Status
Not open for further replies.
Tutorial  Updated

How to Do things online on the 3ds without risk of getting banned. "3DS Safemode" as I call it.

*BRICK RISK*

DO A CFW BACKUP BEFORE CONTINUING, NOTHING SHOULD GO WRONG BUT IT IS BETTER TO BE SAFE RATHER THAN SORRY. (Nothing went wrong for me, but still)

ONLY UPDATE IN LUMA CFW MODE!!!!! UPDATING IN SAFE MODE COULD BRICK YOUR 3DS!!!!!!

Having Fastboot3DS is recommended but not required. Watch this video here to install it.

Note: use the 2 links linked here for Fastboot3ds and open firm installer, as his versions in his description are a bit outdated. Fastboot3DS: https://github.com/derrekr/fastboot3DS/releases
OpenFirmInstaller: https://github.com/d0k3/OpenFirmInstaller/releases

Read the readme file for use of these applications.

How to:

First go to the guide linked here to uninstall CFW, we will not be uninstalling CFW but we will be using some of the same steps as in that guide. Read through the guide until you get to the part where it tells you to boot the .firm file. Instead of booting it decrypt it to gm9/out. You no longer need to follow the linked guide.

Here is the guide: https://3ds.hacks.guide/uninstall-cfw

Then use gm9 to copy the file from the gm9/out folder to the Luma/payloads folder for simplicity sake, and in case you do not feel like using Fastboot3DS. As you can still boot this firm file without Fastboot3DS.

Then rename this file to something like "Safemode.firm" for organizational reasons.

If you are using Fastboot3DS then create a new boot profile from the "Boot setup" menu using the "Safemode.firm" file as the payload that will be booted with your chosen combo. Then hold the power button to shut down your 3DS after you have saved this profile.

Then when you reboot your 3DS with the set button combo (if you are using Fastboot3DS) or with the Luma Chainloader menu (via the start button), then when you are at the system menu you will be in safemode!

Limitations of "Safemode" :

Any ilegit CIAs will fail to run but legit CIAs should run just fine, the same goes for Homebrew (In the sense that none of it will run without CFW.). If you try to run any of these apps you will get an error message on your screen about redownloading the app from the eShop, and when you restart your 3DS back into safemode you will see that those apps icons have disappeared. This worried me for a minute because I thought the app had been deleted and my save data had been erased, but when I rebooted my 3DS normally the icons reappeared as new apps on my 3DS and all my save data was exactly how I left it. So do not worry too much if that happens to you. They will be resorted though.

CFW will be disabled meaning no Homebrew functionality, and any flashcards that were permanently blocked on the 3ds will be blocked again, due to CFW being the program that actually handled unblocking them. This is nothing to worry about, as when you reboot your 3DS into CFW instead of into safemode all this functionality will be restored.

Who needs this?:
This would be good for people who are worried about Nintendo banning them from online play therefore they do not use internet when using CFW. Through this method though, it should be safe to do online play. If you install an app from the eShop in this mode it will run just fine even when booting back into CFW.

I want Homebrew functionality in this mode:

Just follow the guide linked here. You do not need to brute force the moveable.sed file however, as you have access to Godmode9 so you can just make a backup of it from there. Once you have the Homebrew Launcher you can use any 3DS Homebrew, with of course some restrictions as you do not have CFW at the moment. But things like the limited version of CTGP7 should work fine.

Google how to use pichaxx on the 3ds.

How does this work?:
From what I understand, the .firm file that we are booting in this process is the stock firm file that ships with every 3DS. So when we boot it, we are basically booting back into stock firmware. This means that when Nintendo's anti-CFW checks scan your console they do not find any remnants of CFW at all on your console, as you are using the stock firm file created by them (Nintendo).

Credits:
sthetix for the Fastboot3DS tutorial

Jack Sorrell for the Homebrew video

Plailect for the chunck of his guide I used.

Fastboot is made by profi200

OpenFirmInstaller is made by d0k3

If you have any questions please ask them in the comments.

Last edited by Flame,

LinusRG

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I apologize. I just hate doing hard work on something that I am ignorant, and that I do not know what I am talking about.

Reactions: peteruk

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Linus it's quite clear you meant no ill harm, many of experienced users have chimed in explaining why.

You tried to do a good thing but this time it didn't pay off.

Don't let this put you off in future, just maybe put further thought into it.... in the meantime relax and enjoy the beautiful weather (well it's nice hear anyway).

Reactions: kop365 and LinusRG

LinusRG

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Linus it's quite clear you meant no ill harm, many of experienced users have chimed in explaining why.

You tried to do a good thing but this time it didn't pay off.

Don't let this put you off in future, just maybe put further thought into it.... in the meantime relax and enjoy the beautiful weather (well it's nice hear anyway).
It is quite nice here too. Do you happen to know any Japanese by the way? I was trying to boot different 3ds system .firm files. Some froze my 3ds and others shut it down. But one poped up with a japanese error with off written in english.

Last edited by LinusRG,

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is quite nice here too. Do you happen to know any Japanese by the way? I was trying to boot different 3ds system .firm files. Some froze my 3ds and others shut it down. But one poped up with a japanese error with off written in english.

I don't know any sorry.... English, tiny bit of Spanish, tiny bit of French and that's it... for everything else there's Google translate for me :rofl2:

Reactions: kop365 and LinusRG

LinusRG

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know any sorry.... English, tiny bit of Spanish, tiny bit of French and that's it... for everything else there's Google translate for me :rofl2:
Just wondering because of your Japanese DS. I assumed you went to Japan at one point.

Reactions: peteruk

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
This happens 100% of the time if you launch a 3DS download play game, but may happen in some other situations as well.
Hold on, can you please elaborate on this? Do you mean the Download Play game will always overwrite firm0 (thus making it unsafe to play via Download Play after installing b9s) or do you mean it only does so after following this guide? I worry I may be misinterpreting this.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

LinusRG

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hold on, can you please elaborate on this? Do you mean the Download Play game will always overwrite firm0 (thus making it unsafe to play via Download Play after installing b9s) or do you mean it only does so after following this guide? I worry I may be misinterpreting this.
I think he means that the 3ds that is unhacked will try and inject nintendo's stock firm file back into the firm0 and 1 slots. But I think Luma CFW has preventions against this. I do see this as a new potential CFW installation method though, if what I just said ends up beiing true.

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Luma prevents this from happening.

D

Deleted User

follow it later. A long time has passed since I last used my 3ds

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
follow it later. A long time has passed since I last used my 3ds
DO NOT FOLLOW THIS GUIDE. It will cause you to lose CFW and comes with the potential for a brick. There is nothing that this guide will protect, going online with CFW has been safe for years.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't think there is a risk to get banned anymore since no one can go online with Pokemon before release anymore.
That's not what I got banned for because I never did that. I hate that this misinfo is still going around years later. There were many people hit back in ban waves that never even played a Pokémon title.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's not what I got banned for because I never did that. I hate that this misinfo is still going around years later. There were many people hit back in ban waves that never even played a Pokémon title.
Yes, there are rare reports of people who got banned for no apparent reason whatsoever during the "ban waves", which is probably a good indication that Nintendo probably isn't going to do something like that again rather than risk a pile of negative press.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Allow me to save you some time: No, it's not safe.

but it seems pointless this thread.

we haven't had a ban in a long time.

and the case we did we people cheating online or play a leak of Pokemon.

edit:

I'm locking this because of the brick risk. i don't feel comfortable knowing our members might brick, cause of the risk.

Last edited by Flame,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi: