How to copy protected Wii saves to vWii?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Dante4001, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Dante4001
    OP

Dante4001 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 11, 2011
    United States
    I used this guide to hack my vWii.
    Which program shall i use in order to copy protected Wii saves to vWii? Do I have to install some additional software on my vWii in order to do that?

P.S. problem solved. If you want to copy protected saves from Wii to another Wii or WiiU, you have to instal priiloader, access the priiloader menu by pushing the power button, while holding the reset button untill the priiloader menu comes up, install the "remove nocopy protection" hack, and only then you can copy protected saves from wii to sd card.

2. TyBlood13

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    From my understanding, the official Wii to Wii U transfer tool copies any and all saves, including ones that are copy protected like Brawl and City Folk

3. thekarter104

thekarter104 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    Well, that's with the transfer tool which also deletes your old Wii stuff.

I'm also wondering the same if you can copy a save from Wii to SD card and then too Wii U.
    I'd like to do that with Mario Kart Wii. I have the original disc so the Wii U can verify that. Don't know if it's possible to copy the save to there.

4. alcab

alcab GBAtemp Regular

Nov 22, 2005
    ozl likes this.
  5. Dante4001
    OP

Dante4001 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 11, 2011
    United States
    When I try to "compress" SSBB save file i get "Exception (DSI) occured"

6. drfsupercenter

drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    Couldn't you just use Priiloader to remove the no-copy flag, then copy it to your SD normally and restore?

I know with Datel's Powersaves, they have a 100% completed Brawl save (which I used due to being lazy B-)), and it was formatted so that you could copy it from the SD to your internal memory just fine. As soon as you start the game and it re-saves, the nocopy flag comes back.

7. Dante4001
    OP

Dante4001 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 11, 2011
    United States

So if i want to copy files that cause "Exception (DSI) occured" can be copied using Priiloader function?

8. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, DRF has it right.
    Saves are generally only copy-protected if you went on Wi-Fi or if it's tied to DLC somehow.

Use Priiloader, StartPatch, or other favorite SM patcher to enable copying protected saves.
    Nothing special has to be done to the WiiU to allow these saves to be copied back.

9. Dante4001
    OP

Dante4001 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 11, 2011
    United States

So i have to remove protection on the Wii, then copy to SD card, and only then copy to vWii?

10. Dante4001
    OP

Dante4001 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 11, 2011
    United States
    Case is closed

11. Elusivo

Elusivo Shinobu Molester

Jun 21, 2013
    Portugal
    Is there any windows program or something to remove the no-copy flag from saves already in the sdcard? I have some saves on my sd card but sold my wii ages ago...

If there's no program, maybe it's even something easy that can be done with a hex editor? Can any body compare the same save file before and after removing the no-copy flag to see what's changed?

12. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    Well, you could open the save in Dolphin, navigate to where the decrypted save is stored, delete the no-copy file, then repackage it as a standard Wii save.

13. mindscarp

mindscarp Member

Newcomer
    Jan 7, 2011
    France
    Did you try it yourself? I did and it still doesn't work. I used this method with Dolphin:

The Wii U does allow you to click on the transfer/copy buttons once you've removed the nocopy flag, it starts the process, but then says something like “the copy may have failed.” (and indeed it failed).

14. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Use extract (or whatever it says) instead of compress, that will save uncompressed copies to your SD.
    You can batch backup/restore all saves at once with an option in the menu.

Not the case for me. It ignored a ton of my Wii saves including my Brawl save. Good thing I had a NAND backup.

15. TyBlood13

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    That's odd. I had no problem transferring my Brawl save, which may or may not also be a Action Replay save (I just wanted all the characters, I promise!)...

How big of a SD card did you use? I used a 16GB on mine even though it shouldn't matter since the Wii NAND is only 512MB

16. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I used a spare card I had for the transfer. It was either 2 or 8 GB. Anyway, the transfer process would surely show an error if there wasn't enough space?

17. TyBlood13

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    See if you can run the transfer again. Maybe it'll get the saves a second time around

Also, I sent you a friend request on the Wii U!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice