How to change the Console ID on a WAD?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Hyperstar96, Jul 23, 2012.

Jul 23, 2012
  1. Hyperstar96
    OP

Member Hyperstar96 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've installed most of my WADs from my previous Wii (R.I.P. disc drive) onto an emulated NAND to use on my second Wii through USB Loader GX. I actually just found out you could do this, and I would've done it years ago had I known. I'm trying to install the WADs that don't work as easily due to being newer (Super Smash Bros, Paper Mario, etc.) on the actual NAND, but I keep getting error -1020 in WAD Manager. I know this is due to the games originally being on my old Wii, so I just need to null out the console ID within each WAD.

My question is... how do I null out the console ID? I know absolutely nothing about hex editing and I just now downloaded a hex editor just for this, so any help would be great :D

2. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States

^^Not sure if that will be a good enough noobie tutorial on hex editing for you, but it's at least worth a try because I'm not going to spend the time trying to teach you.

Skip to 7:00

3. damysteryman

Member damysteryman I am too busy IRL these days...

Antarctica
    http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Ticket
    The Console ID that a VC/WW WAD is assigned to is found at offset 0x1D8 within the WAD's ticket.

First, you have to unpack the WAD (The PC app ShowMiiWads can do this, and also repacking too, but there are other apps), then open the .tik file from the unpack in a hex editor.
    Then, just null out that Console ID at that offset I mentioned above, and save.
    After that, repack the wad.

After that, it should be good to install with a WAD Managing app on the Wii.

4. Hyperstar96
    OP

Member Hyperstar96 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Thanks, I got it working now.