Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lone_wolf323

lone_wolf323 GBAtemp Psycho!

Canada
    Not overly. Both of those videos you linked have caused a lot of people to come here cause they left out vital information which they think their consoles became bricked.

E1ite007, sks316 and LinusRG like this.
  2. LinusRG

OP LinusRG GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I did not kno that. I personaly used the fastboot video to get fastboot on my 3ds, but if you think I should remove them, give me a link to a better alternative.

3. lone_wolf323

lone_wolf323 GBAtemp Psycho!

Canada
    The only one people here with recommend is https://3ds.hacks.guide/ . There are no video ones that will be said, they all become outdated and most usually have missing info or files.

LinusRG and peteruk like this.
  4. peteruk

peteruk GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    I think LinusRG wrote this with the best of intentions. It's true that video guides can become outdated very quickly and can cause more problems and we should always stick to 'the guide'.

However, instead of being negative, we should encourage LinusRG to make his project in a different way.

His intentions were good.

LinusRG and E1ite007 like this.
  5. E1ite007

E1ite007 Weird avatar guy

Mexico
    I don't doubt about @LinusRG intentions in the slightest, but isn't his first thread and has been here since 2017 according his account.

peteruk likes this.
  6. LinusRG

Canada
    Who the hell cares. I switched to reddit for a while as I thought it would be more convenient.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Thank you. When I was making this I thought, "hey maybe if people boot into stock firmware they can avoid being banned as Nintendo would have a lot of trouble finding the CFW in that state."

Last edited by LinusRG, May 27, 2020
    peteruk likes this.
  7. PabloMK7

PabloMK7 Red Yoshi! ^ω^
    Developer

Spain
    DO NOT FOLLOW THIS GUIDE, YOU COULD END UP WITH A BRICKED SYSTEM!!!!!

Now to elaborate, even if you don't press the "Update" option in your 3ds, there is a chance that the 3ds will detect the firm0 partition outdated and will install the default firmware .firm to the firm0 partition (a.k.a. where b9s is stored) deleting b9s/fastboot. This happens 100% of the time if you launch a 3DS download play game, but may happen in some other situations as well. The only way to recover CFW would be to follow the guide again, but if for some reason the user has a modified system title that only works with CFW, they will be bricked unless they use ntrboot to install CFW again.
    You should edit the OP saying this risk is present.

This is not a ban, otherwise you wouldn't be able to get into the online menu at all. The only thing Nintendo is able to detect (this doesn't mean they are detecting it) is people using an unused online region. However due to a bug even people without CFW can join this region, so they can't take the risk of banning everyone in this region as they would ban a lot of people with legit consoles. Also, a small group of beta testers were playing in this region for months before ctww was made public, and so far (1 year after) no bans have been reported.

Last edited by PabloMK7, May 27, 2020
  8. LinusRG

Canada
    The 3ds isn't even getting more updates anyways. Haven't you noticed that Nintendo used to release a 3ds firmware alongside a switch firmware? Well, 3 switch versions have been released since then and no 3ds updates. Besides yah obviously don't update in this mode.

9. PabloMK7

PabloMK7 Red Yoshi! ^ω^
    Developer

Spain
    You are getting it wrong. The 3ds tries to install the stock firmware into firm0, even if the console is offline and/or the console is in the latest version.
    It is okay to launch the firmware to test if it's working, as pointed out in the cfw uninstall guide. But not for continued use.
    Again, I'd recommend putting the notice in the OP if you don't want to end up with the same reputation as some youtubers got for bricking people consoles on accident.

Last edited by PabloMK7, May 27, 2020
  10. LinusRG

Canada
    I did not know that. So then what is the firm 2 slot used for?

11. PabloMK7

PabloMK7 Red Yoshi! ^ω^
    Developer

Spain
    If the firm0 is corrupted, firm1 is used instead.

E1ite007 and LinusRG like this.
  12. LinusRG

Canada
    So in theory what would happen if the stock payload was in firm1 and b9s was in firm 2?

13. PabloMK7

PabloMK7 Red Yoshi! ^ω^
    Developer

Spain
    There is no firm2, unless you are referring to firm0 and firm1. As far as I know, both partitions have the same contents.

E1ite007 likes this.
  14. LinusRG

Canada
    Also does luma 3ds have to patch the kernel each time it starts?

15. PabloMK7

PabloMK7 Red Yoshi! ^ω^
    Developer

Spain
    Luma patches the kernel and adds extra functionality to it.

E1ite007 and LinusRG like this.
  16. LinusRG

Canada
    And does boot9strap boot luma and luma boots that unnamed firm file? If so why just not modify that .firm file straight up to make booting even faster?

17. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    This is not safe at all. There's no FIRM protection in place when booting like this, and if the console is updated B9S will be wiped. Moreover, if there was any risk of installed CIAs being detected by Nintendo (there isn't), that risk doesn't go away from booting stock OFW, they are still there. The system just detects the invalid signatures and refuses to launch them, which makes it more suspicious as normally the system thinks all is fine. There is a reason Luma3DS doesn't already have an OFW mode, because it's pointless and unsafe.

18. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Cubi™ :P

Antarctica
    Neat guide but not gonna lie, it’s really pointless. Nintendo hasn’t banned CFW users outside of that one ban wave (and we are still not sure if CFW caused that.) Outside of that one day, Nintendo hasn’t banned anyone outside of cheating, playing popular games like Pokémon before release, and abuse of Miiverse. There are no risk playing games online while running a CFW nor even a risk of using CIA games. Not to mention your guide actually makes the system less safe by disabling all of the protections through CFW, like the FIRM protection.
    His intentions may have been good but his guide is still harmful and a result of ignorance, which needs to be pointed out. Using the advice in this guide could risk removing a CFW or worse, bricking a system and all because the OP doesn't realize that CFW doesn't get you banned. People following this guide most likely don't realize that they are putting their system in harm's way by doing this because they are trusting this will make their system safer and less likely to get banned.

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, May 27, 2020
  19. LinusRG
    This message by LinusRG has been removed from public view by Flame, May 27, 2020.
    May 27, 2020 Show
  20. E1ite007

E1ite007 Weird avatar guy

Mexico
    Relax dude...

LinusRG and AmandaRose like this.
  21. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Cubi™ :P

Antarctica
    Chill dude, I am not here to be confrontational. I am just chiming in as a trusted user of the 3DS hacking community.

peteruk and E1ite007 like this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Safemode, without, getting

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.