How To Do PC work on the side??

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Phillyman, Oct 5, 2007.

Oct 5, 2007
  1. Phillyman
    OP

Member Phillyman GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I need $690 for my dream of being able to play Halo 3 to come true. Unfortunately I am in the progress of putting all my extra income into paying off my Bestbuy card......Anyways I calculated how much it will cost for me to be able to play Halo 3

$479 Elite Xbox
    $50 Xbox Live
    $50 Halo 3
    $60 Service Plan
    $50 Extra Controller

So anyways I am thinking of offering to go and fix peoples computers to get a few extra dollars. So I know that Bestbuy charges $59 just for a Diagnostic (just to look at it, not to fix it). So using that I am thinking that I could possibly get this money just from doing a few jobs

Maybe $100 Per Software Fix.......Meaning as long as its not a hardware problem.....I will reinstall windows, get rid of viruses/spyware , backup files, reinstall protection....etc..

I would only need to find 7 people in the Washington DC area that need a computer fixed......So anyone have any ideas about how to go about this? Maybe draw up some flyer's at Kinkos or get some buisness cards made up? Also anyone know of a place I can get a disclaimer for them to sign before I work on there PC.

I am not looking to start up a business......just need to do a few computer jobs to get some $$ for a 360 and Halo 3 [​IMG]

I did work for GeekSquad for 4 years (and i used to rip people for $300-$400 for a backup and re installation of Windows XP) [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    Just whore your self out to some fat chicks for 50 bucks each [​IMG] . You would only need to do it 14 times *shudders*

3. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    You need a better dream, and a better font, and an A+ certification. Oh, and much lower prices.

4. Phillyman
    OP

United States

LOL....

1) After 7000+ games of Halo 2....I need to Play Halo 3
    2) I do have my A+ Certification ....since 2002
    3) I worked for Bestbuy and charged poor saps $400 to get a term paper off a computer that wouldnt boot to XP
    4) [​IMG]

5. hanman

Member hanman I'm a pretty lucky guy

United States
    you might have better luck charging by the hour. personally, i charge $65 an hour for onsite repairs. i also markup any hardware used by 20%. most people around here seem to think that's a pretty good deal. as far as advertising goes, just put an add in the classified section of your local paper. they're cheap and when i run them, i have to turn down customers because i'm so busy.

6. Phillyman
    OP

United States

Only need a few jobs......Plus the area around DC is laced with rich people who have no time to deal with computers......So I am sure I can find a few.....Hell my father had a guy from work bring me 2 Dell Towers to reimage, and I charged him $140.....it was only 10 minutes of touch time between the two of them

[​IMG]

Thats what I chose

7. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    Next time, charge him by the hour, and take your time! [​IMG]

But, ya know, you should go around to different offices and workplaces in your town and I'm sure they'd have something for you to repair or fix.
    Just advertise, you're bound to find some people with computer problems that need assistance.

8. Switchy

Member Switchy GBAtemp Fan

Belgium
    Shouldn't you first try to pay off all of your debt? Before buying (not so necessary) expensive things?

Just a thought..

I don't get people who WANT credit.

9. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    I change $20 an hour and barely get any work