How to convert English Audio in English games to Japanese?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by ZenchiZennou, May 16, 2008.

1. ZenchiZennou
    OP

Newcomer ZenchiZennou Member

Belgium
    Hi everyone!

I was looking around in the comments section of the new releases and noticed some people talking about how they somehow extracted files from Japanese games and put them in the English version because they don't like dubs.

I have the following questions:

1) How does this process work? What software do I need and is the process difficult? Do the games work properly afterwards or will there be some problems?

2) Does this work on all games where there is a Japanese and English verion or only with certain games?

I learned about this method when looking in the The World Ends With You thread in the comments section. It'd be nice if there was a list of the games that support this conversion somewhere.

Games I might be interested in:

Etrian Odyssey
    Izuna
    Luminous Arc
    Puyo Pop Fever 1 and 2
    TWEWY

Well actually most ATLUS games and other JRPGs. I don't understand why they don't give the user the option to select which audio they want to hear. That can't be too difficult now can it? Or is the file size the problem?

Thanks for your help in advance!

And by the way English dubs FTL!!!

Though I should just learn Japanese and stop complaining. Sorry for my little rant... -.-'

2. Talaria

Member Talaria ...

New Zealand
    1- You need a program called DSlazy or DSbuff. Which you then explore/unpack and look through the files of the rom until you find a file with the extension .sdat ( some games have a different file which contains the data, too tired to find for you sorry). You then open up the english rom and replace the .sdat file with the one from the Japanese rom. And then select "pack" to compress the roms data back Although this sounds easy in theory...

2- Does not work with the majority of games, although it sounds easy many english releases of Japanese games have tweaks and patches/additions to gameplay done to them which results in errors whent the sound dats are swapped. But its worth a try. Test with a emulator like No$gba rather than risking it with your flashcart and ds (most likely won't do anything)

Good Luck.

3. HernanZh

Member HernanZh GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    You wouldn't need it for Puyo Puyo Fever 1 and 2. 1 already has the option to switch to Japanese in the options and 2 doesn't even have an English version.

4. ZenchiZennou
    OP

Belgium
    Sorry about that. There is indeed no English release of Puyo Poyo Fever 2 so a translation would be cool. ^^ As for Puyo Puyo Fever it does have both languages and audio incorporated, but when I switch to English the audio is English and can't be set to Japanese if I'm correct. Or is there some trick I'm unawere of? This is for the DS version from Atlus becuase the GBA version only has Japanese audio.

EDIT:

By the way thanks for your hard work on Puyo Puyo! 15th Anniversary edition! Keep up the good work!!! ^^

5. HyoImowano

Member HyoImowano GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I have undubbed several games including Bleach and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, it really is just as easy as Talaria said, unpack the US and J versions of the game, then dig through the J version and find a file ending with SDAT or any other file that looks like audio such as kenshiro_voice.dat, copy the J one over to the same place in the US release, pack the file, and you're done. All of the packing/unpacking is done by DSLazy, it's just a matter of clicking a button, so don't worry about that being complicated or anything. Also as Talaria said it's very hit and miss. Bleach had some changes made to it (effectively making it Bleach 1.5) but undubbing still worked, some sound effects were just missing is all. Other games won't boot at all or may get errors later on, but it's always worth a shot.

6. ZenchiZennou
    OP

Belgium
    Thank you very much! This is the kind of input I'm looking for.

Good to know about Bleach being playable after the conversion. So it's not perfect but all functionality is intact? And FFCC works perfectly I assume?

Any input on any other game you have tried before is welcome!

[​IMG]

7. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
  8. ZenchiZennou
    OP

Belgium
    Thanks! Your links are very helpful! Looks like there where topics on the subject. I guess I'm not that good at searching things on the forum.

Has anyone used the conversion for The World Ends With You? Tomorrow I will give it a try and see how I fare. ^^

Again thank you for your help!

EDIT:

I'm willing to use this thread to make a list of the games where the audio conversion works just fine. So if you have any experience with games you used the undub method please do share with us!

9. jordanlp

Member jordanlp GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah but this process is for ROM's........ Very disapointing

10. nitrodude150

Member nitrodude150 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Wait, which is better? DSLAZY or DSBUFF? [​IMG]

EDIT: NVM, I figured it out, DS buff is [​IMG]

11. ZenchiZennou
    OP

Belgium
    I've been experimenting a little this weekend and all I have to say is that it's indeed quite easy to do the conversion once you find the files needed. I also noticed that most of the games that are supporting this conversion have some comments in their release thread about whether or not it's possible to do the undub.

The games I tested and which seem to work fine are TWEWY and Bleach. I didn't run into major trouble so far, but I didn't really test the games extensively eiter.

I suggest people looking for more information on a particular game to look in the release thread of that game and see if there is anything written about it.

Thanks for your help! ^^

Well the only way to get results for the actual game cards is to complain to the gaming companies and hope that they will listen somehow. Which I doubt. It seems that the majority of people are satisfied with dubs. The minority who loves the original audio will be looking into importing the Japanese cards or will resort to tactics described in here.