Hardware [How to...] capture video (and audio) from switch over 30s?

barak06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi,
What's the best/cheapest solution (card, hdmi ext...) to capture gameplay from switch games (video and audio) with no 30s limitation and editable on PC ?
THX

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi,
What's the best/cheapest solution (card, hdmi ext...) to capture gameplay from switch games (video and audio) with no 30s limitation and editable on PC ?
THX
I guess that you should use a capture card in docked mode to get the best quality. Unlike the N3DS the switch doesn't have unused extra cpu codes so I wonder if remote stream would be possible (also with the slow WiFi card).
THX

Reactions: PixelatedIvan

MrCokeacola

The Xbox Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can get used component capture devices for pretty cheap these days. Then you just need a hdmi to component adapter. It's a mess of cables but it's cheap and it works. The hdmi to component converter I got even strips hdcp so I can use it to record PS3 as well.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Capture cards are much cheaper anymore Avermedia has a whole line of'em, and they're the most "premium" IMO. but you can find cheaper if you tear ebay apart, and do your research.
On the subject of cheap Ebay capture cards, do *not* go for cheap things like the ezcap. They do work fine, but they tend to break randomly, and really early. Right now, I'm using a used Avermedia Live Gamer Portable Lite I got quite a while back, and it has yet to fail me.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Proto-Propski

Legally Weird!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
On the subject of cheap Ebay capture cards, do *not* go for cheap things like the ezcap. They do work fine, but they tend to break randomly, and really early. Right now, I'm using a used Avermedia Live Gamer Portable Lite I got quite a while back, and it has yet to fail me.

Yeah I agree cheap on ebay is a pretty wide range, which is why you should always do your Homework with Sellers, and the Products being sold, Avermedia is definately more trusted, and reliable of a brand as far as Affordable Capture Cards are concerned, personally I've got myself their first gen Live Gamer Portable as I'm always on the road, but it does have some shakey Driver Support for it's PC Mode at 1080p 30 FPS on Windows 10 which somehow makes it, so I have to reinstall the drivers every, so often, or face the Blue Ring of Death, or whatever, but regardless it's never refused recording in PC-less Mode at 720p 60FPS. that aside way better then some of the garbage choices out there on ebay by a million, and one.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Yeah I agree cheap on ebay is a pretty wide range, which is why you should always do your Homework with Sellers, and the Products being sold, Avermedia is definately more trusted, and reliable of a brand as far as Affordable Capture Cards are concerned, personally I've got myself their first gen Live Gamer Portable as I'm always on the road, but it does have some shakey Driver Support for it's PC Mode at 1080p 30 FPS on Windows 10 which somehow makes it, so I have to reinstall the drivers every, so often, or face the Blue Ring of Death, or whatever, but regardless it's never refused recording in PC-less Mode at 720p 60FPS. that aside way better then some of the garbage choices out there on ebay by a million, and one.
Huh, I've never had that issue. I'd like to get a new card for PCless mode myself, but for now, my LGP Lite is doing just fine, so meh. It's not like I don't have a PC with me most of the time anyway

Proto-Propski

Legally Weird!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Huh, I've never had that issue. I'd like to get a new card for PCless mode myself, but for now, my LGP Lite is doing just fine, so meh. It's not like I don't have a PC with me most of the time anyway

Yeah IDK what causes the issue with the LGP C875, some experience it, and some don't, but apparently they fixed it with the LGP 2, so if you ever want to upgrade then I'd suggest that especially considering the LGP 2 Plus came out recently, so the price is getting more reasonable now.

Last edited by Proto-Propski,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Psi has been banned in the state of California.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am the cancer!!! lol
    Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol
    Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want to play and enjoy the old old ganes
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Shouldn't preservation be legal tho?
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I always see this dude's shorts, he sounds pretty annoying.
    +1
    Preservation yeah it absolutely should be legal
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Believe Japan was going to make it legal at some point, according to a Kotaku story.
    +1
    I swear like 99% of arcade games wouldn't even exist these days outside of MAME the arcade machines are old and busted very few ever saw any sort of home conversion
    We get 37 versions of Super Mario Bros but 0 of Beast Busters
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, There's a lot of obscure Japanese arcade titles that are either lost to time or dumped.
    +1
    It's so unfair, maybe AI can save us lol
    I mean if a company could use AI to do the work of a home conversion for essentially free why not? The rights for some games are completely lost though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, AI is taking our jobs!
    +1
    Just tried the Master System version.... Ugghh
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just tried the Master System version.... Ugghh