ROM Hack How to cheat in Animal Crossing: New Horizons (easy way) and have multiple islands

blawar

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is for SX OS, I have no idea about Atmosphere. This is also for all versions of Animal Crossing. No need to match your build ID to whatever version or download any cheats files, It Just Werks™

Step 1) Install Tinfoil (you may already have it installed, if not grab it from https://tinfoil.io/) and make sure your switch is connected to the internet.

Step 2) Pat yourself in the back, because you didn't waste all day fucking setting shit up.

CHEATS

Start Tinfoil:
tinfoil_ac1.png

Go to the installed section, highlight Animal Crossing and press "Y" for info:
tinfoil_ac2.5.png

Press "Y" again for cheats:
tinfoil_ac2.png

Activate the cheats you want, then start the game (SXOS will have to enable the cheats in the rommenu cheat menu as well).
tinfoil_ac3.png

The cheat database is automatically updated from the internet once every two days. You can force an immediate update by deleting sdmc:/switch/tinfoil/db/cheats.json and then accessing the cheat menu again.

If you are using atmosphere, you may have to hold the cheat button when launching the game to enable the cheats.

MULTIPLE ISLANDS

This takes advantage of two features of Tinfoil: a) the ability to name saves, and the fact that despite the islands being "device" saves, Tinfoil stores them under each user.

So the plan here, is continuously backup and restore saves, but set the save comment to which island it represents so you can easily switch between the two. This can be made cleaner by optionally storing one island under one user account, and storing another island under another user account. Note that these are still device saves, so it doesnt matter which account you store the save with in Tinfoil, the save is shared across all accounts, this just could be done for organizational purposes.

Go to the installed section, highlight Animal Crossing and press "L" to get to the backup menu:
tinfoil_ac2.5.png

Press "L" again to take a quick backup. Note that Tinfoil will not take a duplicate backup if you already have one (its checks the file hashes in the save to detect duplicates), then press "Y" to set the comment to change the comment from "None" to whatever we want:
tinfoil_ac_backup2.png

You will now see that exact save was renamed to "Island 1, so what we know what it is:
tinfoil_ac_backup3.png

Now press "R" to change to a new user, and you will notice there are no more saves (they are stored under each user). Assuming you deleted your animinal crossing save in the system settings and created a new one, you could now come back here and take a backup under a new user:
tinfoil_ac_backup5.png

Then just set the comment here to "Island 2" or whatever you want to distinguish it:
tinfoil_ac_backup6.png

And that is it. It is important to note however that Tinfoil will take a backup automatically when you try to restore a save (this is to prevent accidental game save dataloss), so even if you store different islands on different user saves, as soon as you restore, it will create a new save state which you can just either mark as the other island or just leave the comment as "None" so you know to ignore it.

Legend Of Kay

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Cheats for animal crossing in tinfoil don’t show up for me. I deleted the cheats.json file, I’m connected to the internet and I’m using SXOS. What could be the issue?

blawar

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cheats for animal crossing in tinfoil don’t show up for me. I deleted the cheats.json file, I’m connected to the internet and I’m using SXOS. What could be the issue?

Assuming you are on the latest update, give me a few i'll manually clear the cache so it refreshes. Normally only does that automatically every day or so.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just checked the cache, it was already refreshed. Are you on the latest patch? Because I do not see any cheats for v2 of the game:

https://tinfoil.io/Title/01006F8002326000

From what I understand, some people were just renaming the build id from v1 to v2... but this feels risky. Will do some research tomorrow to see if that is safe, I saw some reports of people's games crashing so its probably best to wait for the original cheat authors to port their cheats.

Reactions: terraplen

Legend Of Kay

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Assuming you are on the latest update, give me a few i'll manually clear the cache so it refreshes. Normally only does that automatically every day or so.

Just checked the cache, it was already refreshed. Are you on the latest patch? Because I do not see any cheats for v2 of the game:

https://tinfoil.io/Title/01006F8002326000

From what I understand, some people were just renaming the build id from v1 to v2... but this feels risky. Will do some research tomorrow to see if that is safe, I saw some reports of people's games crashing so its probably best to wait for the original cheat authors to port their cheats.
I am on the latest patch released yesterday yeah. That must be it. I can wait no problem. Prefer not to risk anything.

LeRenard

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Good evening, is it possible to confirm, that with two backups made by tinfoil, each account will have its own island and personal history?

blawar

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good evening, is it possible to confirm, that with two backups made by tinfoil, each account will have its own island and personal history?

you have to manually keep them separate, it’s explained in the guide. However it’s impossible to mess up and accidentally lose a save as tinfoil always backs up the save before restoring, so give it a shot :)

LeRenard

Trophies
XP
Country
France
you have to manually keep them separate, it’s explained in the guide. However it’s impossible to mess up and accidentally lose a save as tinfoil always backs up the save before restoring, so give it a shot :)

If I save my game, delete it so the other account can create their own with their story.
I save the second under the second account.

So far it's good

But it will not overwrite the other backup of the other account depending on which account I play?

It is this sentence that disturbs me : Note that these are still device saves, so it doesnt matter which account you store the save with in Tinfoil, the save is shared across all accounts, this just could be done for organizational purposes.

Thanks for the quick response by the way ;)

blawar

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I save my game, delete it so the other account can create their own with their story.
I save the second under the second account.

So far it's good

But it will not overwrite the other backup of the other account depending on which account I play?

It is this sentence that disturbs me : Note that these are still device saves, so it doesnt matter which account you store the save with in Tinfoil, the save is shared across all accounts, this just could be done for organizational purposes.

Thanks for the quick response by the way ;)

correct, tinfoil will never overwrite a previous backup, so once you have that second island save, you can switch back and forth

mmdht2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i installed tinfoil. i can see the cheats and toggled one to test and then click A to launch the game. when im in the game. i pressed home and into album/sxos cheat. i can see the cheat is enabled. get back to the game and still nothing happens. nothing is in my item 1 slot. tried fish parts, unbreakable axe......
do i have to do something else to see the items? i have no issue with 9999x bell with the other cheats. thanks

blawar

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i installed tinfoil. i can see the cheats and toggled one to test and then click A to launch the game. when im in the game. i pressed home and into album/sxos cheat. i can see the cheat is enabled. get back to the game and still nothing happens. nothing is in my item 1 slot. tried fish parts, unbreakable axe......
do i have to do something else to see the items? i have no issue with 9999x bell with the other cheats. thanks

Do any of the other cheats work? That specific cheat code might just be bad.

Did this could be a way to change the Resident Representative beetwen the user ?

Can you elaborate on what this is? I have never played the game.

LeRenard

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Did this could be a way to change the Resident Representative beetwen the user ?

I'm trying to understand too, I think it's still not very clear. I think to have two different accounts with each island on the same switch, would be to have a second SD with a blank EMUnand from the base sysnand. For me it would be as much as possible to have two accounts on a switch

DEMONDICE

K-K-Kureiji
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do any of the other cheats work? That specific cheat code might just be bad.

Can you elaborate on what this is? I have never played the game.
The Representative is the character on the user account that created the island. All other user accounts can make a character and play on the island, but can't make decisions or major changes. Only the original character can do that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended