Hacking how to burn at lower speeds?

masta21

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what do i need to get to be able to burn at 3x and lower speeds....i even went out and got a new dvd burner and i can still only burn at 4x speed.

help plz

Miles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Burning speed doesn't affect anything but the time you use up burning a disc.
The data will be the same.
I always verify my discs after I burn them, and so far I haven't had any problems when burning DVD-Rs and DVD+DLs at max speed.

Don Killah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Always burn at the lowest speed your media AND drive support.
So if your drive only support 4x as the lowest one, use it.
Problem solved mate, all backups should be running fine.

Miles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
masta21 said:
whats the highest burn speed gamecube games can support?

or is there no limit.
There's no limit.
It's a myth that burning at lower speeds will make a better write.
If your drive isn't messed up, you should burn the exact same data at 1x as you would at 22x.

masta21

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alright, thanks for the fast responses
smile.gif

edit: also how do i edit the wiki to put a game that doesn't work on the list.
i see they finally put zoids battle legends on non-working...zoids Vs III has the same problem of getting the main menu and any choice gives error.

SilverSurfR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Myth of burning slower. Discs are made to perform at an ideal rotational speed, which is where write strategy originates. The disc will perform best up to a certain speed, and the drive will not permit any faster. The inverse is the same, but until recently, drives would not prevent unreasonably low speeds. Modern human nature tends to want more speed and more power, so this was not really a concern.

But believe it or not, there are still people who insist on waiting 55-60 minutes to burn a CD or DVD at 1x speed, because they are convinced anything faster will yield a bad or "lower" quality burn. However, burning too slow is often just as bad as burning too fast. Because of this unreasonable impulse to go too slow, some discs and drives now block out the lower range too (and causes problems, see the 16x section for more).

There was some truth to that statement in the beginning, (circa 1995 for CD-R, 2001 for DVD-R), but those days are long gone. The only reason that myth ever held truth was because 2x was the fastest speed, and burning a single full or half speed under the maximum rating is helpful on lower quality blank CD/DVD media. If you are worried about quality, or if the media tends to be dodgy quality at the maximum rated speed, then burn a full or half step slower. No more. With a 8x disc, for example, a burn speed of 4x or 6x would be optimal.

From http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/advancedconcepts.htm
Link courtesy of some other GBATemper who's name I cannot remember.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs