1. iVirtualPlays

OP iVirtualPlays Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Note: You will need advanced soldering skills and equipment to be able to pull off this repair.

Hi, i decided to upgrade the NEC Tokin capacitors in my working Backwards Compatible NTSC J PS3 CECHA12 console. That i imported from Japan, not only does this PS3 play PS1 games but it can also play PS2 games flawless due to the hardware of the PS1/PS2 being included. The Phat PS3 is an easy system to softmod which allows for the use of emulators and other applications like web man which allows for the ability to back up your games, a temperature monitor, as well the ability to increase the fan speed. I replaced the old 60gb hard drive with an SSD. This should improve load times. As well as a Delid to replace the old thermal paste with Arctic MX4 underneath the IHS, Delidding is very difficult to do and one little slip or a scratch that is deep enough can be the end of your PS3 unless the trace is repairable. I recommend practicing on an old CPU or a faulty 80gb PS3.

If you don’t already know the true cause of the Yellow Light of Death is the failing NEC Tokin capacitors. All of the other repairs such as Reballing, Heatgun/Oven fix are all snake oil lies. With the PS3, all your really doing is applying heat to the NEC TOKIN capacitors making it work temporarily, Louis Rossman goes into further detail. And states it's either a dead chip or with 80% of the YLOD PS3's it's those awful Nec Tokin capacitors.

This repair can further be proven in later model Slim models like the PS3 Super Slim which has Tantalum capacitors rather than the NEC Tokins. I know from experience that reballing/ heatgun fixes just don't work and is a complete waste of time and money. Here is a true fix for the PS3 Phat and early Slim models. I recommend using 32x 330uf Tantalum Capacitors and 470uf for the Phat models.

The tutorial is here: https://www.psx-place.com/threads/tutorial-nec-tokin-capacitors-replacement-ylod-fix.25260/

Not a tutorial but an interesting video

What i’m going to do is open this up and replace those NEC TOKIN capacitors with x32 Kemet Branded 470uf 6.3v Tantalum Capacitors. Which i purchased for £50 from Mouser and some thick well-insulated Kynar wire such as guitar wire to connect the plus rails. I do not recommend eBay when shopping for caps and thermal paste, and even soldering equipment like solder wire since there are a lot of fakes being sold on eBay. I recommend verifying before purchasing on eBay just to be sure. I use trusted electronic parts sites like DigiKey, Mouser, Farnell etc and Amazon. Brands like Kemet, Panasonic, AVX are very good and should last a very long time. This article gives you the neccasry info to sport a fake capacitor: https://www.electronicproducts.com/how-to-spot-counterfeit-passive-components/#:~:text=A well-known manufacturer of,embedded within a single housing.

1 - VxYTHk6.jpg

I started with the removal of the NEC TOKIN caps. The only way to to remove this is to pick it apart with precision tools like a paint knife and a craft knife.

6 - qu2rs8b.jpg

Be very careful when working on the motherboard. Otherwise you can accidentally break off some of those small components and scratch a trace. Like this tiny capacitor which i had to solder back on. They’re very easy to lose.
    7 - 7rSUlY0.jpg

I then desoldered the leftover parts from the Tokin caps.
    9 - m7U389P.jpg

Now the pads are ready for the new caps. For some reason, i thought this would make my job easier but it didn’t. I took rubbing with a Fiber Glass pen too far. And did not make my soldering as easy i ended up installing the caps diagonally.

14 - 3YzaXwW.jpg

I recommend installing it like this. My method just isn't as clean and was more time-consuming.

13 - J1W73GX.jpg

The end result. If your system doesn't work. Or some games cause issues. You will have double-check for any loose solder joint. Make sure to use high-quality low melting point solder like Weller, Kester etc.
    4 - NkA1UHR.jpg 5 - TvkVfdi.jpg

Delidding guide. Tools i recommend or fishing wire/lcd seperator wire which i hear is even better for removing the IHS.
    2 - ek43Yoh.jpg

Since the Paint Knife were too thick. I had trim it down with a file.

4 - OBgIvJt.jpg

I also bent my paint knife to make delidding easier
    6 - 7o4OgIA.jpg
    3 - LhdofPj.jpg

I started with the RSX GPU Chip and used my rework station to soften the adhesive.
    7 - bLdpKNb.jpg

And it popped off with little to no effort.
    8 - ZXjlqdU.jpg

Now for the most difficult part which is the CELL CPU. But i made a mistake by putting it in through the corner and ended up scratching 2 traces on the CELL i will be repairing those damaged traces. I highly recommend starting from the bottom side since there are no traces there.

10 - dTO8PDv.jpg

The temps on my A012 Unit after an hour of gameplay in Skyrim.
    np8rjq6ww4p51.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by iVirtualPlays, Oct 13, 2020
  2. VashTS

VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    i can confirm - i had a ylod phat boi, replaced the capacitors and it actually worked. the job was a little tedious but not horrible. removal sucked.

i had 2 more to attempt but sadly had to trash them as i moved across the country and didn't want to keep them.

3. iVirtualPlays

OP iVirtualPlays Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Yes, removing does suck but there is another method that doesn't involve a knife. Just remove the cover from the NEC TOKIN and
    then from what i hear the rework station should do the rest. Sad to hear about those 2 units. We should do our best to preserve a system like this. I don't think Sony will make another system like this. With hardware-level backwards compatibility.

4. xdarkmario

xdarkmario Philosopher

United States
    Man if i still had my dead 60gb ps3 hanging around id totally...NOT EVEN TRY this, that looks next LV difficult
    very fascinating though

5. iVirtualPlays

OP iVirtualPlays Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    It is difficult but the delid isn’t necessary and services are starting to pop up.

6. xdarkmario

xdarkmario Philosopher

United States
    id pay someone to do it. i would have loved to preserve my god ole BC 60gb ps3

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Replacement), Yellow, Delid