How to delete homebrew off my wii and get it back to normal ????

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Rmjd2555, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Rmjd2555
    OP

Rmjd2555 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 15, 2017
    Canada
    I bought a wii off some dude, it worked fine for a few years but now it's asking for a systems update, but it won't update, so I phoned Nintendo support and we came to the conclusion that it has homebrew hacks on it. I don't even know what that means. But all in all I cannot do anything with the Wii, no Netflix, can't play any games without a system update, but can't update because of the homebrew, can someone walk me threw how to get it back to original programming? If at all possible?

2. TherealDarknes

TherealDarknes GBAtemp Fan

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    nintendo support is full of idiots as far as i know the servers for updating are down and thats why it can't update also homebrew wouldn't even interfere with updates

TheArcuzHunter likes this.
  3. JasonH

JasonH Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 28, 2016
    United States
    Do a factory reset in the settings menu Then try updating it again.
    You will lose any virtual console games you have downloaded and only factory Channels will be reinstalled. If there are any that you would like to save go into the channels menu in settings and click each one and put them on an SD card.

Last edited by JasonH, Feb 13, 2017
  4. SonicMC

SonicMC GBAtemp Regular

Dec 6, 2007
    United States
    Last edited by SonicMC, Feb 14, 2017
  5. trakker1

trakker1 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2017
    Is this safe to do though? I've read members saying never reset the console once a mod has been done.

I'm in a similar position as the OP, I have a Wii that has been letterbomb hacked and had some IOS's installed along with the homebrew channel and some WADs and I would like to reset it for re-sale.

I don't have any backup and although bootmii was installed the console was never backed up, however there's not been any other hacks done.

PS: sorry for jumping in on the OP's thread but was just about to start one and seem's logical to both get help at the same time.

Last edited by trakker1, Feb 14, 2017
  6. JasonH

JasonH Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 28, 2016
    United States
    Ive done it before because i couldnt get Netflix to work without an update and it seemed the only way to do it was the factory reset and yes it worked. However im unfamiliar with whether this will work or break a system with letterbomb or Bannerbomb because i used Bathaxx with Lego Batman to exploit my Wii and after i did the reset and updated
    i just pulled Lego batman back out and rehacked everything and then i was able to use netflix again.

trakker1 likes this.
  7. JasonH

JasonH Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 28, 2016
    United States
  8. TherealDarknes

TherealDarknes GBAtemp Fan

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    its worth more sold modded