How to convert nds files to cia files? There's a few DS games i wanna play on my homebrew 2DS

WhistleBlue

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Title, about to buy a homebrew New 2DS XL, already have several cia files of 3DS games i wanna play waiting. But i've found that the one DS game i wanna play is an nds file, and i dunno if the 2DS will run it by default. I'm also assuming that converting it to a cia file will even allow me to play it.

For those that are curious, the game in question is the english patched version of a japanese game. I emulate the game just fine on my phone so i know it works.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Title, about to buy a homebrew New 2DS XL, already have several cia files of 3DS games i wanna play waiting. But i've found that the one DS game i wanna play is an nds file, and i dunno if the 2DS will run it by default. I'm also assuming that converting it to a cia file will even allow me to play it.

For those that are curious, the game in question is the english patched version of a japanese game. I emulate the game just fine on my phone so i know it works.
What game?

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
As godreborn said you can use TWiLight Menu++ or there's also forwarders (YANBF/NDSForwarder) if you want to have them on your HOME Menu. It's not possible to directly convert most* DS games to CIA, so you instead need TWiLight or forwarders.

*DSiWare are the exception to this, for DSiWare you're also able to play them from TWiLight but if you want they can be installed directly without a forwarder by converting to CIA or simply installing the NDS using GodMode9.

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really related, but FYI: Patched roms often use more resources or file size than the real hardware can support, so running in an emulator isn't a guarantee that it'll run on real hardware.

Reactions: Takokeshi

Pin1988

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
As godreborn said you can use TWiLight Menu++ or there's also forwarders (YANBF/NDSForwarder) if you want to have them on your HOME Menu. It's not possible to directly convert most* DS games to CIA, so you instead need TWiLight or forwarders.

*DSiWare are the exception to this, for DSiWare you're also able to play them from TWiLight but if you want they can be installed directly without a forwarder by converting to CIA or simply installing the NDS using GodMode9.
This pretty much sums it up perfectly!

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Owning one is something you won't ever regret.
TBH, there seem to be occasional reports of people suggesting their flashcart won't work quite right unless they stick in a piece of paper or something to ensure it makes proper contact in the cartridge slot. It makes me a little wary of damaging something.. But I'm probably just being paranoid.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TBH, there seem to be occasional reports of people suggesting their flashcart won't work quite right unless they stick in a piece of paper or something to ensure it makes proper contact in the cartridge slot. It makes me a little wary of damaging something.. But I'm probably just being paranoid.
Legitimate concern. I've had probably half a dozen DS/3DS consoles, using several different brands of flash carts, and some of them DO have more play than others, but the contacts are pretty rugged. Even if you do have to wedge a small piece of paper in, it isn't going to touch any of the contacts anyway. I've never personally had any issues.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never encountered this issue, but I will say that the super card dstwo is a pita to remove from the n3ds xl. it doesn't appear to be as large as a normal ds game or maybe it's just the spring mechanism that's the problem with this cart or maybe all ds games are like this. 3ds games have a hook like thing that differentiates them from a ds cart, probably to prevent stupid people from putting a 3ds game in a ds expecting it to run. anyway, I have to physically stick my fingers into the cartridge slot to remove it. I no longer use the cart on the 3ds. it's in my ds lite now, which serves me better I guess.

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Happens with legit cartridges too, caused by excessive cartridge changes making the pins lose springiness.
I've never encountered this issue, but I will say that the super card dstwo is a pita to remove from the n3ds xl. it doesn't appear to be as large as a normal ds game or maybe it's just the spring mechanism that's the problem with this cart or maybe all ds games are like this. 3ds games have a hook like thing that differentiates them from a ds cart, probably to prevent stupid people from putting a 3ds game in a ds expecting it to run. anyway, I have to physically stick my fingers into the cartridge slot to remove it. I no longer use the cart on the 3ds. it's in my ds lite now, which serves me better I guess.
I had the same issue on a 3DS XL, had to saw off part of the cartridge to reach the screw behind it to take the console apart and loosen the slot.

Reactions: godreborn

chief18

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hey there, sorry for my question, but can't I convert a normal .nds game into a DSiWare one, in order to install it?

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
however wouldn't be the same thing
Well. What ever you think your wanting in that head of yours. It aint gonna heppen this way. NDS games are either going to be ran under twilight menu. As a NDS forwarder, or having the actual game and running it from the game slot.

chief18

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I wasn't polemical about that.
I was just saying that a forwarder wouldn't be the same thing of a .cia converted (wherever would be possible doing this) or might a Dsiware just saying)
Well. What ever you think your wanting in that head of yours. It aint gonna heppen this way. NDS games are either going to be ran under twilight menu. As a NDS forwarder, or having the actual game and running it from the game slot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [louder cricket sounds]