how to downgrade from 4.3 back to 4.2

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by sungee, Feb 6, 2011.

Feb 6, 2011
  1. sungee
    OP

Newcomer sungee Member

United States
    hi, please help, by mistake l upgrade my wii to u4.3 ,now some new and old mario game and jap game l can not play , please teach me how to downgrade back to u4.2 so l can,,,,,please help and reply, many thanks,,,,,sungee

2. zizer

Member zizer GBAtemp Addict

3. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    I think what you really need to be asking is if you really WANT to go back to 4.2, or that you just want to get your games running. The update removed your hacks (which is why the games won't work)...but since you're not 4.3 now, you might as well stay there. You're going to have to rehack it no matter what you do. Actually downgrading just is extra effort (and slightly more risky to brick your wii).

In either case, you're going to have to reinstall your cIOS'es. To play an out-of-region game, you may want to (re)install priiloader and use the ''region free everything'' hack (oh, and disable the online updates and disk updates as well...it'll prevent you from running into this problem again in the future).

Do you still have the HBC? If not...you're going to have to reinstall that as well (and you probably need to use an exploit from one of the hackable games for that).

4. sungee
    OP

Newcomer sungee Member

United States
    thk,s for reply, too late, now is already 4.3 what is the easy way to go back to 4.2, l am so sorry to make a big mistake udgrade to 4.3 couse lot of masssss,now all my jap games and mario games can not play. please help.

5. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Didn't you read what I said? There IS no easy way to go back to 4.2. Take a look at the changes: the firmware upgrade does practically nothing but remove your homebrew.

Actually downgrading means doing things like removing IOS58 (which is actually used by some homebrew now), downgrading your system menu (which not only has nothing to do with allowing out-of-region games to play, but will brick your wii if you forget to install v6687 of IOS70 first) and downgrading some random other IOS'es (which is pointless to begin with...except if they were stubbed, like IOS70).

6. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    Just wanted to add that there is literally no difference between 4.2 and 4.3, besides the addition of IOS58, which is now utilized by many homebrew applications. There is no point in downgrading back to 4.2, since all 4.3 did was remove your homebrew, which, if you have the right games (since Bannerbomb got patched), can easily be re-obtained.

In short: follow a guide to hack your Wii again. You can't downgrade if you don't have the Homebrew Channel, and once you get the HBC, all you really need to do from there is re-install your backup loaders and cIOS to get everything up and running again.

7. sungee
    OP

Newcomer sungee Member

United States
    thk,s l will try

8. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    If you decide to downgrade ( wich I don't recommend ! ) make sure you have a NON-STUBBED version of ios 70 installed.

The steps will be the same again as to mod a Wii ( installing trucha, Cios etc. ) so it's really pointless to do.
    Stay on 4.3 and just rehack.

9. sungee
    OP

Newcomer sungee Member

United States
    hi thk,s for reply and teach me how,but the thing is l am a new player ,so lot of stuff you say l am not really know, so can you give me some web site so l can follow step by step to rehack the 4.3 , so l can just stay in there (4.3) not going back to 4.2. thak,s

10. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Assuming you still have the Homebrew Channel installed on your Wii, you should be okay. Forget downgrading and use ModMii to reinstall any cIOS that might have been stubbed, etc.