Hacking how to compile retroarch for wii U ?

Cecilmax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello guys,

does someone know a link where to download a devkitpro installation ready to use to compile retroarch for wii U ? I have downloaded devkitpro with devkitppc r29 but I must miss somes libs and somes variables environment because I have errors of compilation.

thanks for your help :) I am trying to compile under windows 7 64 bit. Until now I can compile the core no problem, I have the file .a to link but I just getting errors when I try to compile retroarch with the core..

Cecilmax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
but... it's optimized to run better on the wii. what's the point in trying to compile it for wii u when you can use the proper mame'03+ core on it.
It have some bugs fix for sounds issue, the sound issue still there on the other cores..

Cecilmax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
what i mean is, that mame version is using functions which do not exist in the wiiu retroarch lib. which is why you can't simply compile it for wiiu without changing any code.
Aaah ok. I thought it was because it have conditional compilation in the makefile for wii u..

Cecilmax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
well, they just didn't remove make rules for other platforms
Im not sure because I can compile the core for wii u, that part that Zi am having trouble it is to link it to retroarch and the errors I get it seem I just dont have the correct version of somes libs..

ShroomKing

Somebody
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im not sure because I can compile the core for wii u, that part that Zi am having trouble it is to link it to retroarch and the errors I get it seem I just dont have the correct version of somes libs..
so it compiled and you have an .rpx and/or an .elf file?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

if you have an .rpx file you can just run it with retroarch and see what happens...

anyway, a good way to test if you have all needed libs for wii u compilation of libretro cores is to clone the official repo(
https://github.com/libretro/mame2003-plus-libretro) or any other libretro repo and see whether or not you still get errors with it.

the DK toolchain updates often break stuff, too. so if you want you could also try downgrading devkitPPC to an older version and see if that's the cause :)

Last edited by ShroomKing,

Cecilmax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so it compiled and you have an .rpx and/or an .elf file?

if you have an .rpx file you can just run it with retroarch and see what happens...

anyway, a good way to test if you have all needed libs for wii u compilation of libretro cores is to clone the official repo(
https://github.com/libretro/mame2003-plus-libretro) or any other libretro repo and see whether or not you still get errors with it.

the DK toolchain updates often break stuff, too. so if you want you could also try downgrading devkitPPC to an older version and see if that's the cause :)

No I dont have the rpx file, just the .a file of compiled core and I try to compile retroarch with it :)

markwkidd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No I dont have the rpx file, just the .a file of compiled core and I try to compile retroarch with it :)

I think that the latest version of mame2003-plus should already be included in the "nightly" WiiU RetroArch version. Does the WiiU not get RetroArch nightlies on the buildbot?

markwkidd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah hah. I can't help you with your question, at least not in the way you asked.

I am in a position to add improved this code to the official mame2003-plus repository, however. Do you know why no one has submitted it to us as a PR yet?

If there's some way that we, the mame2003-plus developers, could help bring in fixes to the official version then we will definitely try to do so.

Cecilmax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ah hah. I can't help you with your question, at least not in the way you asked.

I am in a position to add improved this code to the official mame2003-plus repository, however. Do you know why no one has submitted it to us as a PR yet?

If there's some way that we, the mame2003-plus developers, could help bring in fixes to the official version then we will definitely try to do so.

Ok ;) If you look at this post: https://gbatemp.net/threads/mame-2003-plus.499497/

Wiimpathy fixed somes sound issues for games that use m92 driver.. it have fixed two files usrintrf.c and cheat.c and add a flag:
added -fsigned-char to the PLATCFLAGS

theses fix the sounds issues with many game like hook, baseball bat man, blade master, etc.

Does your repository is mame 2003-plus or mame2003-plus (experimental) ? in the retroarch rpx file I downloaded from the website in the Wii U I have mame 2003-plus named (experimental) ..

markwkidd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok ;) If you look at this post: https://gbatemp.net/threads/mame-2003-plus.499497/

Wiimpathy fixed somes sound issues for games that use m92 driver.. it have fixed two files usrintrf.c and cheat.c and add a flag:
added -fsigned-char to the PLATCFLAGS

theses fix the sounds issues with many game like hook, baseball bat man, blade master, etc.

Does your repository is mame 2003-plus or mame2003-plus (experimental) ? in the retroarch rpx file I downloaded from the website in the Wii U I have mame 2003-plus named (experimental) ..

I help maintain the official mame2003-plus repository: https://github.com/libretro/mame2003-plus-libretro/

Can you link me to the code with the fixes?

Is the only fix to the m92 sound core? I see that issue has to do with signed versus unsigned chars and was fixed for the WiiU with a compiler flag.

That seems like something we should be able to address in the main mame2003-plus repository.

I did find the source but I can't download it because my browser has flagged it as dangerous. Based on the description in the other thread it sounds like the only functional change was in the Makefile.

Wiimpathy

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah, it's essentially a Wii dedicated Makefile to be able to split mame because there's not enough ram. I've also changed the V60 cpu speed for sega32 as Arcadez suggested.
Anyway, it's wii specific and I've lost interest. I might try to put this stuff on github one day...

The firefox warning is a false positive but it's very annoying. All my wii stuff are there for years. I've read that firefox uses data from Google's "Safe Browsing" to flag dangerous content. That may be yet another reason for me to avoid this search engine...

markwkidd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it's essentially a Wii dedicated Makefile to be able to split mame because there's not enough ram. I've also changed the V60 cpu speed for sega32 as Arcadez suggested.
Anyway, it's wii specific and I've lost interest. I might try to put this stuff on github one day...

We might be able to incorporate the split cores into the official Makefile in some way, or at least make it available as part of the official repository in some other way. If you just want to paste the Makefile into pastebin I'll take a look -- no need for you to set up a whole github repository just for us to talk about it.

No worries either way, thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1