How to BRICK a Nintendo DS (Lite) - TESTED - 100% WORKING!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lAkdaOpeKA

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Now, even though the rest of this guide is written ironically, I'm being completely serious here: if you follow the steps in this guide, your DS will BRICK FOR REAL!!! Only DS Lites can be unbricked after, and that requires replacing the BIOS chip. You've been warned, I'm not responsible for any bricked DSes.

Have you ever looked at your old, perfectly working Nintendo DS/Nintendo DS Lite, and thought: <<I just wish I could completely brick this thing by only using a flashcart...>>?
Well, fear no more, because this guide is written to accomplish just that! By the end of this guide, your DS will be 100% useless and you'll only be able to use it as a paperweight. Well, almost 100%, because, if you have a DS lite, you can still unbrick it, although it requires taking it apart.

Required stuff:
  • A working NDS flashcart
  • The flashcart's Micro SD card
  • A Micro SD card reader for PC
  • Gateway 3DS' NVRAM Installer (the .nds one which was used to boot the Gateway on 3DSes with 4.x firmware)
  • Your 100% working DS/DS Lite

Instructions:
  1. Insert the Micro SD card into the Micro SD card reader and connect it to your PC
  2. Copy the Gateway 3DS NVRAM Installer to the root of your SD card
  3. Remove the SD card from the PC and put it back in the flashcart
  4. Put your flashcart in your DS and the load it up
  5. Open the file browser (if required) and load up the NVRAM installer
  6. Press A to continue, then press A two more times to start the installation (although the options you choose shouldn't matter)
  7. Wait for the installer to finish (it will take some time), then press A to power off the console
If you have followed every step carefully, then congratulations! Now your DS won't boot anymore, and will instead leave you with two blank screens.
And no, even hard resetting (removing the battery from the console and putting it back) won't fix it!

Sadly, as I said before, you can actually unbrick if you did this on a DS Lite, although it requires taking apart your device and replace the BIOS chip with another from an unbricked DS.
Here's how to do it, if for some reason you desire to do so:
  1. Remove the flashcart from your DS Lite, and remove any GBA carts you have plugged in (even the protector)
  2. Unscrew the battery cover from the back of your DS Lite, and remove the battery.
  3. Unscrew the five tri-wing screws and the two Philips #00 screws hidden under the rubber feet.
  4. Lift up the back cover and remove the shoulder buttons (beware, those shoulder buttons use little annoying springs which will end up flying everywhere)
  5. On the motherboard, you will see a small removable board with a black cable attached to it. Everyone thinks it's just the WiFi card, but it actually also contains the BIOS chip
  6. Unplug the black cable and remove the board from its connector by lifting it up
  7. Install the board from the unbricked DS Lite, and remember to also plug in the black cable
  8. Try to put both shoulder buttons back in place properly without swearing too much
  9. Put the back cover back in and screw it back on
  10. Put the battery back, alongside with the battery cover
Now your DS Lite should be working again, but as I said before, I see no reason why you would actually try to fix it.

Last edited by lAkdaOpeKA,
D

Deleted User

Now, even though the rest of this guide is written ironically, I'm being completely serious here: if you follow the steps of this guide, your DS will BRICK FOR REAL!!! Only DS Lites can be unbricked after, and that requires replacing the BIOS chip. You've been warned, I'm not responsible for any bricked DSes.

Have you ever looked at your old, perfectly working Nintendo DS/Nintendo DS Lite, and thought: <<I just wish I could completely brick this thing by only using a flashcart...>>?
Well, fear no more, because this guide is written to accomplish just that! By the end of this guide, your DS will be 100% useless and you'll only be able to use it as a paperweight. Well, almost 100%, because, if you have a DS lite, you can still unbrick it, although it requires taking it apart.

Required stuff:
  • A working NDS flashcart
  • The flashcart's Micro SD card
  • A Micro SD card reader for PC
  • Gateway 3DS' NVRAM Installer (the .nds one which was used to boot the Gateway on 3DSes with 4.x firmware)
  • Your 100% working DS/DS Lite

Instructions:
  1. Insert the Micro SD card into the Micro SD card reader and connect it to your PC
  2. Copy the Gateway 3DS NVRAM Installer to the root of your SD card
  3. Remove the SD card from the PC and put it back in the flashcart
  4. Put your flashcart in your DS and the load it up
  5. Open the file browser (if required) and load up the NVRAM installer
  6. Press A to continue, then press A two more times to start the installation (although the options you choose shouldn't matter)
  7. Wait for the installer to finish (it will take some time), then press A to power off the console
If you have followed every step carefully, then congratulations! Now your DS won't boot anymore, and will instead leave you with two blank screens.
And no, even hard resetting (removing the battery from the console and putting it back) won't fix it!

Sadly, as I said before, you can actually unbrick if you did this on a DS Lite, although it requires taking apart your device and replace the BIOS chip with another from an unbricked DS.
Here's how to do it, if for some reason you desire to do so:
  1. Remove the flashcart from your DS Lite, and remove any GBA carts you have plugged in (even the protector)
  2. Unscrew the battery cover from the back of your DS Lite, and remove the battery.
  3. Unscrew the five tri-wing screws and the two Philips #000 screws hidden under the rubber feet.
  4. Lift up the back cover and remove the shoulder buttons (beware, those shoulder buttons use little annoying springs which will end up flying everywhere)
  5. On the motherboard, you will see a small removable board with a black cable attached to it. Everyone thinks it's just the WiFi card, but it actually also contains the BIOS chip
  6. Unplug the black cable and remove the board from its connector by lifting it up
  7. Install the board from the unbricked DS Lite, and remember to also plug in the black cable
  8. Try to put both shoulder buttons back in place properly without swearing too much
  9. Put the back cover back in and screw it back on
  10. Put the battery back, alongside with the battery cover
Now your DS Lite should be working again, but as I said before, I see no reason why you would actually try to fix it.
shorter guide
you need
3ds
ds lite
pc
knowledge

inject flashme into ds download station
run it on 3ds with flashcart
download on ds lite
flash to 5% then short sl1 and vr1
???
profit
realise you just bricked your childhood

APartOfMe

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shorter guide
you need
3ds
ds lite
pc
knowledge

inject flashme into ds download station
run it on 3ds with flashcart
download on ds lite
flash to 5% then short sl1 and vr1
???
profit
realise you just bricked your childhood
Shortest method

What you need:
DS
Knife

1. Stab your DS near the middle of the bottom screen
2.????
3. Profit!

PossiblyOne

Alive For Now
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, thanks! Now I don’t have to spend money on a paperweight!

shorter guide you need 3ds ds lite pc knowledge inject flashme into ds download station run it on 3ds with flashcart download on ds lite flash to 5% then short sl1 and vr1 ??? profit realise you just bricked your childhood

I totally want to brick my childhood.

lAkdaOpeKA

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Then here's something you might have missed, in gigant blue text:
Now, even though the rest of this guide is written ironically, I'm being completely serious here: if you follow the steps in this guide, your DS will BRICK FOR REAL!!! Only DS Lites can be unbricked after, and that requires replacing the BIOS chip. You've been warned, I'm not responsible for any bricked DSes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr