almost like interferance or a poor cable. I'm not sure what is to blame here. I checked it against a rental copy of Mortal Kombat and, yes, the true copy didn't have the "noise".

I am currently using Verbatim, 16x DVD+R (plain white) which I've heard is a reputable brand.

Where could the problem lie? Bad dump? Bad burn? Bad media?

What steps can I take to resolve this issue?

Thanks!

2. Ben_j

Member Ben_j GBAtemp Advanced Fan

France
    Do a barrel roll

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    My guess is the backgrounds are streamed in some manner and the "noise" is the fault of the disc not being read quick/well enough.

Your three guess would be mine so I would try all the remedies (redump, reburn and alternate media).

Just out of curiousity how do other games fare?

4. nloding

Member nloding GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I have to rip my Chiip out and upgrade to OpenWii 2.2 tonight, and I just downloaded a copy of Armageddon. I will do my best to test it tonight with the dump I got and let you know what I get.

5. beauchampy

Newcomer beauchampy Advanced Member

United Kingdom
  6. duy64

Member duy64 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Wat noise are we talking about here ? sound noise ?

7. nloding

United States
    Well, nevermind, can't test it. I didn't check my programmer before I plugged it in, and I toasted my chip. There's a little burn hole in the top of it. I'm not sure if the crossed wires on my programmer did it, or if it was a failing chip, but now I'm waiting on one from the ModAWii guy Chuck, who is giving a decent deal on preprogrammed OpenWii 2.2 ATMega chips.

8. Royal2000H

Newcomer Royal2000H Member

United States
    how long did it take to make a hole in it?

9. Smuff

Member Smuff Fossilized Gamer

United Kingdom
    What speed did you burn the copy at ?
    And what mod do you have fitted ?

I think I read somewhere that the speed of the burn can affect the quality of the resulting game - not entirely sure as I haven't actually tried it myself, but just thought i'd throw it in there

10. SlyGuy
    OP

Member SlyGuy GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    4x speed.

OpenWii with ATMEGA (the DVD upgradeable one) and I had it professionally installed.

And it is a visual disruption, not an audio one. So far I've only really noticed it on Mortal Kombat, but I see it a little with my other games. I don't think it's the media cause I have Zelda burned on two different medias and it looks the same. Can't test MK on the old media because I'm all out of those DVDs. Would be great if someone with an MK dump could check it out and let me know how it is!

Thanks!

11. FreddeX

Newcomer FreddeX Member

Sweden
    Wiikey, Verbatim DVD+R x16 (silver) burned at x4 - can't see any problems whatsoever.

12. Sonicandtails

Member Sonicandtails GBAtemp Fan

United States
    You are all taking a simple problem all too seriously.
    I have a TV connected to a VCR which I plug my systems into. Every system I own has this issue with my VCR because it is just a bad VCR and it provides noise on the line. I've noticed it on my PS2 during Resident Evil Code RX, my Genesis during Sonic, my Gamecube during Smash Bros Melee, and on my Wii during anything with a dark backdrop. Trust me, it is something as simple as the physical line getting noise, not the DVDs or anything.

If they are moving and seem to "travel" up or down slowly, then right there you know it's the VCR or whatever you are using, because the refresh rate is playing with it making it more noticeable.

Try this simple solution that may work...
    Move your AV cable around and see what happens.

13. nycwii

Newcomer nycwii Advanced Member

United States
    like sonic and tails said some times when a wire was wrapped up wrong, the wire inside bends and folds and can cometime short out. the peice thus becums loose. when this happens (happened with my ps2) you have to jiggle the cord around in the slot or outside the slot to get a etter audio video reception

hope this helps =]

14. nloding

United States
    My Chiip was plugged in for several minutes -- I don't know at what point it fried.

Anyhow, it could be cables. Try a different TV all together.

15. captain^k

Member captain^k GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand