Not open for further replies.

szymon170

Pr0FessiuNal HelPeR wiTh HaxXX
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I've got an SNES game in .smc format and I need to convert it to .bin file. Please, just don't ask me why, I just need to do that. And it was asked before. If you know how to do that, then just answer me.

This can now be closed.
I'm just dumb and I didn't browsed properly. And I was too fast. Now I know how to inject SNES ROMs to the 3DS VC. There are many threads for it.
I feel like an ignorant douchebag now for not searching this slowly.
Thanks you for your answers.

Last edited by szymon170,

szymon170

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Umm you could be more polite about it. :huh:

Click here
Sorry, but I'm just tired of replies like "why?" or "you don't need to do that". If I ask on a forum, then I want an answer, not another question that won't help anyone.
But thanks, I'll check it out.

EDIT:
I've searched that in Google before asking that question, but that doesn't help me at all. None of the results helped me.
That's why I'm asking for help here.

Last edited by szymon170,
Reactions: spotanjo3

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Umm you could be more polite about it. :huh:

Click here
You'll be glad to know that LMGTFY is utterly useless as most of the results on there talk about SMDs, which are for Sega MD/Genesis, instead of SMCs.

I've got an SNES game in .smc format and I need to convert it to .bin file. Don't ask me why, I just need to do that. If you know how to do that, then just answer me.
Sorry OP, but "bin" is horribly generic and it's also not often used in the SNES emulation community - you'll have to tell us what you need it for, if you want some help.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, but I'm just tired of replies like "why?" or "you don't need to do that". If I ask on a forum, then I want an answer, not another question that won't help anyone.
But thanks, I'll check it out.
Well i can understand that. But you do want a answer so i mean being polite helps. :)
Each forum is different and has different people, I think. So is different experience each place you go. Can't assume everyone is bad based on previous experiences. If you check romhacking.net they should have a tool for SNES Roms if you need one. To be honest i didn't know snes roms could be played in BIN format :P

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You'll be glad to know that LMGTFY is utterly useless as most of the results on there talk about SMDs, which are for Sega MD/Genesis, instead of SMCs.

That is what i was thinking, Bin files are for uncompressing Genesis roms and for like Iso with BIN and CUE files so i didn't know SNES can also use them too. That why i was confused.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well i can understand that. But you do want a answer so i mean being polite helps. :)
I'll butt in here - OP is not a native speaker and I know that some languages usually lack courtesy forms (Spanish, for example - Italian is another one) when speaking normally.

What you perceive as "rudeness" could just be a literal translation of standard Polish phrasing ;)

That is what i was thinking, Bin files are for uncompressing Genesis roms and for like Iso with BIN and CUE files so i didn't know SNES can also use them too. That why i was confused.
Bin means just "binary", which in this case means a jumble of data, probably without an header. Still I wonder what kind of SNES-related thingy requires such an obscure format.

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

szymon170

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Okay, but now I think that even if I will convert smc to bin it won't help me much.
I've decrypted 3DS Super Mario World from my dumped .cia file, and then extracted it. I've browsed through all the files that were here and found one file called data.bin. I think that it most likely contains the ROM of the game. I want to replace it and test if it'll work. If it would, then we wouldn't need emulators for New 3DS.

But now I think that I may be wrong, because I don't seem to find the emulator files, so this may as well be the emulator. But on the other hand, it seems too small (it's just 626,7 kB file).

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll butt in here - OP is not a native speaker and I know that some languages usually lack courtesy forms (Spanish, for example - Italian is another one) when speaking normally.

What you perceive as "rudeness" could just be a literal translation of standard Polish phrasing ;)
Okay, i'll aceept that, language barriers are a existing problem and will acknowledge it. :)

I do find it funny how all my bin files on my pc are associated with Snes9s emulator and not sure how that happen. I always click it by mistake and try loading the file into the snes emulator and crashing, which is annoying. :P

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
well the thing is if you explain why you want to do it people may have better advice for you, but as it stands simply renaming .smc to .bin should be what you want i assume....but seeing as nobody knows what it is your trying to achieve we don't truly know

EDIT: ok well now you explain what exactly it is your trying to do we can help, there is guides and tools for making snes injections, afaik nintendo have their own custom header setup for snes roms, so you will need to use a purpose built tool that converts to snes VC format specifically

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, but now I think that even if I will convert smc to bin it won't help me much.
I've decrypted 3DS Super Mario World from my dumped .cia file, and then extracted it. I've browsed through all the files that were here and found one file called data.bin. I think that it most likely contains the ROM of the game. I want to replace it and test if it'll work. If it would, then we wouldn't need emulators for New 3DS.

But now I think that I may be wrong, because I don't seem to find the emulator files, so this may as well be the emulator. But on the other hand, it seems too small (it's just 626,7 kB file).
Are you trying to use a rom hack on virtual console or something?

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Wait wut - I think you're slightly mixing up stuff. SMC is a SNES-rom format, the 3DS uses entirely different formats.

Also, you've extracted the contents of the game - it's just like opening up a Zip file. The ROM is usually the entire file "unzipped".

szymon170

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I know how to be polite, but I just typed quickly and were more "strict". I forgot about typing "Please".

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe he's trying do a repro cartridge. and trying to flash the ROM on it. if this is what you are trying to do, Snes games are just .bin files renamed to .smc to avoid confussion.

So by just renaming the .smc to .bin, should be ok.

szymon170

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Wait wut - I think you're slightly mixing up stuff. SMC is a SNES-rom format, the 3DS uses entirely different formats.

Also, you've extracted the contents of the game - it's just like opening up a Zip file. The ROM is usually the entire file "unzipped".

EDIT: OOOH, I GOT IT, YOU'RE TRYING TO DO VC SNES INJECTION
But there needs to ROM file somewhere in the game files, otherwise the VC wouldn't work.

szymon170

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Oooh, I got it. You're trying to inject another ROM into SMW. That's called "Virtual Console injection" and has been known for ages.

And yes, it does work well with many games.
Nobody has done a tutorial for it, so I thought that I would do that myself.
So, if you think about it. SNES VC injection wasn't done that many times before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/K-Gqyv0gkHc?si=nGlIcg7Lr7OPfc4a