How to choose a desk chair for PC gaming?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Celice, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Celice
    OP

Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    My nieces recently decided standing in my chair was a good idea, and the bottom plate of the chair snapped, putting it out of commission. It was one of those office boss, leather chairs, which was cool, but I received it as a gift.

Their parents are replacing my chair with whatever I pick out, within reasonable grounds (the original chair was $100 and is the base). However, I'm not really sure what to look for in a desk chair, especially knowing that many Staples and Office Depot like places carry chairs that dependably fail after a year or so of use.

I've heard good things of mesh chairs, but online, you tend to get such a niche audience's reception of the product that it's hard to trust what you hear or read. Any one here have some more personal recommendations or ideas?

2. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    In my quest to find the perfect chair (one I expect to spend many years using at my desk), I ended up with this. This wasn't through looking at any reviews or recommendations or anything, but by going around to all the various shops that sold chairs and sitting in them and eventually picking this one because it felt so good.

That said, online recommendations do tend to point to those "ergonomic" chairs like this one. Personally, when I tried them, they were only marginally better but cost double the price or more.

3. Black-Ice

Black-Ice Founder of the Church of Renamon

Oct 31, 2011
    London
    When i chose my chair, it was after walking around Ikea and sitting in things.
    £25, comfortable and not flashy at all.

The sit test is the most important with chairs

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Roll on down to the second hand office furniture supply shop. Find chair there that would usually retail for considerably more than what you end up paying for it. Rejoice in that you now have a very nice chair for a lot less than you would have paid for it.

Alternatives include fixtures and fittings and type auctions for companies that have just gone bust, though this may be harder to do at a given point in time. I have also found some good deals in the Ikea "buy it off us so we do not have to scrap it" place, however that is less common.

Sitting is good, points of articulation is good, headrest is good, wheels might be worth considering and all are well worth checking out. Weight is a reasonable indicator for me -- if I threw it at you and you would probably tell me it stings then it is likely not a good chair, if I threw it at you and chances are you would not be able to say anything for little while then it is good.

You may also wish to stretch in it and move around a bit. I do not mind a squeaky chair myself but at times when living with other people my chair squeaking until 4am has not made me popular.

Mesh is good and I have no issue with it, however it tends to make things expensive (someone made it fashionable) and some of the modern cotton covered stuff is pretty cool in the summer and plenty spongy as well.