How to convert a bunch (arround 14 gb) of .flv videos to .avi or .mp4?

• Thread starter Azerus_Kun
  • Start date
  • Views 1,450
  • Replies 4
A

Azerus_Kun

i have like 14 gb of videos in .flv, i'd like to have them in a more modern format such as .avi or .mp4, but all converters i've tried either crash, freeze or just give a black video with no sound

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Wondershare UniConverter is very reliable,fast (uses GPU´s Encoding Abilities too if supported) and stable (Windows 10 x86).
If your CPU/GPU is powerful enough you can convert up to +10 Videos at the same Time. ^_^

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those are really just container formats. The codecs are the important part (you can check the codecs of video files with either MediaInfo or open them in VLC Media Player and press Ctrl+J). Luckily, there's an easy way to change the container format with ffmpeg without re-encoding them and losing quality.

Here's the command for a single file. This will create a new file and leave the original untouched:

ffmpeg -i video.flv -codec copy video.mp4

I'm sure there's some way to do a whole folder at once but I usually just make a batch file with the ones I want to convert.

elBenyo

Wad of meat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another free Windows option is Format Factory and it can do batches, but be real and use handbrake. I have a pi 3 that runs handbrake all day long and converts videos in placebo quality, takes forever but files are small and run fine from my pi4 Plex server. Oh some one mentioned VLC? She has a built-in converter too, Google it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/hYkEl-3x92A?si=JSDoEc2QCDOrtimz