Status
Not open for further replies.
Tutorial  Updated

How to Do things online on the 3ds without risk of getting banned. "3DS Safemode" as I call it.

*BRICK RISK*

DO A CFW BACKUP BEFORE CONTINUING, NOTHING SHOULD GO WRONG BUT IT IS BETTER TO BE SAFE RATHER THAN SORRY. (Nothing went wrong for me, but still)

ONLY UPDATE IN LUMA CFW MODE!!!!! UPDATING IN SAFE MODE COULD BRICK YOUR 3DS!!!!!!

Having Fastboot3DS is recommended but not required. Watch this video here to install it.

Note: use the 2 links linked here for Fastboot3ds and open firm installer, as his versions in his description are a bit outdated. Fastboot3DS: https://github.com/derrekr/fastboot3DS/releases
OpenFirmInstaller: https://github.com/d0k3/OpenFirmInstaller/releases

Read the readme file for use of these applications.

How to:

First go to the guide linked here to uninstall CFW, we will not be uninstalling CFW but we will be using some of the same steps as in that guide. Read through the guide until you get to the part where it tells you to boot the .firm file. Instead of booting it decrypt it to gm9/out. You no longer need to follow the linked guide.

Here is the guide: https://3ds.hacks.guide/uninstall-cfw

Then use gm9 to copy the file from the gm9/out folder to the Luma/payloads folder for simplicity sake, and in case you do not feel like using Fastboot3DS. As you can still boot this firm file without Fastboot3DS.

Then rename this file to something like "Safemode.firm" for organizational reasons.

If you are using Fastboot3DS then create a new boot profile from the "Boot setup" menu using the "Safemode.firm" file as the payload that will be booted with your chosen combo. Then hold the power button to shut down your 3DS after you have saved this profile.

Then when you reboot your 3DS with the set button combo (if you are using Fastboot3DS) or with the Luma Chainloader menu (via the start button), then when you are at the system menu you will be in safemode!

Limitations of "Safemode" :

Any ilegit CIAs will fail to run but legit CIAs should run just fine, the same goes for Homebrew (In the sense that none of it will run without CFW.). If you try to run any of these apps you will get an error message on your screen about redownloading the app from the eShop, and when you restart your 3DS back into safemode you will see that those apps icons have disappeared. This worried me for a minute because I thought the app had been deleted and my save data had been erased, but when I rebooted my 3DS normally the icons reappeared as new apps on my 3DS and all my save data was exactly how I left it. So do not worry too much if that happens to you. They will be resorted though.

CFW will be disabled meaning no Homebrew functionality, and any flashcards that were permanently blocked on the 3ds will be blocked again, due to CFW being the program that actually handled unblocking them. This is nothing to worry about, as when you reboot your 3DS into CFW instead of into safemode all this functionality will be restored.

Who needs this?:
This would be good for people who are worried about Nintendo banning them from online play therefore they do not use internet when using CFW. Through this method though, it should be safe to do online play. If you install an app from the eShop in this mode it will run just fine even when booting back into CFW.

I want Homebrew functionality in this mode:

Just follow the guide linked here. You do not need to brute force the moveable.sed file however, as you have access to Godmode9 so you can just make a backup of it from there. Once you have the Homebrew Launcher you can use any 3DS Homebrew, with of course some restrictions as you do not have CFW at the moment. But things like the limited version of CTGP7 should work fine.

Google how to use pichaxx on the 3ds.

How does this work?:
From what I understand, the .firm file that we are booting in this process is the stock firm file that ships with every 3DS. So when we boot it, we are basically booting back into stock firmware. This means that when Nintendo's anti-CFW checks scan your console they do not find any remnants of CFW at all on your console, as you are using the stock firm file created by them (Nintendo).

Credits:
sthetix for the Fastboot3DS tutorial

Jack Sorrell for the Homebrew video

Plailect for the chunck of his guide I used.

Fastboot is made by profi200

OpenFirmInstaller is made by d0k3

If you have any questions please ask them in the comments.

Last edited by Flame,

LinusRG

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't think there is a risk to get banned anymore since no one can go online with Pokemon before release anymore.
There are still alot of other games that go online though, I like sometimes playing CTGP7 without the risk of getting banned.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Totally not needed as Nintendo for the last three years or so have only been banning people for cheating online or for using a stolen credit card in the eshop.
My old broken 3ds jus got banned like half a year ago.

Engezerstorung

Trophies
XP
Country
France
also, big disclaimer : if you do that, never update while in "safemode" as it will remove b9s (luma or any cfw is actually protecting b9s to be removed while updating the console firmware, so if you arent in cfw, this protection doesnt exist)

Reactions: LinusRG

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There are still alot of other games that go online though, I like sometimes playing CTGP7 without the risk of getting banned.

My old broken 3ds jus got banned like half a year ago.
You must have used a hacked rom online then.

LinusRG

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
also, big disclaimer : if you do that, never update while in "safemode" as it will remove b9s (luma or any cfw is actually protecting b9s to be removed while updating the console firmware, so if you arent in cfw, this protection doesnt exist)
Will Nintendo actually reinject the stock firm file?

You must have used a hacked rom online then.
Yes I used CTGP7 online. Do they also ban you if you use an ilegit CIA?

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wouldn't paranoid people just use the incognito mode in godmode9 anyway it does exactly what you are suggesting to do without alll the various steps. All you have to do is select incognito mode lol.

No bans for pirated games. Only for cheating online and hacked roms which nintendo class as cheating lol

LinusRG

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wouldn't paranoid people just use the incognito mode in godmode9 anyway it does exactly what you are suggesting to do without alll the various steps. All you have to do is select incognito mode lol.

No bans for pirated games. Only for cheating online and hacked roms which Nintendo class as cheating lol
I actually completely forgot that existed. How does it work again?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, TL;DR: use the Safety Test in the guide to boot into regular firmware?

This seems to have nothing to do with Fastboot.

I want Homebrew functionality in this mode:

Just follow the guide linked here. You do not need to brute force the moveable.sed file however, as you have access to Godmode9 so you can just make a backup of it from there. Once you have the Homebrew Launcher you can use any 3DS Homebrew, with of course some restrictions as you do not have CFW at the moment. But things like the limited version of CTGP7 should work fine.

Guide for this: (Should work fine as long as steel diver sub wars is still on the eShop)
Have you tried this yourself? Because I think you'll find JKSM and Anemone are pretty much the only things that will run from the Homebrew Launcher when Luma isn't loaded. This is why Jack Sorrell's guides are strongly frowned upon here, because you will never find that out from watching his video. They're also outdated: Steelhax was superseded by Pichaxx a long time ago. (Pichaxx is a smaller download and starts up more reliably.)

Last edited by Kwyjor,

LinusRG

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, TL;DR: use the Safety Test in the guide to boot into regular firmware?

Have you tried this yourself? Because I think you'll find JKSM and Anemone are pretty much the only things that will run from the Homebrew Launcher when Luma isn't loaded. This is why Jack Sorrell's guides are strongly frowned upon here, because you will never find that out from watching his video. They're also outdated: Steelhax was superseded by Pichaxx a long time ago. (Pichaxx is a smaller download and starts up more reliably.)
On 11.9 I was able to run some things, but a bunch of them crashed to be honest. What about using EmuNAND then to boot into a not hacked CTRNAND?

Start godmode9
Press home button
Select scripts
SelectGM9mega script
Select miscellaneous
Select incognito
How does it work?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
On 11.9 I was able to run some things, but a bunch of them crashed to be honest.
Precisely. Some other things will run (mGBA, for instance) only if there is a .xml file accompanying the .3dsx to specify that it should "take over" another application.

What about using EmuNAND then to boot into a not hacked CTRNAND?
Sure, but no one bothers with that anymore because the ban risk is so insignificant. Also, it still won't let you run more stuff from the Homebrew Launcher.

I have no idea what you might have done to get banned six months ago that didn't involve some kind of cheating or eShop fraud. I'm sure lots of people would like to know.

Last edited by Kwyjor,

LinusRG

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Precisely. Some other things will run (mGBA, for instance) only if there is a .xml file accompanying the .3dsx to specify that it should "take over" another application.

Sure, but no one bothers with that anymore because the ban risk is so insignificant. Also, it still won't let you run more stuff from the Homebrew Launcher.

I have no idea what you might have done to get banned six months ago that didn't involve some kind of cheating or eShop fraud. I'm sure lots of people would like to know.
I do not do much. The only thing I can think of is A, using CTGP7 online, or B, using an Ilegit CIA of MALDT as my frien took my Ligit copy a few years ago, and I was assuming that it would be fine playing the game with the CIA as I did buy the game, just my friend never gave it back to me. I am kind of planning on buying a used version of it if you really think I should. Also I ad not switched the spotpass options off in settings.

Last edited by LinusRG,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I do not do much. The only thing I can think of is A, using CTGP7 online, or B, using an Ilegit CIA of MALDT as my frien took my Ligit copy a few years ago, and I was assuming that it would be fine playing the game with the CIA as I did buy the game, just my friend never gave it back to me. I am kind of planning on buying a used version of it if you really think I should. Also I ad not switched the spotpass options off in settings.
I haven't read much about CTGP7 so I don't know if using it online has some kind of a ban risk. Google should know more.

Perhaps a better question: what makes you think you were banned? Did you get some other error message that you thought was a ban?

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I like the general idea of loading a FIRM like that to achieve what you're wanting

On a personal level, I wish someone could make a FIRM which would allow / force my region changed JPN to EURO console to connect to the eShop - that would be kinda awesome :)

I've been told in no uncertain terms by quite a few people "it ain't happening son!!", so I know I'm SOL now, but hey, one can wish

Reactions: kop365 and LinusRG

LinusRG

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I haven't read much about CTGP7 so I don't know if using it online has some kind of a ban risk. Google should know more.

Perhaps a better question: what makes you think you were banned? Did you get some other error message that you thought was a ban?
I know it was a ban. I tried running MK7 online without CTGP7 and it would not allow me into the course. After replacing my local friend code file though,
I like the general idea of loading a FIRM like that to achieve what you're wanting

On a personal level, I wish someone could make a FIRM which would allow / force my region changed JPN to EURO console to connect to the eShop - that would be kinda awesome :)

I've been told in no uncertain terms by quite a few people "it ain't happening son!!", so I know I'm SOL now, but hey, one can wish
I bought a new 2ds when I was living in Sweden for half a year, tried region changing my hacked new U 3DS to try and hack the new E 2DS when Sudokuhax was still the main method being used, realized it would not work, and I ended up returning the new 2ds.

Just a theory, why not make NAND backup and then reflash the stock Japanese CTRNAND? From there rip a copy of the Japanese eshop and use that on your 3ds? After of course restoring your NAND backup. Or if that does not work, try the more convoluted method of using EMUNAND for eshop games and hope the ones you download have an English version.

Last edited by LinusRG,
Reactions: peteruk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs